Two people on $15 a day

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there has never been a case of protein deficiency unless you happen to be starving starving

Flying kurbmaster: "there has never been a case of protein deficiency unless you happen to be starving starving"

I suspect that is more than a bit of an overstatement. You're a vegetarian, right?

A complete protein is one that contains an adequate amount of all nine of the essential amino acids that are necessary for the dietary needs of human beings.

The World Health Organization (WHO) defines malnutrition as "the cellular imbalance between the supply of nutrients and energy and the body's demand for them to ensure growth, maintenance, and specific functions."

Our bodies don't store excess amino acids, which is why you need them in your food every day. If they aren't in your daily food intake, your body will break down muscle tissue to access the amino acids it contains so it can use them elsewhere. Muscle wasting is the first symptom of an essential amino acid defiicency. Next can be decreased immune response, weakness, fatigue and changes to the texture of your skin and hair, as well as affecting your mental health (showing up as anxiety and increased stress levels).

Some people make statements like this because all they seem to recognize are extremes. The lack of essential amino acids may not KILL you, but but it can affect your health and your life. Is that harmful enough to suit you? I'm quite sure that there's a considerable gap between good health and death.

Overstatement? Extremes? Woa baby, I didn't really understand what you said above, it went over my head except for the personnal attacks, that hurt my feeling, I see you dropped WHO in there for effect, all I said was " that there has never been a case of protein deficiency unless you are starving". This idea that you need to be watchful or concerned with your protein intake, in my understanding, was manufactured by parties that had something to gain. It likely came from the same advertising people that dreamt up smoking was healthy because it increased blood flow and gave you energy. You can hate me because I am an advocate for a plant based diet but that is not as extreme as you may think in 2016. The world is evolving, the science is out there.

flying kurbmaster said:
Overstatement? Extremes? Woa baby, I didn't really understand what you said above, it went over my head except for the personnal attacks, that hurt my feeling, I see you dropped WHO in there for effect,   all I said was " that there has never been a case of protein deficiency unless you are starving".  This idea that you need to be watchful or concerned with your protein intake, in my understanding,  was manufactured by parties that had something to gain. It likely came from the same advertising people  that dreamt up  smoking was healthy because it increased blood flow and gave you energy. You can hate me because I am an advocate for a plant based diet but that is not as extreme as you may think in 2016. The world is evolving, the science is out there.

I gotta agree about protein intake being necessary.   40 grams per day is considered minimal.
A great book to read up on this is by Dr Gary Null and is called The Ultimate Anti-aging Program.
Also discussed is how to get benefits from juicing.  Being vegetarian does not mean giving up essential life nutrients.  I have been both vegetarian and meat eater.  I found the vegetarian lifestyle much more healthy. One thing agreed to by both sides is the avoidance of sugar.
Lots of great info in that book.

Matt71 said:
My wife and I start our 80 day road trip in just 3 weeks, and I'm hoping for some food advice.
Here's our current plan

We have two  24" x 19" x 12" storage containers dedicated to food and cooking accessories, and a 5 gallon cooler for ice water.
We also have a variety of food coolers, but have not determined what size we need to bring yet.
[img=250x250]http://www.wolverinesports.com/medi...33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/e/te046p.jpg[/img]
We currently have one of the bins loaded with condiment packets, peanut butter, 30 cans of soup, 10 cans of tuna, 10 cans of chicken, 4 cans of salmon, 10 packs of precooked rice, 6 packs of instant potatoes, and a cylinder of stovetop stuffing. Once we get closer we'll also add flatbread for sandwiches, fruit, fresh vegetables, and perishables like lunch meat, hotdogs, etc. for the cooler.

For cooking, we have 1 single butane burner, a 2 element electric burner, and a Roadpro 12v stove.

We plan to shop once a week, and have $10 a day budgeted for groceries and about $35 a week for eating out.
We also plan to take advantage of continental breakfast whenever we can. And Costco rotisserie chicken for $5. I seriously hope every Costco has that deal and not just the ones in Michigan.

We plan to stick strictly to water for drinking, and figure we can keep the cooler full of cold water by topping it off with ice to it every couple days. If we keep it in the trunk of the car how long can we expect ice water to stay cold in the cooler when the temp is in the 80s and 90s? Also, this may be a stupid question, but is bagged ice more expensive in the desert?

I'm really thinking I'm not budgeting enough for for food, but I spend $450 to $600 a month for groceries for 3 people at home normally, so $15 a day for 2 people should work out right?

Any cheap healthy recipes that don't involve beans would be greatly appreciated.

,Matt

Matt....Beans are one of the best sources for protein.  With that said, canned Jack Mackerel is also great and--CHEAP.  Around here it is about $1.65 to$1.85 for a 15 ounce can.   Canned tuna and salmon are also good sources.  This canned fish, mixed with noodles, makes a good tasting casserole.  Good luck

I link this so often, I really should have it bookmarked.

http://www.leannebrown.com/
She wrote a cookbook based on what you could eat for $4 a day (food stamp budget when she wrote the 1st edition).
Personally I find it's more like $5 or $6 per day, depending on where you live.
I really *really* like this cookbook. We use recipes from it at least a few times a week.
If you go to the website, you can download the ebook/pdf version of the first edition for FREE(donation optional).
Totally worthy of hard drive space, or shelf space if you buy the hard copy.

We have been finding that pork tenderloin is quite cheap compared to even ground beef.

