Best car to sleep in back with no modifications?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
ah,  isn't there suppose to be a spare tire in that rear cargo deck storage?  highdesertranger

Yep, it's there.
If you spin off that big gray sheet metal "nut" in the middle, then the whole black tray lifts up and the spare is underneath.
It's got an emergency spare rather than a full size wheel.
:cool:
Pxl.

The Honda Fit folds flush flat in back and the front passenger seat also folds down. By stuffing blankets around front seat you should be able to lie pretty comfortable stretched out. Get a good camping mattress or foam mattress for comfort. But I think I'd rather work with a Prius for the air conditioning comfort.

vantexan said:
The Honda Fit folds flush flat in back and the front passenger seat also folds down.  By stuffing blankets around front seat you should be able to lie pretty comfortable stretched out.  Get a good camping mattress or foam mattress for comfort.  But I think I'd rather work with a Prius for the air conditioning comfort.

Is a Honda Fit big enough to fit someone over 6' sleeping in back?  How are those really small cars in areas with high wind gusts like say highway 90 going though Montana?

Pixelchrome said:
Here's some pix of the interior.

I made the bed board in two pieces so it's more manageable if I have to get into the rear storage space (where the spare tire is etc), and also so I can fold up the rear seats if I want to.

With the passenger seat folded down, it makes a great little table for putting my butane stove on or as a counter top.
Thanks for the pix on the Matrix!  I think that and the Vibe are a terrific economic choice to car camp.  Getting harder to find those used though these days without a ton of miles on them.  Consumer Reports loved the Matrix/Vibe and is one of the few used cars in their vaunted used car "recommended" list (and get a 5 out 5 for historic engine reliability).   You have your set up a lot like I would like to do it.

JamBandFan said:
Thanks for the pix on the Matrix!  I think that and the Vibe are a terrific economic choice to car camp.  Getting harder to find those used though these days without a ton of miles on them.  Consumer Reports loved the Matrix/Vibe and is one of the few used cars in their vaunted used car "recommended" list (and get a 5 out 5 for historic engine reliability).   You have your set up a lot like I would like to do it.

My search took a while. But I finally found one that had only 86,000 miles on it! I think it was available because its a 5 speed...few people want a stick shift. (I'll admit I used to like a stick, but I guess as I've gotten older now I'd prefer an automatic...especially in traffic.)

But I put up with it to have the peace of mind that comes with low mileage Toyota. :)

As far as wind stability goes, I haven't had any issues whatsoever - it doesn't get blown around at all when an 18 wheeler blasts by, or when I've driven it through storm gust fronts. It has a fairly squat stance.
:cool:
Pxl.

Hi, I am a Matrix Camper, well basically I use my Toyota Matrix for car camping. This is the first post on this board.   :) 

I did the measurement of my Matrix.

The length from the back seat to the position passenger seat push forward maximum is 6 feet. Matrix can fold down the passenger seat but there is the height difference about 6 inches. So if you are taller than 6 feet you have to solve the height difference.  

I am small, so Matrix is very comfortable. But using the back space for the sleeping, it is for the campers smaller than 5'10". If you are taller than that better choose a different car. (if without modification, if you take the front passenger seat you can do it.) 

You should check the Youtube channel "SUV RVing". Tristan uses Toyota RAV4 with the minimum camping setup, no modification. He is 5'11" but it seems he did not push his front seats to the maximum. So it may be suitable to the people over 6 feet. You can learn a lot from his minimalist setup.

I folded down the back seats in my 2016 RAV4 and use a chaise lounge with 2 pads on it as a cot....plenty of storage underneath and room for a shelf over the foot area.

JamBandFan said:
 I like the Toyota Highlander a lot, but very pricey even used high mileage.  

Hey Spreadhead here!   

I'm getting ready to trade up to a First Generation Toyota Highlander.  They are available around 100K Miles under $8000.  I hear that the 2005-2007 models are best, and have the updated engines.  These vehicles are reported to be one of the most reliable vehicles over time.  The drive train is basically from the Camry and they've had plenty of time to work out all the bugs.  It's a decent sized SUV built on a car/unibody platform and has decent ground clearance.  But I would not buy the Hybrid or the AWD versions, more to break down, more maintenance.  They should run to at least 200K miles.  You may have to eventually get the tranny rebuilt.  But it's a GREAT value for the money.  I like it because it has a roof rack for storage when on the road, and can take a trailer hitch.

I want the hybrid version, like a Prius but 4WD, bigger drivetrain higher load capacity.

It's not great on gas mileage, but it is sure fun to drive and backseat folds down and gives plenty of sleeping space.  It's my 4WD 2000 Tahoe with the awesome brush guard on front.  Easy to get off road in it and it's easy to convert from passenger to camping mode.  I bought it when all the depreciation was gone from it.  I probably could sell it today for what I bought it for 2 years ago. 

I also camp in an Astro van, which is good on gas, but I have to remove the seats.  However, when I do I have more headroom than the Tahoe.  Both have their advantages.

wasanah2 I have the big sister version of the Tahoe a Suburban I love old Chevys bought from a older Fellow it has 240,000 on the odometer but newer Crate Motor with 40,000 it was the dirtiest car I have ever seen and smelled to High Heaven:) I'm in the process of cleaning and getting setup as my Home On Wheels on trips I'll post some pics but the suburban stinks on gas but if you need room to stretch its great it will have a sleeping area office/ entertainment and kitchen when done plenty of realestate on the roof for spare-solar & fan. And the 4wd is great to get way out.
Hope Everyone is Blessed with Peace!
mikesgonenoMAD

MikesGonenoMAD said:
wasanah2 I have the big sister version of the Tahoe a Suburban I love old Chevys bought from a older Fellow it has 240,000 on the odometer but newer Crate Motor with 40,000 it was the dirtiest car I have ever seen and smelled to High Heaven:)  I'm in the process of cleaning and getting setup as my Home On Wheels on trips I'll post some pics but the suburban stinks on gas but if you need room to stretch its great it will have a sleeping area office/ entertainment and kitchen when done plenty of realestate on the roof for spare-solar & fan. And the 4wd is great to get way out.

