Becoming a Nevada Resident

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
decatria said:
Like you Nevada works for me logistically.  Las Vegas is good for all kinds of things too.  I'll most probably do this in the Fall in person.  The only snag I can foresee is getting the right 2 pieces of proof from a Campground.
Steve
(Front row site to Superstition Mountain)

But Vegas has smog requirements

The rent receipt is number one. For number two, go register to vote using the address at the RV park and on the rent receipt. Voter registration is number 2.
Bob

Ohh I need help abouth this:
As a dane on holiday in the US, do I need a Recident adresse to buy an RV?
If yes, Do I need to stay at [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Pahrump for a month to get it?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If I find a vehicle in Nevada, what do I then doooooo...[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If I find a vehicle in another state, what to do if I am a recident of Nevada?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]OHH how do I do this right and most easy??[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I would like to get help before I land in Las Vegas, to know if I have to go to Pahrump first or if I can go and find a vehicle and then....[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Sorry if I am jumping around in my langage bur I am Danish and I know NOTHING about your rules and all that :)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Bear with me.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]:) Maxidane[/font]

Maxine, just for simplicity I'll lay it our very simply:

1) Before you arrive get a mail forwarder and an address.
2) Be watching for a van/RV to buy. With luck you will fly in and buy it that day. If not you can rent a motel there and search Las Vegas till you find one. No point in driving back and forth.
3 I know nothing about foreign banking but you will need some way to buy the van and it needs to be cash, credit card or a check on a US bank. Either open an online account with a US bank or open one as soon as you get here. If you open it when you get here, there may be a hold on the funds and you can't buy anything tell it clears.
4) Do you need a Nevada Drivers License or will your International one do? If you don't need one, don't get it. If you do need one, go to Pahrump and pay for a month at an RV Park, then take the receipt and get your Drivers License.
Bob

akrvbob said:
Maxine, just for simplicity I'll lay it our very simply:

1) Before you arrive get a mail forwarder and an address.
2) Be watching for a van/RV to buy. With luck you will fly in and buy it that day. If not you can rent a motel there and search Las Vegas till you find one. No point in driving back and forth.
3 I know nothing about foreign banking but you will need some way to buy the van and it needs to be cash, credit card or a check on a US bank.  Either open an online account with a US bank or open one as soon as you get here. If you open it when you get here, there may be a hold on the funds and you can't buy anything tell it clears.
4) Do you need a Nevada Drivers License or will your International one do? If you don't need one, don't get it. If you do need one, go to Pahrump and pay for a month at an RV Park, then take the receipt and get your Drivers License.
Bob

Thanks Bob
That is language I understand. Clearly, at a slow pace :)
I dont need a drivers license, The International can do it for the first 6 month!
Now I can relax. Doing the few things you advice me to and then just pack my stuff :) Everything else will be learned by doing in the US.

BUT: I do need an adresse! I can not "live" in an RV park without an RV and I dont know when I find the right one... Can anyone help me with an adresse in Pahrump or elsewhere. As I understand, it scould not be in Las Vegas - Something about the smog test?
I do want an adresse in Nevada!
I will make a mail forward by Marianne in Pahrump, but an adresse by here is not enough for the DMV. 

Thanks and a big hug to you
Maxidane

Maxine said:
I will make a mail forward by Marianne in Pahrump, but an adresse by here is not enough for the DMV. 

If you aren't getting a drivers license, you don't need to do anything special with the DMV. The only reason you'll need a physical address is to buy the insurance for the van/RV and to change the title over, but neither of them will look closely at the address. 

Here's how you get an address; look at the houses for sale in Pahrump, find one that is empty--use that address as your address. None of your mail will ever go there, it will go to the mail forwarder. The new people that buy it wont know who used to live there so if any mail ever does go there, they won't know the difference. Neither the DMV or insurance company will do anything to verify you live there. All they will care about is it is a legal, residence address and not commercial.
Bob

akrvbob said:
If you aren't getting a drivers license, you don't need to do anything special with the DMV. The only reason you'll need a physical address is to buy the insurance for the van/RV and to change the title over, but neither of them will look closely at the address. 