A marinated pork tenderloin in a package is about $7 for two pounds and makes two meals for two people (served with wild rice or baked potato).   We slice it about 3/4" thick and pan fry it in butter.  We probably eat too much, a normal size person could probably get 5 or 6 meals.  I am 6'7" 225 pounds.

a tender loin or even a pork roast makes for excellent chili verde with pork. yum, a few tortillas, a little rice and beans, dang I am getting hungry. highdesertranger

flying kurbmaster said:
Overstatement?

> Yes.  You over stated your position.

Extremes?

> Yes.  People do tend to work in superlatives and extremes.  Good debating avoids such rhetoric.

Woa baby,

> The word is spelled 'whoa'.  Calling someone 'baby' is pretty offensive, don't you think sweetheart? /do ya' see what I did there?

I didn't really understand what you said above, it went over my head

> Then perhaps you should do some research and reading.  It's really not that complicated.  Actually, here let me google that for you.  https://www.google.com/webhp?source...08&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=protien deficiency

except for the personnal attacks,

> I've read and re-read the comments and don't see any personal attacks except for the rude 'baby' comment that you made.

that hurt my feeling,

> :,(

I see you dropped WHO in there for effect,  

> Looks like WHO was included as citation not effect.  I might not agree with 100% of what WHO does but their science is pretty spot on.  

all I said was " that there has never been a case of protein deficiency unless you are starving".  

> By this logic there has never been a case of scurvy or other undernourishment or malnourishment disorders unless someone is starving, which is patently false.

This idea that you need to be watchful or concerned with your protein intake, in my understanding,  was manufactured by parties that had something to gain.

> You have already stated that you don't understand the subject and yet you push forward with your 'understanding'.  As for those with something to gain, do you mean the children that suffer due to undernourishment or do you mean the National Egg and or Dairy Councils?  I agree with you to a point but again, you are speaking in absolutes "never' and 'always'.  I agree that the Dairy Council etc has profit in mind but WHO does not.  Even the folks that run http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein-primer/ seem to disagree with you.  Now, they may have some profit motive as well but this is a great resource for information on plant based protein.

It likely came from the same advertising people  that dreamt up  smoking was healthy because it increased blood flow and gave you energy.

> Probably not the same people but certainly the same profit driven motives.  So, I'll grant you that SOME agencies and organizations have this wrong and have wrong motives but it doesn't discount the fact that protein deficiencies are very real and can occur in people that are otherwise getting an over abundance in calories even.  You can in fact be morbidly obese and have nutritional deficiencies. 

You can hate me because I am an advocate for a plant based diet but that is not as extreme as you may think in 2016.

> I don't think anyone hates you.  I think that people will respond poorly to your rhetoric.  There are clearly 100's of millions if not a billion or more people that do very well on plant based diets.  And no one here has stated that a plant based diet is unhealthy merely that protein is important along with a long list of macro and micro nutrients.

The world is evolving, the science is out there.

> Since you have already stated that you don't understand the science and have shown some disdain toward the people that are doing a great deal of that science I don't think that you have a leg to stand on here with this statement.  

Truth in advertising statement - I am a committed omnivore.  I eat grains, legumes, veggies, fruits, eggs, meat, dairy and fish.  I LOVE tofu but not soy milk.  I eat bush meat and game as well as wild collected greens and mushrooms.  I'm no fan of the major food manufacturers and distributers and have big problems with factory feed lots for meat production.  I buy my eggs from the lady down the street.  I buy my veggies in season from the farm stand down the road, the field where they grow most of the produce is within plane sight of the stand and I can see the family in the field every morning picking the days sale items.  I buy my meat from a husband and wife that print their name, address and phone number on every package of meat they sell.  I buy my grains etc from a local co-op grocery store.  My point is that you can be environmentally and nutritionally responsible without telling others how to live their lives or being ugly about it.

TL/DR: Protein deficiencies are real and plant based diets can provide all of those nutrients.  It is easier with meat and fish and eggs (and BUGS).

highdesertranger said:
a tender loin or even a pork roast makes for excellent chili verde with pork.  yum, a few tortillas,  a little rice and beans,  dang I am getting hungry.  highdesertranger

Pork is my favorite meat.  I like to slice it into thin slivers, and stir fry it with vegetables and Chinese flavors (garlic, chili, soy sauce, rice wine, etc.)

Quick and tasty!

Matt71 said:
We plan to stick strictly to water for drinking, and figure we can keep the cooler full of cold water by topping it off with ice to it every couple days. If we keep it in the trunk of the car how long can we expect ice water to stay cold in the cooler when the temp is in the 80s and 90s? Also, this may be a stupid question, but is bagged ice more expensive in the desert?

Bagged is generally more expensive in rural locations, cheaper in cities.  In the Phoenix area, it's available everywhere, but cheapest at McDonalds, and next cheapest at grocery stores.  

I love your idea of keeping a cooler just for ice water.  That's one of my essentials, too, and I've been wondering how to make sure that I always have it available.  In the past, I've never found a jug that didn't leak.  Any suggestions?  Also, where in your rig are you going to keep it, or will you just pull it out when you want it? Now, I'm thinking that I need to plan for it in my camper van design.  Thanks!

ZZZ
this guy that you wanted me to google has not shown any science only his opinion on personal experience, likely working for the meat producers,  so again I make the statement there has never been a case of protein deficiency unless you are starving. The bigger health hazzard is too much animal protein.

Just a reminder that there is the capability to put a forum user on your own personal "ignore list".

Saw a blip about "Sticking to water for drinking"

Might I humbly suggest a few drop of vanilla extract?