Audiobooks anyone?? Updates, suggestions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone here ever heard the David Pittu read version of "Blackwood Farm" by Anne Rice?

(HOMO-haters-cringers will NOT NOT NOT like this book.)

Another one I universally recommend is "Trustee From the Tool Room" by Nevil Shute.
Takes a while to get going, but if you have the original version read by Frank Muller, it is one that even audiobook haters will ask to borrow so they can finish it.

Anyone here ever listen to the Deathlands audio drama series??
(some like the blood, gore and sex-soaked tales with all the sound effects.)
I would call them "modern, rated "R" radio theater.

Sci Fi talk and no one mentioned Enders game??

Also, any S King horror with Frank Muller as the reader.

Orson Scott Card for Ender's Game. I liked it too. Forgot it was a different author than Niven. They are similar.

Firtree said:
Just searched for Lord Valentine's Castle and found as Kindle and on Audible$$. My libraries did not carry as regular e or audiobook but one library did carry the 3 audiobooks in Hoopla. Hoopla is offered by some libraries and is a another way to find audiobooks, movies, TV series, music. Need the Hoopla App and register with that library card. Books and such go away after the checkout period and at my library limited to 7 checkouts per month.

-Yes have read and listened to many of Heinlein’s books. Recently finished audiobook Farmer in the Sky.
The Seattle library has it available as an audio book and an ebook too. Fortunately their is no monthly limit but you are limited to checking out 21 books at the same time.

I like to read mystery, who done it and western themed books but I will start a thread for that at some time rather than over run your sci-fi themed thread.

+1 for Ender's Game :)
I vividly recall reading the novella in Analog, when it was first released. :)
I was somewhat disappointed by the Ender-specific sequels, except for the short stories (particularly loved the short story that defined Speaker for the Dead).

The core of my disappointment was the original novella all but promised to tell us what happened to the rest of the Battle School kids, but the Ender specific novels didn't. I had to wait decades for OSC's "Shadow" series to get my answers. :) Those were superb, with much relevance to our times.

For those who like OSC and alternate histories, the "The Tales of Alvin Maker" series is superb.
Disclaimer: I haven't read them all... not yet. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pern
(For the two people here without enough bandwidth to click a Wiki link: This is a link to an overview of the fictional PERN universe.)

^^^Pretty epic stuff.

Even if you do not get off on sci-fi, these will entice you.
Sci-Fi back drop, VERY human story.
As time went on and her son became more involved in writing the books, they tended to be diluted...but the early stuff was wonderful.

Excellent summary!
The series presents as fantasy, but there's a solid science foundation to everything, including the bioengineering of the dragons. :)
From a History & Anthropology Geek point of view, it's fascinating and makes sense.

The best place to start is with the first book written: Dragonflight.
It was an enhancement of two previous novellas, one of which won the Hugo and the other the Nebula (in both cases, McCaffrey was the first ever woman to receive each award).
Follow up with Dragonquest and The White Dragon, which complete the original trilogy.

Another good starting point is the Harper Hall trilogy, particularly if you're musically inclined, which I'm not, but I identify strongly with the female protagonist's quest to follow a very non-traditional path (there were several times I was the only female in my math/engineering/science courses). They're shorter and I've re-read the first two more times than any other books in the entire series. :)
Yes, JD, I have enjoyed many a bubbly pie and have Walked the Tables. :)

YouTube offers an incredible number of free audio books and BBC radio broadcasts. I have over 350 on my Watch list. It will take years to get thru them all.

jeanmarie said:
YouTube offers an incredible number of free audio books and BBC radio broadcasts. I have over 350 on my Watch list. It will take years to get thru them all.

Herman Wouk died today. Author of The Caine Mutiny (Pulitzer) Winds of War, War and Remembrance, etc. All made into movies or mini series. Just now looked for audiobooks. No audio at my libraries though Hoopla does have a 2 hr show of the trial.
At Audible the audiobooks are quite pricy even with the ‘member discount’. The books are long.
Did buy Winds of War recently when they had a sale. Think it will last for a xCountry trip.