Here's how you get an address; look at the houses for sale in Pahrump, find one that is empty--use that address as your address. None of your mail will ever go there, it will go to the mail forwarder. The new people that buy it wont know who used to live there so if any mail ever does go there, they won't know the difference. Neither the DMV or insurance company will do anything to verify you live there. All they will care about is it is a legal, residence address and not commercial.
Bob

Thanks so much Bob
Now I am ready to land. Just need to get finished here. When my house is sold or latest 4. December I will depart.
Looking very much forward to meeting you and all in the tribe.
Take care and have sun
Maxine

Bob, I have seen more and more states starting to require documentation.

even Florida is doing it too:

Proof of address....this requires two documents mailed to you at that address....
Bank statement
Insurance bill
Utility bill
Rent payment receipt or signed lease
Property tax bill

Plus..proof of legal status....
Green card or
U.S. Passport. Or
Social security card and birth certificate

Some states will only mail the new license and registration to you at that address.

I have seen this become more and more widespread. It seems to be mostly the Republican controlled states that are really going over the top on this.

It was no problem for me to have the necessary stuff mailed to my mail forward address and then bring it to the DMV with my passport. But, this is getting tougher.

It's the Real ID act kicking in. The Republican states have all faught it tooth and nail, but they are finally giving in.

I'll publish a blog post tomorrow explaining it all.
Bib

akrvbob said:
It's the Real ID act kicking in. The Republican states have all faught it tooth and nail, but they are finally giving in.

I'll publish a blog post tomorrow explaining it all.
Bib

Looking forward to this, thanks.

VanKitten said:
Bob, I have seen more and more states starting to require documentation.

even Florida is doing it too:

Proof of address....this requires two documents mailed to you at that address....
      Bank statement
      Insurance bill
      Utility bill
      Rent payment receipt or signed lease
      Property tax bill

Plus..proof of legal status....
      Green card or
      U.S. Passport. Or
     Social security card and birth certificate

Some states will only mail the new license and registration to you at that address.

I have seen this become more and more widespread.   It seems to be mostly the Republican controlled states that are really going over the top on this.    

It was no problem for me to have the necessary stuff mailed to my mail forward address and then bring it to the DMV with my passport.   But, this is getting tougher.

Nevada requires a documented physical address for the DL and will send mail to a mailing address. My DL was mailed to jbmailroom.

Bob:

Thanks for the Real ID blog article! Clear, concise, and easy to understand and apply. A "must read" for everyone here on CRVL!

Your ongoing, untiring effort on our behalf is profoundly appreciated.

Thanks.

So here's the post:
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/h...al-residence-address-real-id-drivers-license/

And here is a screen shot of the Nevada DMV page of their requirements to prove your residence address

DL-Nevad-requirements-001.jpg
:

I must be missing something,

If you need a Voter Registration to get a DL, don't you need something to register to vote?
Thanks, Steph

akrvbob said:
Look at the highlighted text above, you can take in a rent receipt from an RV Park.
Bob

Yes, those are two of the pieces of info needed to get a NV DL, but per the website "Welcome to the Nevada Secretary of State's online voter registrationapplication. This system can be used to register to vote or update existingNevada voter registration information with a current and valid Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles."
So if I don't have a NV DL how can I register to vote?
I have the physical address,  I'm trying to figure out the second piece of info.  
Thanks again for all your help - Steph

Steph said:
Yes, those are two of the pieces of info needed to get a NV DL, but per the website "Welcome to the Nevada Secretary of State's online voter registrationapplication. This system can be used to register to vote or update existingNevada voter registration information with a current and valid Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles."
So if I don't have a NV DL how can I register to vote?
I have the physical address,  I'm trying to figure out the second piece of info.  
Thanks again for all your help - Steph

Maybe you need to give them the driver's license number to do this online, but it may not be strictly necessary if you are registering in person?

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Maybe you need to give them the driver's license number to do this online, but it may not be strictly necessary if you are registering in person?

its a catch 22 or chicken and egg.

OK, if anyone else is interested.
I got on the site and the printable form info says if you do not have a NV DL or NV ID you can use the last 4 digits of your SS#.
Thanks - Steph

I did try and view this the other day before posting but the website was down.