Be a school bus driver get a job any where

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capt_caveman

Reaction score
0517181129a.jpgYep im a school bus driver for over 16 yr. every town I have been in needs drivers in there district .
 There was one town Gallop New Mexico that was 12 drivers short thats a lot thats 12 full time postions. 
  Go where the work is there I made 12 hr. in New Mexico here in Washington state I make 19 hr. Most schools do payed training ,Snow days schools out you stay home and still get payed the same check you just make the day up at the end of the yr. with the kids .
Any questions please ask .
Live free every one .....

Attachments

• 0517181129a.jpg
    0517181129a.jpg
    80.2 KB
Agree completely. One big benefit is full time usually means health insurance. A lot of drivers drive 2 to 3 hours in the early morning and 2 to 3 hours in the late afternoon and qualify for full time benefits, so if your self employed it is an easy way to qualify and get health and retirement benefits. It is not an easy job and has none of the common sense rules of over the road trucking, like number of hours driving limitations, so you need to be healthy and able to stay calm in intense situations even when you are driving. It can take a while to get a background check and trained for a CDL but most school systems will pay the cost if you pass. Most good school bus drivers really care about kids and the people they work with so you can get to know some really nice people. The state retirement system my school system was in allowed me to buy my military service time which allowed me to retire at 53 years old! There is lots of stress and long hours if you do trips but over all a lot of fun and an easy cheap way to get a class B CDL with passenger endorsement that can be used for other jobs. School bus driver on and off for 30 years!

No doubt about that. EVERY school I know of has a banner out trying to hire drivers. I have a niece that drives a bus. Me? I think I would prefer driving a trash truck. Which I have done as a part time job when I was in the military.
My niece can get a job anywhere driving a loud house down the road. lol

Its a job you love or you hate !

I love what I do so much I made a schoolie to travel in Meet (THE TIN MAN)!!!

0421181352.jpg
35521485_1745884448862598_3294246654835687424_n.jpg

Attachments

• 35521485_1745884448862598_3294246654835687424_n.jpg
    35521485_1745884448862598_3294246654835687424_n.jpg
    83.3 KB
  • 0421181352.jpg
    0421181352.jpg
    140.7 KB
Dennis said:
No doubt about that. EVERY school I know of has a banner out trying to hire drivers.

I just saw one this morning in Coos Bay OR

An aside---in my travels I usually take the local bus systems to get around town, and chat with the drivers. There seems to be a shortage of city bus drivers, and many of the drivers I've talked with have mentioned that they can generally go to any city they want to and get a job with the local transportation authority.

All so its good for retired folk we have a lot of over 65 drivers that can only do so many hours a month and the schools like that they welcome it because like for me I can make up any drivers route and make more time and money we cover each other .
If you only want to work in the morning thats cool they work it in to another drivers route .
The deal is there all ways short they bend over back words to keep there drivers .

To tell you the truth I see the office work so hard I let them now im available to cover what they need sorta takes the presser off them
We bus drivers have a saying ( EVERY DAYS A NEW ADVENTURE) boy thats the truth its not a boring job .

lenny flank said:
An aside---in my travels I usually take the local bus systems to get around town, and chat with the drivers. There seems to be a shortage of city bus drivers, and many of the drivers I've talked with have mentioned that they can generally go to any city they want to and get a job with the local transportation authority.

Yeah every time I take the city bus and we start talking and they find out im a bus driver there handing me an application

capttzuzu said:
Its a job you love or you hate !

I agree. I'm one of the ones that hates that job. There's a reason why there are so many openings for school bus drivers.

I work in a beach town which has local bus service. In the summer season they add a tram service catering to the tourists. They're always looking for additional drivers for the summer.

Am thinking of part time random available work as a retired person. What is the most stressful aspect of it all? What difficulties have people got into with kids and companies and schools ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping other people's kids safe and once you get to know your students helping them deal with there problems as it will affect you and the way you do your job. 5 year old students have to be recieved by a parent or someone they have desiginated. Trying to drop off a kid while both parents are being arrested, then convincing a cop to allow one of the family to recieve a student as you have a bus load of kids still to go home is stressful. The next day explaining to the little fellow the bus doesn't go "up the river" where his parents are. Getting yelled at by a parent because you asked her little girl to sit up in the front of the bus because she was getting harassed by a group of students at the rear of the bus you are having trouble keeping in line when just a few years back you would have been yelled at for making her sit at the back of the bus. Every day stuff for a school bus driver. I liked driving the alternative school bus best because I could relate to the kids better and often they knew I was one of the few people that really cared about them and their safety. Once helped a cop keep from getting mobbed at a bus stop, makes you feel good but yes there is stress.

Many bus and truck drivers are getting shut down because of the DOT physical rules. If your BP is 140 or above, you can't drive until it's corrected. If you take a BP medicine, a DOT physical is required every year. Sleep apnea is now being watched closely. There's more physical issues that I dd not mention.

The liability with the students. If they get in a fight, you can't break it up. You have to wait and watch a kid get brutalized while the cops come to take care of it. It isn't always that extreme, but it can be and is heading more towards that scenario in more places. I would step in then let myself get fired, but that's me. Then being a dude there is a risk of false physical or sexual abuse allegations. I've been on the receiving end of that more than once. Every time I've been presumed guilty until proven guilty, but never have been guilty. Was arrested and went to court for it once. It was dismissed, but I still suffered some serious fallout from the accusation not only legally but in community perception. I found out who my friends really were then. If you are a dude and anger the wrong savvy girl or savvy mother, then life is going to suck. Then people start thinking stuff about you then it snowballs. Other nasty girls and women will jump on that train. Men, in traitor to their own gender, often support those nasty women. Being a pervert should be a bad thing, but only if you really are one.

That can happen in any public job. As a camp host this year, I had to call law enforcement and one lady accused me of being a perv to deflect her problems with the cop. I wouldn't be surprised if she wrote about me online about that. Another camper a few weeks later told me that the group that got banned wrote some bad things about me in an online review, but I can't find it. Maybe it was taken down? Anyway, off topic.

Then as a commercial driver, you have 100% responsibility with near 0% authority. If you are sent out with an illegal bus and you get in a wreck, you may be at fault. Even though you have no way of fixing it, maybe couldn't have reasonably know about the mechanical problem, you are nonetheless responsible for that bus, the people on it, and the people and property around you. It's a big responsibility. Driving a bus is operating lethal force and should be taken as such every time a driver gets in that bus.

Riverman said:
Many bus and truck drivers are getting shut down because of the DOT physical rules. If your BP is 140 or above, you can't drive until it's corrected.  If you take a BP medicine, a DOT physical is required every year.  Sleep apnea is now being watched closely. There's more physical issues that I dd not mention.

he is right there really pushing the old driver out im very close to going to one year physicals

The physicals in the past used to be much more difficult. Had to do jumping jacks and I think touch your toes among other things. That was before my time. It's so much easier than it used to be, but it's getting harder now. They want healthy people driving those rigs. Getting old sucks, but we don't function like we used to. We are slowly disintegrating and those of us that have had too much youth flake off, literally and figuratively, should not be operating lethal force on the road especially with our kids.

Damn horror story. Thinking twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you need a job with retirement and health benefits it is hard to beat. Most have second jobs with a flexable schedule. Preachers, small business owners, farmers and night shift workers as well as people looking for a cheap CDL are usually the people that apply. You cann't get blood from a turnip and most bus drivers don't have enough money to get sued by students that don't have money for law suits. Try it part time, Maybe do sports trips or sub before making a decision, after all you basically get free CDL training. You may find your life needs some stress and like it!