Backed into a corner in Wisconsin

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aMUSEd

Reaction score
Greetings.
I want to being by thanking BOB for making me believe that there really are kind and authentic ppl in the world. He so often speaks my truth. AND a HUGE thank you to all the folks on this forum. This is how humans are supposed to behave & treat each other.
I'm so amazed to hear about a possible MENTORSHIP Program being started, it sounds more like something similar to ANGIES LIST. 
So, here I am. In my 40's, on disability and my only child is off to college in the fall. Being a single parent, I devoted my life to the care and wellness of my son. He is the reason I continue to draw air. It has paid off. Hes been accepted into UM Twin Cities liberal arts college. He wants a Phd in Psychology so that he may help improve and motivate employers and employees be motivated and fruitful.  He started school lableled a problem child and a lost cause... In june, he will graduate in the top 10% off his class. He is president the FBLA Club, VP of the National Honor Society, officer of the spanish club and the Key (Kiwanis) club. I am so honored that our souls travel this lifetime together.
Anyhow, I raised him on aprox $1200/mo. March 1, that income will be reduced by $250 & june 1, II will lose another $280. Tears come to my eyes just typing that. 
I have a section 8 housing voucher that reduces my rent to 30% of my income. And its nationally portable. But 30% of $600 is still WAY too much. 
I used to (still do) have some serious wanderlust. I gave up many of the things that brought me joy, settled down, and carried out the promise we all make when we become parents. As a result, I'm a fat chick and am on many, very much needed medications because I have some health problems. Ive talked to a couple of my docs to see how I would continue to get my meds if I'm not a wisc resident. Im mostly concerned about the those that have special protocols. 
So vary soon, I lose my son, and my money. And ive never been so scared. Ive considered a couple not so above board ways to improve my financial situation, but im too pretty for prision.
I drive a 95 mazda 626 sedan. 5spd, 4 cyl. 140k miles. I have less than 20$ in the bank. I used to work 
As a welder and still love to work with metals. Today, I do jewelry and work w wood. Ive got a corkscrew willow tree nearby angst make canes, walking sticks and spirit sticks or talking sticks for group communication.
I'm sorry, when I start thinking about life, my mind gets discombobulated. 
Somehow I have to liquidate everything I own, make a vehicle roadworthy, get my son thru his senior year (hes taking 3 AP classes) and sent to Minnesota. Im worried because I can not afford a dry run to see if BoonDocking fills the hole in my soul. 
Sorry, I can't think anymore. I have to stop here and post this or I will chicken out.
LOVE PEACE AND VEGETABLE RIGHTS
I look forward to hearing from all of you!
AmuseD

Welcome AmuseD to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome Amused, what I like about this and you will find is that it seems to be more like our old communities used to be. A sharing of knowledge and a lot less drama than most of us are used too, lol. I have a disanility as well and as long as you keep sight of your long term needs and plan for them you should do just fine, Good Luck, B

You and your son are amazing! Congratulations to both of you for all your accomplishments. I have just returned from my first RTR. IMHO, based on the things you have said in your introduction, you have made a wise choice to explore the CRVL lifestyle. I encourage you to follow your heart and dreams as strongly you have done thus far. The next few years are going to be amazing for the both of you, and I know there are many campfires in the van dwellers communities where you will be welcomed most warmly. TurtleLady

There is some flexibility in how a section 8 can be used. Your local staff may be helpful in brainstorming solutions. Keeping it active is probably a good idea. Get out into the woods this spring, if you can.

With only $600 income, you should be eligible for other help besides S8. Utilities, food stamps,etc.

As DL suggests, try before you fly. A major vehicle breakdown could leave you in bad shape...

There are also income deductions on the section 8 which will be more relevant.  I believe you will get the full food stamp amount, which does vary by state, but should be a bit less than $200.

DLTooley said:
There are also income deductions on the section 8 which will be more relevant.  I believe you will get the full food stamp amount, which does vary by state, but should be a bit less than $200.

