Being evicted from my aunts apartment needing help/advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwade81

Reaction score
I am being evicted from my aunts place she demands I pay 2 times more rent than I can afford from my disability check of 755$ per month I can't walk more than half a mile because of my back and legs and a bad accident I had a few years back. I can walk but only  a few blocks. Then need to sit or lay down for several hours to help get rid of the agony I am in. 

I will have 755 dollars on the 3rd of next month, my credit is shot to hell can't even get a phone with my credit. I am wondering what to do where to turn how to go about buying a vehicle or finding someone who would work with me on making monthly payments of 200 a month or 300 a month so I can live in the car till paid off. There is no uber or lyft or taxi or bus in this area of my town and everything is over 20 miles away. even the homeless shelters are over 20 miles away. I honestly have no idea what to do at this point. The car I did buy was a pos and not worth owning or fixing with how many miles are on it. I don't know what to do at this point. I have 33 days to find something.

first,positive thinking

second,whats the budget and city/state you are at?

Can any of the charity places help you?  How about a buy here pay here dealership?  You could find a vehicle for you to live in and only pay $100-200 per month?  Just an idea.  But for sure- stay positive and think things through.  Asking for help is a good thing!  If I think of other ideas I'll let you know.

The buy here pay here places want too much down I don't have anything saved after being ripped and scammed on that one car.

Does your county have services for the disabled? Sometimes social workers can provide rides. My county has a transportation service for disabled people and senior citizens where they can get rides no fare. They just have to arrange things 24 hours in advance. Maybe your county has some kind of similar service? or, if not, maybe a social worker can get you to a shelter?

What are your feelings about religion? As an atheist, I will admit that Christians sometimes annoy me (and hoooo-boy! Do I annoy some of them!). But I was raised as a Christian so I know that Christianity is a religion where people are taught to be giving. Christians tend to like helping people because they know what a lot of atheists also know. Helping people feels good. Consider reaching out to churches in your area?

Dwade81 said:
The buy here pay here places want too much down I don't have anything saved after being ripped and scammed on that one car.

You are going to have some hurdles.

If you have any prescribed opiates or pain killers things get a bit sketchy in homeless shelters. 

What about food stamps, cash assistance, or other forms of assistance?

Can you get to food banks?

Do you have anywhere you can stay, even for a few months so you could save your disability for a little while and get a van or pickup truck?

Where there is a will there is a way.

Sorry to hear about your disability, I've been in your exact shoes, where walking around a supermarket for ten minutes would require hours of rest and intense pain.

Sorry to hear you luck is running think lately as well, seems like you're getting hit from all directions. A homeless shelter might be your best course of action for the short term, allowing you to save your disability payments until you can afford a decent vehicle that you can then live out of. The longer you can make a homeless shelter, the more you can save for a vehicle. I know it's tough now, while you're in the middle of all this, but just keep your eye on the prize and know that not too far into the future you can have a totally different life full of possibilities.

I'd call the homeless shelters and see if they can help you get a ride there.

slynne said:
Does your county have services for the disabled? Sometimes social workers can provide rides. My county has a transportation service for disabled people and senior citizens where they can get rides no fare. They just have to arrange things 24 hours in advance. Maybe your county has some kind of similar service? or, if not, maybe a social worker can get you to a shelter?

What are your feelings about religion? As an atheist, I will admit that Christians sometimes annoy me (and hoooo-boy! Do I annoy some of them!). But I was raised as a Christian so I know that Christianity is a religion where people are taught to be giving. Christians tend to like helping people because they know what a lot of atheists also know. Helping people feels good. Consider reaching out to churches in your area?

the churches here don't really help unless you been a member for at least 6 months. as for rides I can get rides to and from dr's only with my medicaid transport. but they need an apt to confirm the ride service.

I don't have the car anymore, couldn't afford to put money into it to get fixed then something else happen.

Gary68 said:
whats the car? do you still have it?

the only running van i could find
https://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/6136901368.html

and a popup camper
https://nacogdoches.craigslist.org/rvs/6137005900.html

if you can ruff it,tent camp or shelter and save for a couple months there will be better options

Would you buy that van? There is no phone number to contact them, the website has no form of contact. I sent an email which may be marked as spam on their end they may not reply. I would love to try that van for that price.

I'm not sure if that van is a real ad or not. Says to visit assurecardeals.com to see more pics but that's just a website that connects you to other used car sources....autotrader, auctions, dealerships, etc.

And their contact me link doesn't even work right. So I doubt the van is real but I contacted them off the craigslist ad via email. but still it even if it turns out to be a scam, I still don't know what to do.

That picture has been on the net since last October.  

It is a fake ad to sucker you in.

I've done it before in similar situations(not aunts, but breakups). Back your backpack or whatever, buy a bus ticket out of town and aim for a city well known for homeless services. If you buy the ticket in advance its usually cheaper.

Any other family that would take you in? Also, subsidized housing. Sometimes those lists are long, but some places will put people in homeless shelters at the top of the list.

There are also just rooms you can rent. $300-$400 for a room still leaves you with enough for food. Best of luck to you.

I just googled kilgore tx  help for the homeless.  there is a list and info there.  I'm going back to read it.

The Lutheran Society sponsored by the Luthran Church

I'D LIKE TO KNOW THE NAME OF THE CHURCH THAT SAID YOU HAD TO BE A MEMBER FOR 6mo before they would help you

St Vincent De Paul = Catholic Church Many churchs will help .If you don't ask you'll never know.

For free telephone info for # 1-800-free-411, you have to listen to ads then it says "what city and State"  also asks " business   government   or residential "  if not a home or government it's "business"

if you receive food stamps or other types of gov't help you may qualify for a FREE CELL PHONE and service
Also your food stamp and maybe medicade case workers should help you
SAFE LINK is a provider where I am for the free cell phone program

MY United Way here in AL said that  in Austin they are open today  512-651-1149  If you call them they will tell you where to get help in your area {I got the phone # earlier today}

Gotta go I'm on Mom duty today and also checking on a ill older neighbor.    GOOD LUCK.

Jewellann

Jewellann...what a sweetheart you are! That's a rep+! for helping me like humans today. :cool:

I can't remember which churches it was I was told that but I went to a few that are literally a couple blocks from me a few years ago and that is what they told me there is not much they can do or offer unless I become a member because they have had people scam them from resources before, people who didn't need the help and lied about needing it. 

And I planned on calling a few places monday, salvation army my social worker, i also thought of just gettign a bus ticket stay on the bus during the day and at night city dwell around town in tyler tx. then in august grab a bus ticket to wisconsin go to madison wisconsin to find a place to live.  but not too sure about that yet. its still thought in process.

If you're going to be homeless for an undetermined amount of time, go where the winter is warm! Lol. I'm sure you know this, but Cali is a favorite of many. Southern Cali.