I love the Suburban.  It's a little (only a tad) worse in mileage than my Tahoe, but it's a powerful machine.  I looked at one and nearly bought it.  Made a deal on it with earnest money and the next day he said his wife won't let him sell it and gave me my money back.  It had a nice sunroof on it too.  Probably too posh for me anyway, but it was nice.

I had a stinky car once--even after shampooing.  Detail guy gave me a tip:  If you get the cedar chips that hamsters use and put them on the shampooed and clean carpet and leave them there for a week or so, you can remove/vacuum them out and the oil will be lodged in the carpet and over time it dissipates but there is no more smell in the carpet.  The car smelled like spoiled milk.  It did the trick.  We even put weight on the chips with our feet to impregnate the oil down in there.  Worked beautifully and cedar smells a heck of a lot better than spoiled milk while it's doing its work.  I think in a couple weeks or so the cedar smell too was no longer detected.

You'll have a lot of good times in that 4WD Suburban.  Looking forward to seeing pix.

wasanah2 said:
I love the Suburban.  It's a little (only a tad) worse in mileage than my Tahoe, but it's a powerful machine.  I looked at one and nearly bought it.  Made a deal on it with earnest money and the next day he said his wife won't let him sell it and gave me my money back.  It had a nice sunroof on it too.  Probably too posh for me anyway, but it was nice.

I had a stinky car once--even after shampooing.  Detail guy gave me a tip:  If you get the cedar chips that hamsters use and put them on the shampooed and clean carpet and leave them there for a week or so, you can remove/vacuum them out and the oil will be lodged in the carpet and over time it dissipates but there is no more smell in the carpet.  The car smelled like spoiled milk.  It did the trick.  We even put weight on the chips with our feet to impregnate the oil down in there.  Worked beautifully and cedar smells a heck of a lot better than spoiled milk while it's doing its work.  I think in a couple weeks or so the cedar smell too was no longer detected.

You'll have a lot of good times in that 4WD Suburban.  Looking forward to seeing pix.

Wow! I only have carpet left in Front cockpit but I'm going to try the Ceder I really don't have the talent to re-carpet the front, Back was easier basicly 4 by 8 sheets of insulation - sub floor and Flooring pretty simple even for me:) and yes a Vapor Barrier too!
mikesgoneno-MAD

If you are looking for a car specifically, check out the Ford Flex. Nice square shape with a lot of interior space. It is probably the closest thing to station wagons of the past.

Toyota Highlander XU50 is shown to tall but slim people. By folding the row of rear seats, you get a sleeping place with a length of 203 cm. Even Vitaly Klitschko will feel comfortable in such conditions. True, the width of a car bed is only 116 cm. But on the parlor shelf of 60 cm, all fit perfectly, and here, only 4 cm are not enough for two people. If the previous variant seems a bit small to you, choose a more spacious Toyota RAV4 with a trunk length of 180 cm and a width of 110 cm. But I prefer to sleep at home. I also bought myself a bed and it's so comfortable to sleep on, I just can't sleep anywhere else. Does anyone understand me?

Had an old Plymouth Voyager AKA Dodge Caravan after my Econoline dropped it's drive shaft and needed a new rear end, transmission and driveshaft. Not worth it.
The Voyager was just one big flat space in back when you removed the seats. The places the seats attached were pretty well recessed. Nothing you would feel through a camping pad. Certainly nothing that would interfere with an air mattress or foam mattress.
I did relatively little camping in that car. But I did get in the habit of sleeping in it when I went to see bands at a club and was too drunk to drive. So I had an old school camping pad and a big old comforter that I kept stuffed in a duffel bag.

The downside of these vehicles is that they are FWD and have almost no clearance. So not going too far off road. They also look super goofy IMHO.
Plusses,
great gas mileage. Very incognito.
Both rear seats come out no problem with little levers.
Seems that they kept the body style and such the same for most of the run. Not hard to find or expensive for parts.
Pretty easy to work on esp if you are coming from a doghouse engine full size van.

I'm biased but I'm also 5'3'' :)

There are several videos on YouTube of taller people in a Prius tho. This guy is 6'4'':

That said, if I were over 6' tall, I don't think I'd be barking up this particular tree.

I have a Toyota 4Runner. I took the back seats out and built a platform that is 75" * 32" This is only 7" narrower than a twin size bed and the same length. I removed the rear seats and built the platform to gain a lot of space for storage under the bed and where the seats were.

With the back seats in and folded down, you lose about 6 inches of length because of the way the headrests on the back seats fold up. Even so, if you had a platform that was raised up so it goes over those folded headrests, you could get back to twin size again.

As for gas milage, not the greatest. Depending on conditions, I get about 20 to 22 on average. If there is a strong headwind, then it drops to about 17 or 18. The best milage I have gotten was in the mid 30s! I am serious! This was with a 40 mph tailwind on mostly level roads.