Question about kitchen electronics

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTDigger

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Mazda CX-5 that I’m getting ready to move into. I have a storage space with every kitchen appliance I have and will kind of be using it a a cooking area for bulk meals.

I guess I need a pretty decent power inverter to run out of my back 12v supply. And does a rechargeable large battery make sense?

You will need one of the portable power stations as the electrical source, the starter battery in your vehicle cannot run major cooking appliances such as a microwave, air fryer, instapot, Ninja Foodie, etc. You have to make sure the portable power station you purchase has enough power to run those appliances. Of course you will need a way to put a charge into that power station. They do not charge instantly, it take hours of time to recharge them. . Read carefully before you select a power station to buy to be sure its output and required time to recharge is a match for your circumstances. Also check the contract on your storage unit to be sure it does not forbid your intended activity inside it.

This is more of an intro forum and your post is more of an Electronics/Battery topic so the mods might move it but either way
IMG_2433.gif

INTJohn

Welcome to the Van Living Forum GTDigger :)

Some power stations come with folding solar panels. The nice thing about these is their mobility. In the hot summer months you could park in the shade and place this unit close by in the sun light to charge.

This Jackery unit is just an example:

Jackery Solar Generator 300 Plus

SG300Plus_40Wmini-1.png

I use a Jackery 1000 and it does a really good job for 99% of what I use. But not the induction burner, it draws to much all at once and shuts off. If I had gotten the next high power one it would be fine. So as it is, it runs my microwave and my fridge and my fan and some other smaller things ....Just not all at once. I only run one at a time.
I unplug the fridge and then I can run the microwave etc.... We use it in our house for when power goes out. It runs the pellet stove all night so the noisy gas generator can get turned off.

I have a 2021 Mazda CX-5 that I’m getting ready to move into. I have a storage space with every kitchen appliance I have and will kind of be using it a a cooking area for bulk meals.

I guess I need a pretty decent power inverter to run out of my back 12v supply. And does a rechargeable large battery make sense?
Welcome Digger:)

Welcome GTdigger and yes I have moved this thread into the electrical and battery section.

If you would like to, you can introduce yourself (which is optional) in the newcomers section.

We hope you'll check in often and enjoy your time here.

Ok. Everyone is pointing you to a power station but it may or may not be the best thing for you.

You may want to go with a LiFePo4 battery of sufficient amp capacity and connect your own properly sized inverter as well as 12volt capable connectors; all wired & fused properly.
Or
Go the properly sized for your needs power station.
Or
A combination of the 2. This is the way I’ve gone. I have a 100 amp power station; an ecoflow delta 2 power station and I also have a 100 amp LiFePo4 battery that’s independent from the power station.

Do your research and decide what’s best for you.
Watts = Amps x Volts. If you don’t understand this relationship it’s important that you do.

INTJohn

You can either build a power system or get a so-called solar power station. There are advantages to both. Something like a Bluetti or Jackery is basically a self contained system including a battery charge controler and inverter. They are a bit expensive. You can make your own power system for much cheaper. Also with a Bluetti/Jackery if one component goes bad, the whole thing must be replaced. If you built your own system, then you could replace just the component that went bad.

However building your own can be a bit complex.

Probably the biggest mistake that I see people making is that if the get a solar power station, the need to know what their power consumption needs are. Way too often they buy by price and not by requirements, and then they end up having to buy again and again. If they had taken the time to know what their consumption needs were, they could have saved a lot of money.

There is another way. You can buy a large inverter and connect it to your starter battery.

You'll have to keep your engine running while using it, as a larger draw will drain your starter battery fairly quickly if you don't.
You would also need to directly connect it to the battery posts in the engine bay, as the 12v power outlets can't handle much more than 150w.

If you're bulk cooking you'd be using your car engine as the generator. Not ideal on a number of levels. I assume that since you're bulk cooking you'll need a fridge or freezer. Those will drain your starter battery if you're considering just plugging it in.

Two strong suggestions. Make certain you get a reliable lithium jump starter. They are invaluable. And as mentioned above, calculate your energy needs realistically and allow some extra.

Then you can decide which solutions are best for you.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

There is another way. You can buy a large inverter and connect it to your starter battery.

You'll have to keep your engine running while using it, as a larger draw will drain your starter battery fairly quickly if you don't.
You would also need to directly connect it to the battery posts in the engine bay, as the 12v power outlets can't handle much more than 150w.

