Bare Essentials for Car Dwelling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myway_1

Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether I need to buy a hitch and cargo tray or tiny utility trailer for a Prius in order to hold the things I need for full-timing.

I'd rather not and keep everything inside the car.

I will mostly be boondocking in National Forests in the southeast. I will move with the seasons to keep within a low of 30 degrees and a high of 85 degrees.

Here is what I have come up with. Comments and additions are welcome.

This would be for one week of boondocking.

Water: 5 gallon container (3 for drinking, 2 for personal hygiene and cleaning)

Food: 8 oz cans: 7 of beans, 14 of meat, 14 of vegetables, 14 of fruit, a box of cereal and a large package or can of nuts and any fresh fruits or vegetables that can keep for several days without refrigeration.

Sleep: 75" x 30" x 3" foam pad with cover, sheets, blanket.

Bodily waste: 32 oz bottle, 2 5-gallon buckets, kitchen garbage bags

Clothes: 3 full sets of the following: underwear, socks, t-shirts, shorts, long pants, long sleeved shirts, plus a coat, thermal underwear, thermal socks, shoes, gloves and a hat.

Personal Hygiene: small pail with toiletries.

Shelter: The car won't be enough. I need a protected space to move around in when it's rainy or when the bugs are bad. I'm thinking a tarp with bug net and two extendible poles or a dome tent with stand-up height.

Entertainment: tablet and USB battery packs and USB solar charger.

Misc: folding camp chair, possibly a small cooler and a single burner stove with canister.

Once again suggestions, additions and criticisms are most welcome. I'm putting on my thick skin except please don't try to discourage me completely from the idea of car-dwelling.

Joe

Joe, I car dwelled in Florida national forests for two winters Traveled I 10, New Orleans, to New Mexico, then up 1 75, It was awesome, I like car and now truck dwelling because it really cuts down what u can bring, I like seeing how minimal I can go. The list looks good to me. I will give it more thought have to let the dog out of vehicle sun came out. None of us should have to put on a thick skin, but I quess we do, sad. Thanks for tarp info over car!

Here is a bit of feedback. Keep in mind that some of this stuff is just a matter of preference. I'd strongly suggest you take some test runs before you have a lot invested to see what works best for you.

These are mostly additions, a few changes --

Water: Consider 5 1-gallon containers instead of 1 5-gallon container for easier storage. Also, I allot for 1 gallon of water per day. 20 oz water bottles.

Food: Consider the pouches of meat/fish instead of canned. Also, consider fresh or dried veggies/fruit instead of canned. I will, however, use those small single serving containers of fruit, salsa, olives because I can't eat a whole can before it goes bad. Instant milk. If kept in a coolish location, eggs will last several days without refrigeration. Bring a little extra in case you get stuck and can't get into town due to weather.

Sleep: A pillow?

Bodily waste: Consider just 1 2-gallon bucket to save space. Luggable Loo lid.

Clothes: Consider taking enough clothes to last you the longest amount of time between visits into town to do laundry. For me, that's 10 days. Also, have a hat for sun and a hat for warmth. A stocking hat during sleep helps keep you warmer.

Kitchen: Utensils for eating, drinking, and a pot for cooking/heating. I use paper towels and spray bottles (water, vinegar) for clean up.

Hygiene: Consider using spray bottles between showers, washcloths. Toothbrush, toothpaste. Towels.

Laundry: Detergent (pods), bleach (tablets or powdered)

Misc: Lighter/matches, basic tools, first aid kit, hatchet, air compressor, flash light, ropes, bungee cords, zip ties, duct tape, knives, bear spray, small table, clips (like strong clothes pins), small shovel

Entertainment: Also consider hotspot, smart phone, battery packs.

Also, I'm curious, where do you go in the southeast where the high is only 85 degrees? It was hotter than that when I've been in The Great Smokey Mountains. But, I'm mostly unfamiliar with that region.

Additions:

Small pillow
Luggable Loo lid
Headgear for cold weather.
Plate
Cup
Spray bottle
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Wash cloths
Bath towel
Misc: Lighter/matches, basic tools, first aid kit, hatchet, air compressor, flash light, ropes, bungee cords, zip ties, duct tape, knives, bear spray, small table, clips (like strong clothes pins), small shovel
smart phone, hot spot
possibly folding table

Possible changes: 5 one gallon water containers (instead of one 5-gallon), plus two more and extra food in case I can't get to town,
2 gallon bucket as bathroom (instead of 2 5-gallon). I will be using the bathroom mostly outside the vehicle so I may need to elevate it somehow. Also would need a way to store waste.

I would prefer not to eat so much canned food but that would require a pot and pan, a burner and canister and possibly a cooler. Takes of lots of space.

Suanne said:
Also, I'm curious, where do you go in the southeast where the high is only 85 degrees?   It was hotter than that when I've been in The Great Smokey Mountains.  But, I'm mostly unfamiliar with that region.

Northwestern NC and southwestern VA at elevation of at least 3,000 feet. In a freak heatwave you might have to go to 4,000 feet.

