Back-door kitchen

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorelei072

Reaction score
I need to make some decisions and get my project going, so I came here for some expertise. I have (32) 12”X12” cork boards primarily to insulate the cooler. Should I just encase the cooler or the entire kitchen space for the 5-gallon water bottle, black tote containing fuel cans, and make a countertop on the van floor?

My kitchen ended up at the back of my van because draining my cooler & refilling ice is pretty convenient. It’s also the right amount of space and I can reach over the back of the sofa for a snack or a drink while I’m inside. I’d like to keep this option however I might use the cork panels.

Eventually I plan to remove the middle captain’s chairs, add lithium batteries or a Yeti generator, solar, and a roof vent. But for now this is a cheap, functional operation.

I have a 5-gallon water bottle tap on its way from Amazon. I have to deal with that cabinet under the black tote, move everything closer together, and create space for a 5-gallon water bottle. 

I hope this makes sense. I’m probably over-thinking it (lol). Please let me know what you think, if something doesn’t make sense, or needs clarification.

Edit: Photo did not attach the first time

Attachments

• AD5824AF-7CA7-4092-BB21-16D8D442655F.png
    AD5824AF-7CA7-4092-BB21-16D8D442655F.png
    835.1 KB · Views: 44
are you planning on keeping the cooler forever? if so I would just insulate the cooler.

if you are ever going to go with a true refrigerator I would not insulate the whole kitchen.

highdesertranger

Lorelei072 said:
My kitchen ended up at the back of my van because draining my cooler & refilling ice is pretty convenient. ...I can reach over the back of the sofa for a snack or a drink while I’m inside.  ...But for now this is a cheap, functional operation.
I think you will really appreciate this over time.  If you do replace the cooler down the road, consider one with a side drain.  I've added tubing to mine and run it through a door seal/body seam to continuously drain it.  No more wet hands, soaked food, or dumping cold water on my feet in parking lots.  Enjoy your simple set-up!

The first issue I see is you are having to move a bunch of stuff out and then back inside so you have a support for your stove.
That is a frustrating time waster and you can make your life simpler by adding a fold down work surface to each of your back doors.
Here is a photo of one that has metal on the surface so that it can be used with a butane stove on it.
fold down stove shelf.JPG

Attachments

• fold down stove shelf.JPG
    fold down stove shelf.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 19
Lorelei: Thanks for the genuinely useful and delightfully honest pic! :)
My van kitchen is also very much "ad hoc" (after six months of continuous full-timing).
I strongly feel that one should start that way, and let the space sort itself out over time.

I gather you're still new to your vehicle.
What kind of temperature extremes are you expecting?
Do you have a place to store the extra cork, if you just start with insulating the cooler?

For now, if you have storage, maybe just start with the cooler, and see how that works for you.
It sounds like you'll be staying in the South, so it makes sense that you'll want as much insulation as practical for next summer, but insulating the entire kitchen area sounds like it'll be a major chore. It would tend to limit you from experimenting now.

That's only a suggestion. :)
Please do post pics of the cooler after the cork-ification. :)

Latest posts