Headroom for sitting up in bed?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentient Loon

Reaction score
My beloved "coffin" (97 Subaru Outback) is still alive and kicking, but I'm saving up for my next adventure-mobile. My goal is to find a vehicle that gets good gas mileage, handles forest service roads, allows me to sleep stretched out (I'm 5'6, 130lbs), and sit upright in bed. The Outback meets all but the headroom requirement, which I've realized is very important to me. My old minivan, by comparison, was a mansion that hated dirt roads. I was planning on a bigger SUV or a small truck, but I'm curious... would a small CUV work?

I've been doing internet research for days, but I'm having trouble finding examples of small campers (Honda CR V, Toyota RAV4, Subaru Forester, etc) that are built with NO raised bed platform. I also like to remove my rear seats, but most builds seem to leave them in. Does anyone know if any of these small popular SUV/CUV's allow you to sit up inside?

For a brief background, I live for hiking and nature photography, and like to hit the road for weeks and months at a time. I'm finally making some money online, and plan on working and editing in my car during these trips. www.lucentjourneys.com

Good for you for hitting the road! I am in a Dodge Grand Caravan with the middle seats removed and the rear seats stowed. I have a cot and can sit straight up on it. I am a 5' 6" woman. I love this van because I can get out a folding table and work on my laptop while sitting on the side of the bed. It is ideal for me.

I have a '97 Grand Caravan. I got a narrow twin frame for my bed and it has 14" legs. If they were 2" shorter, I'd be able to sit straight up in bed. I can almost sit straight up now at the head of the bed right behind the front seats but not quite.

Yeah I LOVED my old minivan (Isuzu Oasis). Spent several months living out of it and had storage space to spare. Problem was by the time I was done with it my mechanic said the undercarriage was dented like a golf ball from all the off road driving, lol.

When I made my bed I measured how much space I needed to sit up, and added 4 inches.
Then I cut the legs to allow for this sitting-up space.
The mattress is 5 inches thick, but it is compressed when I sit on it, so I have about 1-2 inches space from the top of my head to the ceiling.
Measure twice, eh?

I took one of the back seats out of my Kia Sportage and replaced it with a box so that I have a bed between the front seat and the tailgate.  The box is bolted to the same bolts as the seat.  The other, smaller, rear seat is my living room when I push and tilt the driver seat all the way forward.  I can sit up enough to read in the bed but have lots of headroom in the living room.  Sitting on the bed is a good place to pull on pants, tie shoes and stuff like that.  I'll probable take out the other front seat some day but, for now, it folds down quite low and has a handy box on top of it. I'm about 5' 11 and 15/16 inches. I usually just call it 6 feet.

Attachments

• Kia 2.JPG
    Kia 2.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Left 4 copy.JPG
    Left 4 copy.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 20
I chose to buy a Honda Element as they have the most headroom of all the mini SUVs. The floor in the rear is flat. No carpet in them, just an easy to wash plastic floor. Some of the mode versions are AWD which I would reommend you choose for the. NFS roads as you csn encounter loose gravel and some sand too. Very reliable vehicle. However they do have a small szed alternator and battery so you will either need to upgrade those items if you want to run a 12v compressor fridge and charge devices or invest in solar panels and a house battery.

The youtube chanel Element Van Life has many videos about full time travel in one. Plus there are many articles and videos showing them outfitted for camping. They quit being made in 2011 and despite rumors there is no plan to revive making them again.

Sentient Loon said:
My goal is to find a vehicle that gets good gas mileage, handles forest service roads, allows me to sleep stretched out (I'm 5'6, 130lbs), and sit upright in bed. 

Being able to sit up is really important to me, so is having some type of table. A TV tray has worked well before. Good luck on your search!

maki2 said:
I chose to buy a Honda Element as they have the most headroom of all the mini SUVs. The floor in the rear is flat. No carpet in them, just an easy to wash plastic floor. Some  of the mode versions are AWD which I would reommend you choose for the. NFS roads as you csn encounter loose gravel and some sand too.  Very reliable vehicle. However they do have a small szed alternator and battery so you will either need to upgrade those items if you want to run a 12v compressor fridge and charge devices or invest in solar panels and a house battery.