Given that storage space is going to be in short supply, consider a folding toilet as an alternative to a bucket. Here's what I've got in my camping setup.

attachment.php

Walmart carries something similar for around $30.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Folding-Portable-Toilet/23760414
k2-_582c6d9a-2dec-4ad1-a650-d7eef6c77cc2.v1.jpg-bb04b1bd35858721d5253ea34c63f668e7e7fec9-optim-450x450.jpg

They also carry some 2.5 gallon water containers that fit well between the front and rear seats of my Kia Soul. I have two of them. There's also a 1.25 gallon version. I have four of these and they take up almost exactly the same amount of space as two of the 2.5 gallon bottles. This allows me to carry 10 gallons of water while making efficient use of my available storage space.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arrow-H2O-2.5-Gal-Slimline-Beverage-Dispenser-Blue/15915151

For showering I use a 1 gallon garden sprayer from Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-Gal-Economy-Sprayer-1501HDX/203809533
80759838-e697-4b9e-a96a-2f6b2c66c5c3_400.jpg

I hope this at least gives you a few ideas. There are plenty of other options available if you decide that a different approach works better for you.

Yogidog said:
Joe, I car dwelled in Florida national forests for two winters Traveled I 10, New Orleans, to New Mexico, then up 1 75, It was awesome, I like car and now truck dwelling because it really cuts down what u can bring, I like seeing how minimal I can go...

I'll be going between south Florida and SW Virginia with intermediate steps in between. I've been trying to minimalize for the past few months but this will take it to a whole other level.

Suanne said:
Here is a bit of feedback. Keep in mind that some of this stuff is just a matter of preference. I'd strongly suggest you take some test runs before you have a lot invested to see what works best for you...

Thanks! Great suggestions.

sephson said:
Given that storage space is going to be in short supply, consider a folding toilet as an alternative to a bucket. They also carry some 2.5 gallon water containers that fit well between the front and rear seats of my Kia Soul. I have two of them. There's also a 1.25 gallon version. For showering I use a 1 gallon garden sprayer from Home Depot.

Thanks. I'll give these serious consideration.

Joe,

Suanne has done a great job with augmenting your list.

I will focus on my opinions. Note that all answers can be debated but they are my experiences.

Water: I too believe in planning one gallon per day for water.

To augment my water supply with a large (80 count) unscented baby wipes. I use these for many purposes that water could be used.

With the plan for 1 week I carry my 6 gallon commercial water tank on the back floor of my Prius and bring extra water if needed in gallon containers on the front passenger floor. I wash with 1 quart, including washing my hair.

Food: The subject of food is a very personal topic. I carry a few individual sized canned vegetables and some fresh vegetables in my Engel compress fridge. I use fresh until gone and switch to canned.

Fruit: I bring 5 bananas and an orange for every day and 4 apples. I also bring dried fruit, usually 2 bags
No canned fruit.

I bring fresh meat in my Engel fridge. Usually chicken, beef, and fish. There is usually enough for two servings. I bring 6 eggs.

I also bring canned turkey, chicken and tuna (one of each)

I have a small bag of shredded cheese. 1 small container of almond milk in the fridge and one out, not open.. I may have a package of hotdogs and two personal size cans of Bushs beans.

I also have a small jar of jelly and peanut butter. For bread I have a zip bag of soft flower tortillas.

I have some crackers or like. Cereal (hot and cold) all converted to zip loc bags.

Same with fresh food. In Walmart parking lot up park next to rubbish can and decarton all packaging and put in ziploc bags so as I use things the space it consumes shrinks.

I would not be without my compressor fridge considering I have all the power I need with the Prius as a generator.

Bed: 74" by I believe 26" (60% side of rear of Prius) I have a 2 " pad and foam pillow

I use a sleeping bag with a flannel liner or a lightweight cotton liner (bring both) I also have a a fleece sleeping bag shell for warmer weather

From time to time I need more than 32 oz bottle so j bring two

I have a small 2 gal pain with pipe insulation in rim. I have bags and zip loc bags if storing before disposing - disbursed camping I will use cat holes if possible.

Clothing: no jeans - 2 lightweight hiking pants & 2 same material shorts. Can hand wash and dry quickly. 5 Poly tee shirts and outer clothing as needed

Personal Hygiene: I have a small cloth tool bag for my toiletries and a hospital plastic basin.

64oz 24 hour thermos for keeping hot water to make tea, hot cereal, wash etc.

Shelter: I have reduced the size of everything I can through design to the point that I do not need any exterior space. I do have 3 lightweight backpacking tarps to put up as needed. I have an exterior PAC frame that extends the Prius hatch to set up as needed for privacy or shade.

I have a USB fan for comfort and I sit and shave and wash behind the drivers seat 40% side and sleep on 60% side). Rear seats are removed and articulating plywood hinged pieces provide access to space below and shelf - have a back drivers seat folding table. My table for cooking is a lightweight designed table that is held in place using the car door and door frame.