If you're bulk cooking you'd be using your car engine as the generator. Not ideal on a number of levels. I assume that since you're bulk cooking you'll need a fridge or freezer. Those will drain your starter battery if you're considering just plugging it in.

Two strong suggestions. Make certain you get a reliable lithium jump starter. They are invaluable. And as mentioned above, calculate your energy needs realistically and allow some extra.

Then you can decide which solutions are best for you.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
I went to a camping store and told them my goal was to be able to run a small air fryer and a 12v refrigerator, not at the same time They suggested a 2000w sine inverter and use it while the vehicle is running. I have only basic electric comprehension. I thought it was an attainable goal, but the more
research and help I get it doesn’t seem feasible. I can work with a propane stove , but I was trying to not buy another piece of equipment

Running a 12 volt refrigerator usually requires an extra power source. Used to be this was accomplished with an extra battery and a solar panel as a cheap source of charging especially if you were parked for more than a few days. An Ecoflow Delta ll cr larger power pack would probably be my choice for a battery today as you could charge it from grid power in just a few hours or from your vehicle during travel days or from a portable solar panel with no need for an inverter as it comes with a 1800 watt one built in as well as a 12 volt source for the refrigerator. Just my guess as to what would work or get a Prius and an inverter!

Your goal is definitely attainable and doesn't have to be complicated in use. But there are many ways to do the same thing.

It's really a matter of the space you can allocate to the items you want/need, and where you're going to be.

As mentioned above, a power larger power station would do the trick with a matched solar panel and/or alternator charging from the car. If you have the space it's a good idea.

Will you be urban or boondocking.

I went to a camping store and told them my goal was to be able to run a small air fryer and a 12v refrigerator, not at the same time They suggested a 2000w sine inverter and use it while the vehicle is running. I have only basic electric comprehension. I thought it was an attainable goal, but the more
research and help I get it doesn’t seem feasible. I can work with a propane stove , but I was trying to not buy another piece of equipment
Many passenger cars do not have a large enough capacity alternator and battery setup to make this a viable solution. What happens is that doing that will wear out your alternator long before it’s normal wear cycle. . I know one car meachanic I met recently who does that in his Honda Element to recharge his household items. After his first alternator died he replaced it with one from an auto parts store chain that sold an alternator with a lifetime warranty. His alternators continue to wear out early and he continues to replace the alternator. But here is the catch to that scheme, he is a professional auto mechanic so it cost him nothing but his time to swap alternators. He is not stuck by the side of the road needing a tow and he is not facing labor charges to replace the alternator. So kiddies..do not try this trick without adult supervision! Meaning if you do not have the ability to swap out an alternator find some other way to cook your food besides using the alternator in a passenger car.

Unfortunately no matter what you choose it is not going to be a truly low cost solution if discretely cooking with electric appliances in a storage unit is your goal. You will need a portable, rechargeable power source and a way to recharge that power source.

Last edited:
For $100 spent, you can cook all your meals for 6 months with propane.

For $1000 spent, you can cook some of your meals with *electricity.

For $3000 spent, you can cook most of your meals, most of the time, with *electricity.

Decide on a budget, and we can help you make the right decisions.

(*using portable solar panels and batteries)

While folks may be afraid of propane, poor electrical wiring causes a lot of van fires.

Aftervreading the initial post again I noticed that the intent is to cook bulk meals. Doesn’t that slso mean you are going to need a refidgerator or freezer to store them in so they stay food safe? That means you need a 24/7 power source for the fridge. You can live out of car but you can’t have everything your heart desires when you make the change to living that way.

Sorry, this is all new. And I guess the guy at camping world is giving me bad info. I can easily work with a LP stove connected to a 20lb tank. Or charcoal at public parks. By bulk cooking I meant preparing a few days meals at the storage unit and going with a larger 12v fridge for storage in the vehicle. I thought all of those fridge units would just work off of the outlet. I’m going to be city living and keeping my head down, so
I don’t know if a solar panel is a great idea to stay stealthy

Finding a source of electricity in an urban setting shouldn’t be that hard. Many libraries, restaurants, bathrooms or picnic pavilions have outlets you can use to charge up smaller portable power packs. Does your storage unit have an outlet you can use? Car manufacturers don’t usually design charging systems or use starter batteries any larger than necessary as it cost them money. You are better off in the long run figuring out your own independent system. I have used break room refrigerators at my work place or free ice from drink machines or motels I worked at or visited. Having a 12 volt refrigerator is great but at a bare minimum you need to be sure you have a way to jump start you vehicle should it run down your car starter battery while parked if you use your vehicle for a power source.