Being evicted from my aunts apartment needing help/advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dwade81 said:
The 899 is even being homeless in California, I even asked if I got an apt or a room mate or something it would still be 899 even on the streets. 

And I can't get Wisconsin off my mind for the past year and half. has nothing to do with California's rent price range.
I can't even stand to read the next 3 pgs of this!  The religious deal is most likely  a cult and a rip off.  I'd bet money that you never see a penny of your money they will "save for you".  I think you need to tell your social worker about this deal.  Or the police.  Crap on a cracker!!

I don't know about Wisconsin,  I do know about South Dakota.  It's inexpensive to live in the smaller communities there.  I like Lennox or Beresford to name a few small towns.  Their public housing prices are low.  The energy program thru the state is easy to qualify for.  Sioux Falls is too much town for me.  There is a big Union Gospel Mission there with a shelter program and big thrift store.  There is also the Salvation Army, The St Vincent De Paul society, &  The Lutheran church social services program.

Yankton SD also has good social services program with a food pantry in the county court house.  I think if I wanted to go back to cold country I'd  go to SD.  Especially on a limited income.

There is or was a van dwelling member here who works in a shelter in Sioux Falls SD.  I think I remember they were taking a summer away. or mission trip, however I'm not sure about that.  If they see this maybe they could add something to this thread

Jewellann

bigsallysmom said:
^I agree with Wabbit.  Turning your wallet and monthly earnings over to an organization sounds very, very sketchy.  It just screams of taking advantage of you.

Agreed, that place sounds over the top controlling and cultish.  

But to clarify the money thing, any HUD approved transitional can do the same thing, it's part of some HUD grants that the participant hand over the vast majority of your earnings or cash in hand (up to 95% depending on the grant) to be held as savings to get your own place.

Great google moggly...do they give you a purple running suit and sneakers too?...reminds me of Hale-Bop comet crazies

This comment is for the criteria of the disciples thing I was talking about. 
When I called him he told me the no contact with anyone rule stays in effect the whole time you are there. But the two biggest things I highlighted in red. 

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=large]Intake Procedure:[/font][/size]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]*   The Applicant will fill out an application and turn into the office.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]*   An interview with the Program Director or at least two Resident Leaders is required.  
     Upon approval from the Interviewers, the recommendation and application will be turned over
     to the Committee for final approval.          
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]*   With final approval, the applicant is accepted and the intake process continues - or, if space 
     does not permit, is placed on a waiting list. 
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]*   If the applicant is not accepted, then the designated leader will inform the applicant.  
     If an applicant is denied, we will try to recommend another program suited for his needs.
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][size=large]  [/font][/size]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][size=large]Applicant Criteria:[/font][/size]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Identification papers and a background check are required.[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We cannot accept applicants, at this time, who:
    a.     are registered sex-offenders
    b.     have medical conditions that require a doctor’s care
    c.     have mental disorders that require a doctor’s care and/or medication
    d.     have violent tendencies. We must protect the safety of our staff and residents.[/font]
  • If you are eligible, an interview will be conducted.  We accept any man who is willing to abide by and adhere to our rules, regulations and by-laws and live under the direction and guidance prescribed in the Bible.
  • Applicants must be drug free and sober upon entering the program.  If not, be willing to go to a detoxification center, prior to entry.
  • All new admissions must go through a 30-day orientation period:
    -  Physical exam and lab test, as needed
    -  Learn routine, go over guidelines and procedures
    -  No outside contact
    -  Counseling / mentoring appointments
    -  No recreational activities 

• Your belongings will be searched for drugs, tobacco or anything that is harmful to your spirit, soul or body.  Random searches will take place.
  • We must be made aware of any medications that you are currently taking.
  • We are not equipped to handle special dietary requirements at this time.
  • Due to space limitations, only the following clothing items will be allowed:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              6            pairs of long pants[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              4            pairs of shorts[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              10          shirts of mixed variety (short or long sleeved)[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              2            sweat shirts & pants[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              1            suit or suit coat[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              2            ties[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              1            light jacket[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              1            heavy coat      [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              2            caps, beanies or hats[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              2            pajamas[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              8            underwear[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              8            pairs of socks[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              1            dress shoes[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              2            sneakers[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              1            work shoes / boots[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]              1            shower slippers [/font]
  • Anything that is not approved or does not comply with the guidelines and procedures will be removed.  
    Family members may pick up confiscated items within 7 days.  Otherwise, we are not responsible for such items.  
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All Identification documents, billfolds, cell phones, money, etc. - must be turned into the office to be locked up.  Items may be check out, when necessary.  Monies will be deposited for safe keeping and resident will be provided with receipt. This is for your protection and ours. [/font]

that's prison :dodgy:. i have two words for that deal

ever beeb to prison? Because this is how you go to prison.