Hi DLTooley,
I thank you for your input. As far as WI food stamps goes, folks on disability w/o under 18 dependent
Children reap $15/mo. I'm not sure if that is a national policy or what, but because my son has turned 18, & he does not work the 20 -30 hrs/wk, cuz he is still in hs, we get $15/mo. 
Regarding the section 8 housing voucher, I believe I have 60 or 90 days to rent another apt. First mo rent and securitydeposit make that impossible. 
From the bottom of my heart, I thank each and every one of you for being a part of this community. I still watch WITHOUT BOUNDS every few months. 
aMUSEd

Thank you to all of you for your advice. I will continue to research all of this.

$15 is pathetic. Not even a few days worth of groceries for one person who eats lightly. Will they allow your S8 to be applied to an RV park space or something similar?

ZoNiE said:
$15 is pathetic. Not even a few days worth of groceries for one person who eats lightly.  Will they allow your S8 to be applied to an RV park space or something similar?

Policies vary by State, a bit.  Section 8 is quite flexible, they can be used to purchase - I'm not sure about buying an RV but I think it might be, so long as it meets the various habitability standards.

aMUSEd said:
Hi aMUSEd,

You might consider coming over the border to Minnesota. The single/disabled can get food stamps here, an actual example: $880 income, $550 rent, $175 food stamps . There are subsidized apartments open also, mostly outside the Metro area, some very nice towns.

Actually I would just recommend that you don't panic. Get your rent reduced right away when your income is cut. You should be eligible for SSI that would at least raise you to $730 a month. 

Also, I have been seriously impressed with the ADRC in Wisconsin. I have a disabled friend in Hayward who has received considerable help staying in his home from them. I'm not sure what office he called, but they were friendly and knowledgeable and found everything that he was eligible for. And his income is not that low, around $2000 a month. I called the Rhinelander ADRC to help me with my son (who lives up near there)'s SSI application and they actually called him, arranged to pick him up and took him in to get the application done. Certainly worth a phone call.

Moderator Note: I had to remove the URL supplied per forum rules. Nomadventurer

Before I got my Social Security I was living on $189 a month, plus foodstamps and a soup kitchen/food bank.  When I first got housing they actually cut me a check, for around $50, from which I was expected to pay utilities.  Most new funding is going into 'project specific' housing, the older Section '8' program has the advantage of being portable, 'non-project specific'.  I think the various financial standards are identical for the heavily subsidized.

Depending on how you get along with your local folks you might ask about buying an RV/Trailer with your Section 8.  I've thought about it, but it isn't what I'm looking at for the moment. I am pretty sure you could definitely rent one in a Park.  It would be a bit of a bureaucratic hassle.

Hey Daisy,
Would you please turn on your private messaging?

keylime said:
Moderator Note: I had to remove the URL supplied per forum rules. Nomadventurer

Hi, I'm a bit confused about how to reply and to whom I'm responding to.
My doc sent a referral to my local aging and disability folks, a nurse come and talked to me, yesterday she calls me back to say that because I don't require nursing home level care, all I qualify for is a Case Manager. I tried that about 5 yrs ago and all we did was  sit in my living room and shoot the shit. She wouldn't do anything for me because I shouldn't become depended on her. 
Oh well.
I only allowed the assessment bcuz my doc talked me into it and I know two diff ppl that have family members that get paid to pretend to do tasks for the person on disability. And this one lady is less disabled than me. They laugh that they split extra money the state sends them.  I realize that what they are doing is fraud. I'm just trying to help make it worth while for my son to do the things I shamefully depend on him for. 
I know that different counties have different rules, one count will let me rent a trailer in a park, and the next county over will not.

Getting away from the government folks that are trying to ‘help’ is important. Always make sure you are running your own life. I consider myself lucky to live in a pretty good place with my section 8 and to have a pretty reliable modest older vehicle outfitted to suit my needs.

I have to watch my budget closely including gas but planning mostly well gets me into the sated public lands of this country.

Yeah stuff happens including medical police and social service harassment but it sure beats being a Medicaid number to shove pills into as you are constitutionally raped

It also isn’t bad getting to know the remaining good people, mobile and fixed.

Latest posts