Best car to sleep in back with no modifications?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 61 Ford Galaxy convertible. With the top up I could sleep in the trunk, head just behind the back seat, feet by the taillights. They don't make cars like that anymore.

JanaBanana said:
I have a Toyota 4Runner.  I took the back seats out and built a platform that is 75" * 32"  This is only 7" narrower than a twin size bed and the same length.  I removed the rear seats and built the platform to gain a lot of space for storage under the bed and where the seats were. 

With the back seats in and folded down, you lose about 6 inches of length because of the way the headrests on the back seats fold up.  Even so, if you had a platform that was raised up so it goes over those folded headrests, you could get back to twin size again. 

As for gas milage, not the greatest.  Depending on conditions, I get about 20 to 22 on average.  If there is a strong headwind, then it drops to about 17 or 18.  The best milage I have gotten was in the mid 30s!  I am serious!  This was with a 40 mph tailwind on mostly level roads.
I was this close to buying a 4Runner instead of the Ford Transit I ended up with.
Always been a fan of the older 4Runner/Hilux Surf. They were ubiquitous in Northern California in the 80's and 90's.
And Hilux are famous for reliability!

As far as gas mileage, I used to get almost 30 in my old Subaru Outback.
Other Outback owners would call me a liar. But it really has a lot to do with how you drive. I was taught to drive by a former chauffeur.
He would say "act like there is an egg under the gas pedal". And I've never been able to unlearn that. Slow acceleration. Staying in the same lane. Conserving momentum through turns. It's much easier on the brakes too.
Also, when you have a van full of books, food and an acoustic guitar. Sudden stops and starts make unpleasant noises!

I'm still trying to figure out the quoting feature.

I had two Subaru prior to the 4Runner. My Forester averaged about 33mpg and the Crosstrek could get up to 44 mpg. And yes, it makes a huge difference in the way you drive. The egg under the gas pedal is a good way to describe it. Tires and brakes last a long time as well.

The great milage of the Crosstrek is the only thing I miss about it.

Four wheel drive pickup with a back seat 20 mpg highway, 18mpg streets.

I eventually built a bunk after removing the seat, for more storage below the bunk. My cab had lots of creature comforts so pretty deluxe campout for "sleeping in the car."

I left a gap to reach into the storage space from the front seat & could pull out everything from snacks to dog toys with my free hand. The dog thought it was magic.

I can remember him trying to squish his face through that hole trying to get stuff.

My van has yet to attain that level of convenience & luxury. But I can stand up in it.
-crofter

Subaru Outback

Attachments

• 9833E05E-4414-4B38-8D80-41F44998D58D.jpeg
    9833E05E-4414-4B38-8D80-41F44998D58D.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 3
I think pound for pound in terms of solid reliability, low total cost of ownership, nice hatchback and sleeping area, gas engine automatically kicking on to recharge battery, fuel efficiency, etc...the Prius is probably the best overall choice of a car to sleep in on long road trips/camping trips.

But something in me is not crazy about getting a Prius b/c so many other people have them. Even though this is not rational or logical thinking on my part! Ever other uber driver has one, etc.... I just don't want to be another generic clone. Something irrational in me just never wants the same thing as most other people have.

Plus I may (or may not) spend a decent amount of time in snow country and possibly on dirt roads (not sure of this yet...depends on some family stuff and choices I need to back where to move and base myself).
LMAOFF Yeah we been looking at replacing our aged expensive to maintain CRD and the other 1/2 was favoring a Subaru and I had the same issue aside from the massive price increases from the greedy manufacturers looking to stick it further under the guise of covid to us. I was a life long Toyo owner but since the son took that over as many brands it is not at all as was unless your comparing it to the usual inept greedy auto makers then it looks better. My issue with the Prius in addition to not a herd type either is that is sucks in snow and if I need to be home there is serious snow,monsoons and mud annually. So I may have to settle on a Subaru eeks or just keep dumping replacement parts as long as I can get the part into my CRD.

I had an older Acura that the back seat folded down, so part of you was in the trunk area. One of my Chevy's did this as well. From the outside they looked like sedans.

I am a fan of Subaru. Live in Alaska and it is reliable and can get through some tough weather. I made my 2016 Forester into a camper for me and my dog last summer. Very comfortable sleeping. Cot sized bed down one side and built a cabinet down the other. Cooked on pull out table in back.

Attachments

• 20210615_183934.jpg
    20210615_183934.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 9
I slept in the back seat of my 1992 Mercy Grand Marquis. Plenty of space for my 5' 10", plus a huge trunk for all the belongings.

Now they even make inflatable beds which fit rear seats, they go on top and fill the back passenger's foot wells.

So any Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis/Lincoln TownCard would do. I had the windows blacked out, worked like a charm.

Cheers!

Many vehicle ago I had a 2 door Saturn. I removed the front, right seat and the back of the left, rear seat. Two 2x10 and an air mattress made up the bed. Part of it was hinged because the driver's seat needed to be forward to make the headboard. The deep cycle battery was in the box supporting the head of the bed. Half of the trunk and the drawers in the front allowed plenty of storage. All of my vehicles since then have been larger, with the Kia Sportage RV being the current choice.

MG

Attachments

• Saturn 2012 4.jpg
    Saturn 2012 4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Saturn RV  2012 3.jpg
    Saturn RV 2012 3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 402589_10151176450599916_451352140_n_10151176450599916.jpg
    402589_10151176450599916_451352140_n_10151176450599916.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 6
  • 538815_10151176450499916_11358932_n_10151176450499916.jpg
    538815_10151176450499916_11358932_n_10151176450499916.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 6
The Prius is great to sleep/camp in. Great mileage, the ability to leave it "on" and have A/C all nite if needed. Can also get a 1 or 2KW inverter and power an induction cooker,microwave,Magic Pot, fans,lites,Tv etc etc.
Also, check out TailVeil.com
How do you leave a Prius "on?" I have a 2007 and a 2017 Prime and my experience has been that the air will shut off. Are you leaving it in aux or fully on?