I teach college courses in the road and bring laptop, iPad and I phone with tethering. College books. Wifi amplifier for laptop and my list goes on.

I have a backpacking chair, single burner butane stove, camp cook set and utensils and seasoning, and all that you need to cook. I have s 12 volt water heater too.

For me the challenge was not to extend beyond the skin of the Prius and give me all the things I had in my class b other than standing up.

I modified my Prius to include s house battery to run my fridge at night and 400 watt PSW inverter and multi chemistry charger to charge house batteries during the day.

After all this I can take a passenger.

Of course I can't remember everything right now but hiking boots and rain suit are among the many other things

Best wishes on your design.

Brent

You've gotten some pretty good advice here.

For sleeping, I would definitely bring a rectangular sleeping bag as well as the blanket and sheet you mentioned.  In warm weather, you can sleep on top of the bag, under the blanket, and it will add extra padding.  And if for some reason you get a sudden, unexpected cold snap, you will be glad you have the sleeping bag.

I would look into backpacker type water purification set ups.  Some are pumps that force the water through the filter, and I hear tell that can sometimes take some doing.  Some have a gallon bag that you hang from a tree and gravity feed the water through the filter albeit slowly.  The lazy mans water filter, which suits me perfectly.

revised list of essentials for one week:

drinking: 5 gallons water

eating: cereal, 7 small cans beans, 7 small cans meat, 7 small cans vegetables, plus fresh vegetables, 7 small cans fruit plus fresh fruit, can of nuts, loaf of bread, crackers, peanut butter, jelly, utensils

sleep:        foam pad with cover, sheets, blanket, pillow, comforter or sleeping bag

personal hygiene: 1 gallon water, toiletries, pail, towel, wet wipes

cleaning: 1 gallon water, spray bottle, paper towels

personal waste: 2-gallon bucket, luggable loo lid, small garbage bags, ziplock bags, toilet paper

entertainment: tablet, smart phone, 3 lithium USB battery packs, 20 watt foldable solar with USB connector

clothes: 3 full sets of basics, coat, all purpose shoes, sun hat, winter hat, thermal underwear, thermal socks, gloves

shelter: 20' tarp and bug netting or SUV tent

misc:  lighter, mini-shovel, first aid kit, air compressor, flashlight, folding chair, folding table, USB fan

For carrying water, one of my favorite human beings carries MSR Dromedary bags for water. They are a fabric bladder that is extremely durable and of course as they empty out they go flat. Because they use a standard Nalgene lid you can also screw a water filter right to them and also a shower. They are black so they also serve a a solar hot water heater..

They are very expensive, but they will never fail and will last you the rest of your life. That makes them cheap.
Bob

akrvbob said:
For carrying water, one of my favorite human beings carries MSR Dromedary bags for water. They are a fabric bladder that is extremely durable and of course as they empty out they go flat. Because they use a standard Nalgene lid you can also screw a water filter right to them and also a shower. They are black so they also serve a a solar hot water heater..

They are very expensive, but they will never fail and will last you the rest of your life. That makes them cheap.
Bob

I like these will somewhat mold to the shape of the space where they are kept. Thanks!

Optimistic Paranoid said:
You've gotten some pretty good advice here.

For sleeping, I would definitely bring a rectangular sleeping bag as well as the blanket and sheet you mentioned.  In warm weather, you can sleep on top of the bag, under the blanket, and it will add extra padding.  And if for some reason you get a sudden, unexpected cold snap, you will be glad you have the sleeping bag.

I would look into backpacker type water purification set ups.  Some are pumps that force the water through the filter, and I hear tell that can sometimes take some doing.  Some have a gallon bag that you hang from a tree and gravity feed the water through the filter albeit slowly.  The lazy mans water filter, which suits me perfectly.

You're right. I will need more than just a blanket. A water filter might enable me to carry less water. Thanks!

I second the water filter. I almost always try to camp around water whenever possible and using a portable filter makes getting extra water and not having to go into town much easier. I use an MSR filter that connects to the top of my nalgene bottles. Takes about 3 minutes or so to pump a liter of safe drinking water. Not the fastest thing in the world, but then again, when traveling I have no shortage of time.

I did a 7 day backpacking trip in Yosemite and the three people I was with had a miserable time because they all tried carrying a weeks worth of water with them! I carried two liters and refilled as needed with my water filter.

myway_1 said:
I like these will somewhat mold to the shape of the space where they are kept...

Not just that, but when water bladders are empty they take up almost no space.  I wait to fill mine up just before I head out into the back country.

Cheap (and sometimes free) water bladders can be found in an empty Box-Of-Wine. I'll leave it to you how to find/make an empty one.

Ken in Anaheim said:
Cheap (and sometimes free) water bladders can be found in an empty Box-Of-Wine. I'll leave it to you how to find/make an empty one.

Wow, what a great idea.  Now I can see buying one MSR, but after that...  Woohoo, drinking my way to water!  This has been a fantastic read.