The youtube chanel Element Van Life has many videos about full time travel in one. Plus there are many articles and videos showing them outfitted for camping. They quit being made in 2011 and despite rumors there is no plan to revive making them again.

Elements certainly are cool, but I'd be nervous about purchasing a 10+yr old vehicle. I'm hoping to invest in something younger with low mileage so I can get many years out of it. Thanks for the suggestions though!

My beloved "coffin" (97 Subaru Outback) is still alive and kicking, but I'm saving up for my next adventure-mobile. My goal is to find a vehicle that gets good gas mileage, handles forest service roads, allows me to sleep stretched out (I'm 5'6, 130lbs), and sit upright in bed. The Outback meets all but the headroom requirement, which I've realized is very important to me. My old minivan, by comparison, was a mansion that hated dirt roads. I was planning on a bigger SUV or a small truck, but I'm curious... would a small CUV work?

I've been doing internet research for days, but I'm having trouble finding examples of small campers (Honda CR V, Toyota RAV4, Subaru Forester, etc) that are built with NO raised bed platform. I also like to remove my rear seats, but most builds seem to leave them in. Does anyone know if any of these small popular SUV/CUV's allow you to sit up inside?

For a brief background, I live for hiking and nature photography, and like to hit the road for weeks and months at a time. I'm finally making some money online, and plan on working and editing in my car during these trips. www.lucentjourneys.com
I converted my Forester without a platform. I made a small raised area at the back so my head and feet were level. I made a pull out table under this foot area. With the seats in but folded down and my mattress I could stretch out and sort of sit up but it was still a bit of a recline. I was comfortable sitting in the back to read while it was stormy but I could not exactly sit straight up.

I am looking to modify my Forester more this summer and take the rear seats out altogether. Then I think I could sit upright in bed. Christopher Chase has a YouTube channel that shows options for a Subaru. I want to access the spare tire so I did not put a platform over that area. Here is a picture of me sitting in the back with my dog on a rainy day.

I think all you people looking for a bed area with headroom, can utilize a bunch of milk crates for base. They are very strong and stable, and you can use them to store your stuff too. (Each one of them holds 4 gallons of water securely.)
They are about the height a regular car seat would be, if you put some plywood and a mattress on top. So that leaves enough room to sit on without bumping your head. Just string them together, so they don't wander around when you turn or hit the brakes. Grocery stores will let you have them for a couple of bucks a piece, but if you like the fancy brand new ones you can pay 7-8 dollars at Walmart.

Did you find anything that worked for you? I bought a 2020 Santa Fe Limited and it's a great luxury vehicle but the worst vehicle possible for vanlife. I want to trade it for something that works a lot better and has all the pluses you mentioned.

I agree that being able to sit upright is very important! And in this day any vehicle that is van or truck like is severely overpriced. SUVs aren't so bad though. And you can cut the roof off an SUV and build a high-top! It isn't that hard... plywood and an exterior coat of fiberglass would be my suggestion. With a 18" or so extension you'd have a lot of room, maybe even able to stand in spots.
Yeah I LOVED my old minivan (Isuzu Oasis). Spent several months living out of it and had storage space to spare. Problem was by the time I was done with it my mechanic said the undercarriage was dented like a golf ball from all the off road driving, lol.
Minivans have terrible ground clearance, but you can get lifts for some and put bigger tires on and improve that a bit. SUVs are somewhat better, but most aren't really designed for offroad use.

If you want a comfortable living space and good offroad ability and durability... I'd suggest letting the MPG kinda just be what it is. Especially if you have a newish vehicle, the cost of fuel is a small % of total expenses (check Edmunds "true cost to own"), and a large and durable vehicle isn't going to be high on the MPG scale.

If you are buying new, a 4runner would be my pick. If used, Sequoias seem like a better deal. Both are body on frame design, you have lots of options for lifts and upgraded suspensions, and they are as reliable and durable as anything you'll find.