Becoming a Nevada Resident

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So ... correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I may have figured out a way to obtain NV residency WITHOUT having to pay for a month in an RV park.  According to the official NV DMV residency requirement page, two of the acceptable proofs of address are 

"Bank or credit card statement" 

and 

"Document issued by an insurance agency or its agent, including, without limitation, an insurance card, binder or bill"

Wouldn't it be simple enough to sign up (even just for one month!) with a mail forwarder and then change your banking address (no proof required) and your insurance address (no proof required) and then have a statement and insurance card sent out ASAP?

I suppose the difficult part would be finding a mail forwarder that is not flagged in their system as non-residential and gets rejected.  

Any thoughts?

If I can't find a forwarder to do it I wonder if I could just pay some random Nevada resident to allow me to receive two pieces of mail at their house. I'm betting it would still be cheaper than a month at an RV park

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If a town is big enough like reno, they have a homeless resources center they will let u use their address and then u can get id ect and become a resident. You can Google homeless resource center or call a shelter. Like everything else has its pros and cons!

Doubtful that it would work. They are serious about RealID.

Keep in mind you would be committing fraud against the State and trying to get around a Federal anti-terrorism law.

All to avoid $200-300 for one month where you would not actually have to stay.

I see you are more concerned with the money.

Try the homeless resources as Yogidog suggests.

At first I bristled at being classified "Homeless", now I understand that is the only designation they have for people who choose to not have a physically addressable "home".

If the locality wants to make available useful resources, why not use them.

Whatever address you use it must be a physical address.

If I ever want to emigrate to another state (unlikely) I would check out homeless resources.

It would be nice if like computers, we could have a pointer to our "homes" that the state would be happy with as the pointer would reference our current whereabouts. Scratch that thought.

Regarding residency in NV in general, a few questions for anyone who knows (or is clairvoyant):

1.  Compared to most neighboring states (AZ, NM, UT, etc.) _and_ when all of the nearly meaningless differences are filtered out, is the main (or sole) benefit of NV residency just the lack of a state income tax?  What I'm trying to get at here, in addition to that exact answer, is whether better residency "deals" might be had in nearby states, if a person was willing to pay that state's income tax.

2.  Someone mentioned receiving a drivers license via the mail.  When you apply for a NV drivers license for the first time, doesn't the DMV just hand you the license in person while you wait?  I've never gotten a license in any other way, in any of a few other states, than issued in person.  But it's been a while, so maybe things have changed.

3.  The benefits of NV residency have been pointed out here and in YouTube videos, etc.  However, what are the worst aspects of NV residency, for a mobile person (not at your address constantly like normal folk)?

Thanks.

I can only answer number 2
Just became a NV resident and am waiting for my first DL to arrive in the mail.

Wandering Larry

The only type of DL i've been handed is temporary, used while the permanent is mailed.

If it weren't for Taxes, I would be an Arizona Resident in a heartbeat. I think about doing it anyway and just paying the taxes. Can't bring myself to do it though.
Bob

akrvbob said:
If it weren't for Taxes, I would be an Arizona Resident in a heartbeat. I think about doing it anyway and just paying the taxes. Can't bring myself to do it though.
Bob

So, taxes aside, what things would make AZ residency more attractive to you?

Vagabound

akrvbob said:
Bob

I know that this is an ancient thread; however, based on that statement and your recently released video regarding "Coyote Howls" campground; I've been considering very seriously renting a spot there from now on, and establishing residency in AZ.  I would primarily use it as a home base.

Is there any reason that you would discourage such a decision?   I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Regards, 

Pat

pnolans said:
I know that this is an ancient thread; however, based on that statement and your recently released video regarding "Coyote Howls" campground; I've been considering very seriously renting a spot there from now on, and establishing residency in AZ.  I would primarily use it as a home base.

Is there any reason that you would discourage such a decision?   I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Regards, 

Pat

This was my thought exactly. I'll pay taxes fine, if Coyote Howls can provide a legal address and I can get a driver's license and mail forwarder, I'd do it.

I am an Arizona resident in Page Arizona mainly because that county doesn't have any vehicle inspections. I would check to see if the county Coyote Howls is in does.

pnolans said:

Regards, 

Pat

You'd be paying $550 a year, and then be able to tolerate living there only a few months a year, just to have an address. All the various mail forwarding services are much less than that.

However, if you have stuff you want to store in a shed year round, then Coyote Howls might be a good deal.

I have relatives in Nevada who would probably let me use their address to have some mail sent, or even do up receipts saying I'm renting from them. However, they're all in Las Vegas, so there would be vehicle inspections and higher insurance rates.

Vagabound said:
1.  Compared to most neighboring states (AZ, NM, UT, etc.) _and_ when all of the nearly meaningless differences are filtered out, is the main (or sole) benefit of NV residency just the lack of a state income tax?...

State income tax is only and issue if you have enough income to be taxed.

MrNoodly said:
You'd be paying $550 a year, and then be able to tolerate living there only a few months a year, just to have an address. All the various mail forwarding services are much less than that.

However, if you have stuff you want to store in a shed year round, then Coyote Howls might be a good deal.

Being able to store my Jeep and some tools and such would be worth that for me.  And I could stay there some during the winter.  

I'm going to check it out in the next couple of weeks.  I'll report back on what I find. 

Pat

No one has mentioned the tax at registration on the msrp of your vehicle in nevada. From what i read it sounds like a yearly requirement. I know this is an old thread. Is this something new that Nevada started doing? This has been the deal breaker for me.

pnolans said:

No, I'm a huge fan of Arizona and like I said, the only thing that keeps me from being a resident there is the taxes. If taxes aren't an issue for you, go for it!

Coyote Howls works out to be $45 a month, and when you factor in you can put up an 8x10 storage shed it becomes an outstanding deal. That's cheap for an 8x10 storage shed and you can live there from November to February as well.  October and March are possible, but getting pretty hot.

I too am a big fan of Arizona. after dealing with California for all these years AZ is a breath of fresh air. highdesertranger