Audiobooks anyone?? Updates, suggestions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YouTube. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of audio books on YouTube.

I use LibriVox.org, free public domain audiobooks. Listened to the Histories vol 1, 2, 3 by Herodotus, Ancient Greek historian. I'm totally impressed there were any people left to populate the earth.

Just happened upon this thread and have not read through all of it. However, I am going to recommend two Audible books that I found to be both entertaining and thought provoking.

The first being Sycamore Row, by John Grisham. Set in the 1970's south, it is a look at society after it was forced to face the consequences of the "Jim Crow laws". Written in the usual intriguing Grisham fashion, the reader does not realize that they are reading a commentary on race until the end of the novel. The main plot hits you in the face with such a vengeance that your life will never be the same when you click the close button for the last time.

The second Audible book that I recommend is a Best Seller that deserves the honor. "Where The Crawdads Sing", by Delia Owens tells a story of a beautiful girl child and her struggles to grow to a woman with little help from her family or her community. A true story of human resiliency, you will walk away from the novel with the feeling that you, as a human, can accomplish anything you desire. Faced with every possible roadblock, this young girl finds a work around, including a way to make a living, a way to educate herself and a way to keep dangerous people away from her. The author expertly leaves the reader hanging on several pivotal parts of the story until the end, where they will be wondering if they like how it ended or not.

My two cents on the subject......

I have been reading a series of detective books by the author Jon Talton. They are set in Phoenix and include some comments about the history of the area. The author has written a short book about the history of the city of Phoenix including talking about the irrigation canal system the native Americans created begining in AD 400.

Most of those books are available in audio format. I am checking them out as Ebooks from my local library.

I just listened to the Unabomber manifesto. It was really interesting. The guy wasn't a nut like he was made out to be by the media. Granted he did blow things up and that's not good but his manifesto was pretty brilliant and prophetic.

What is the exact title of the unabomber book and where did you find it? Thanks

I love The Classic Tales Podcast, narrated by B.J. Harrison. He does dramatic readings of classic works in the public domain, posted every Friday. His voice work is pretty good, especially his "Jeeves and Wooster" readings. Each episode is free for a few weeks, and if you don't download them during that window, you'll have to pay to download them.

Firtree said:
What is the exact title of the unabomber book and where did you find it? Thanks
There isn't a title or a book. It's a written manifesto that was sent to the authorities during his bombings.
It's narrated here 
Ironically it is also what got him caught. His brother recognized the writing style and alerted the police.

Just finished "Why we age and why we don't have to"
By Dr. David Sinclair a researcher at Harvard medical. Groundbreaking stuff. Immortality seems like a possibility. He's on YouTube also. Anybody aging or sick should read up on his work. He is stopping and reversing the aging process.

My favorite series are

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files, Codex Alera
Sherrilyn Kenyon - All
Ilona Andrews - Kate Daniels
John Flanigan - Rangers apprentice, Brother Band Chronicles
Ernest Cline - All (Ready player one)
Christopher Paolini
A. American - Survivalist Series
Rick Riordan - All
Ken Grimwood - Replay
Annette Marie - Guild Codex Books
Patricia Briggs - Mercy Thompson
Raymond E. Fiest - Midkemia Series
Robert Jordan - Eye of the World
Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl
Scott Meyer - Off to be the wizard
Dannika Dark - Keystone Chronicles
Anne Mcaffrey - Pern, Crystal Singer
Kevin Hearne - Iron Druid
Garth Nix - Old Kingdom Novels

SamIAm, my book list looks much like yours.
You may also want to check out Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar Series and CJ Cherryh. I think you may enjoy their work.

Relaxing at night with Ready Player One exercises the imagination. And I know the guy is sometimes subject to criticism, but he does talk about success and happiness in context outside a career and money,
Tony Robbins will get you juiced.
Also......If you’re in the Southern Delta, like me, stop at Flea Market shops.  They have audio books, especially John Grisham.