I hear a lot of folks purposely commit crimes in order to have 3 meals, a roof over their heads with free rent...(jail). They just can't seem to make it in society.

no on the cult and i would pass on jail too
you need to save save save every penny you can
i would say tent by the river but that texas heat is a killer
being able to work a fishing pole will get you far,a 2lb catfish and some fried potatoes is good eats and if you can get to the coast it's a goldmine of good food

I found an apt in wisconsin my rent would be 220 a month, they are mailing me an application. I just need to get in to see a psychiatrist to diagnose my mental issues and then fill the form out for the apartment since it is 62 and over or people with physical/mental disabilities. And has a 6 month waiting list. So I will probably shoot up there the end of the month after I see the psychiatrist.

sounds like a plan to me,good job but do work on plan b,c,d because life happens

Yeah, I am not putting all my eggs into one basket for this apt. I learned years ago to have many back up plans.

Dwade81 said:
I found an apt in wisconsin my rent would be 220 a month, they are mailing me an application. I just need to get in to see a psychiatrist to diagnose my mental issues and then fill the form out for the apartment since it is 62 and over or people with physical/mental disabilities. And has a 6 month waiting list. So I will probably shoot up there the end of the month after I see the psychiatrist.
Will they not accept the SSA designating you as disabled?  I've moved into subsidized housing in KY=2007 and AL=2010.  All I ever needed was a statement or document from SSA.  I did need a DRs statement to keep my dog/s.

Jewellann

No, they need a form filled out from a DR stating you are actually mentally disabled. But if one is physically disabled then they wouldn't need that form.

Section 8 housing is 'non-project specific' which means it can be used with anyone who will accept it.  Most new funding goes into project specific housing like you are applying for in Wisconsin and that is a very good plan.  If you do spend time being homeless your waitlist priority will go way up.  You can also save money easily.  I spent a winter in a shelter after first losing my house, there are a few interesting folks and some of the staff are truly called to their work.  DO NOT DRINK WITH ANYONE, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR MONEY AND LIKELY BECOME A REGULAR CLIENT WITH THE LOCAL POLICE.  That will get you in good with any staff worth their salary.

A SSA disability determination should be good for anyone.  Food stamps can be reapplied for in your new State.

I had a vehicle and did it with $189 a month plus food stamps.  There are a lot of people in similar situations everywhere, including here.  You will be stronger for this.

Don't get a van or a car you are not going to like my answer but it is the best bet for you IMHO .You need a wheelchair either motorized or otherwise. Then you need to move to a town that has public transportation their bus has to allow you on the bus Granted you can walk a little you need the wheel chair for those the distance you can't walk. IF I were you I would swallow my pride and fly a sign. You can collect enough to buy yourself a ride. Until you save the money in a savings acct you need to camp in the woods in a hammock , tent, or squat in a house. I rather have a reliable ride than one that is spacious. Efficient reliable. Sometimes your best bet is to find a insurance totaled car that is derivable even if you got to put lights on the rear or it leaks it is better than having a good looking ride in the impound yard because it does not run. You can use a hammer to wack it into better shape you are not looking for something to pick up chicks with you need a place to sleep.

Txjaybird said:
There is or was a van dwelling member here who works in a shelter in Sioux Falls SD.  I think I remember they were taking a summer away. or mission trip, however I'm not sure about that.  If they see this maybe they could add something to this thread

Jewellann

Hi Dwade.

I'm the person Jewellann was referring to that worked in a homeless shelter in Sioux Falls, SD. I worked at the Bishop Dudley Hospitality House for 2 years. I was an overnight client advocate there. I have seen a lot during my time there, too! I have seen people who really wanted the help as well as the "users and abusers." There are also other shelters in Sioux Falls: the St Francis House and the Union Gospel Mission. The Salvation Army no longer offers overnight services anymore if I remember correctly. However, they do help with rent/utility costs BUT one has to go to the Minnehaha County Services Office first. In fact, for ANY help whatsoever, one must go to County first and when/if they get rejected, then Community Outreach, and/or Salvation Army will help if possible.

Have you gotten approved for an apartment in Wisconsin yet? If I remember correctly, you were applying for an apartment, right?

I became a van-dweller because of debts/student loans that were crippling me so I moved into my van to cut expenses. Now, I live in my van because I want to. I have paid off all my debts except for my student loans but I managed to get on an income-driven repayment plan that I can afford to help pay off my student loans. The only other debts I have other than student loans are my monthly living expenses. Right now, though, I am living and working in Yellowstone National Park through the Workamper program. When my season ends, I will return to Sioux Falls to see my daughter and her fiancé as well as some close friends. My daughter is getting married on November 28th! WOW! My youngest child is getting married! Man, do I feel OLD! ROFL!

There are a lot of people I have met up here in Yellowstone who work camp year-round and I am considering doing that until I reach 62 years old which is when I will take early retirement. I can also go back to the BDHH but I am not entirely sure about that since I'm pretty "burned out." I have options, though, which is a good thing.

Seriously though, I agree with what DLTooley posted, so I can't really add anything to this discussion but that I wish you all the best and I hope things work out for you.

VanGrrl57 :)