Audio mood today, cloudy wanting to sprinkle.

In addition to listening to the Great Detectives Podcast I follow Imagination Theater. You can listen to it on KIXI online, 8PM (Pacific) Sunday. The originator of Imagination Theater was Jim French, recently passed. He wrote, produced these shows for over 40 years. Many famous radio and TV folks played parts. My Favorite series is Harry Nile a detective. I bought most of the series shows from Audible, iTunes and directly from Imagination Theater.
Since Jim French’s death the company kind of died and is now being reformed by some of the actors and writers. There is a GoFundMe campaign going on but that’s not what I’m writing about.

Checkout KIXI online, (there’s and App too) they have a schedule of their shows, 8 PM Sunday Pacific is what you want. Also look for Imagination Theater on YouTube they have a few shows for listening.

Anyone here ever choose audiobooks just on who reads???

If you are new to audiobooks, one listen to any of the S King or Anne Rice novels he recorded will show you Frank Muller, one of the very very best.
He could make a weak novel interesting.
Master of voices. Truly.

www.audible.com/ep/NHOF_FrankMuller

^^^Due to CRVL forum rules and regulations, I must now type in a description of the link above.
Description=
It is a nice looking link. Rather short.
It has the letters NHOF towards the end of it.
It begins with "www."

It also says "FrankMuller" at the very end of it.
The link is from the site AUDIBLE. (Owned by Amazon.)
You do not need an account to see the information, which is mainly text.
There is also a picture of this Frank Muller guy.
There are even links to view and purchase some  books Frank read.
There are pretty pictures of novel covers and other Audible related schwag.
Audible has some great bandwidth and multiple mirrored servers, meaning the link should pop right up.
Should any of you need more clarification or a more in-depth description, please PM me.

I have nothing but time and would be happy to spend hours on the phone to be certain clicking this link is the right decision for you. Please review safety/trigger warnings about this link, included as a courtesy below.

If you click this link, it will bring you to an Internet article.

(The Internet is this world wide web we all interact on. )
You can then view the article on your screen.
(This is where you see the stuff your computer/tablet/phone spits out.)
The webpage this link takes you to is in the primary color of red.
(If any of you are allergic to red...or get otherwise triggered by the color red...you may want to ask your own doctor/shrink if clicking this link is right for you.) (Have to keep everyone safe, now.)
Speaking of safe...This article that link above will take you to...it talks about fantasy books that may cause conflict with your own religion.
(Speak to your Imam, Rabbi, Priest or whatever spiritual leader (NAMBLA leader, perhaps?) fits your own idea of moral correctness. Would not want to see the link influence you religiously.)

The article provides a very brief, four paragraph description of the human being that used to be called Frank Muller. (He was a man who died before the virtual castration/shame movement took hold in the US media. If you hate unapologetic, intact men and the sight of them disgusts you---talk to your own therapist, life coach or road scholar (crystal-bearing "channeler"?) for more competent advice.)

The article is incredibly biased towards the memory of Frank Muller, almost saying he was some kind of Audiobook God. (Please, be sure to have consulted with your own people to see if this shocking example of sacrilege will harm you in any way. Pure thoughts. Pure thoughts.)

When you click the link, there will be links up top encouraging you to open an account with Audible.

(Check with your own social justice warrior friends to see if Amazon and Audible are "friendly" companies or not. (this week) Pitiful capitalism makes some ill. If this is you, proceed with caution.)

(Even if you want to email me and get a full HTML printout on paper before clicking...even sending a printout of the HTML via snail mail on old fashioned paper is not too far to go.)

If you are reading this by channeling another person, please have them PM me.
We can setup a séance and beam the thought patterns more clearly for you.

Crystal chard holders from the planet Neuteron, we are aware of your issues and working on your interface solution.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Gotta keep everyone safe. Even those in triple layer foil hats.)

YouTube has some audiobooks but they are long downloads and some how you need to convert to mp3. There are online options for that.

Recently on YouTube ran across some 45-120 min radio shows. Some were broadcast as far back as 1969.
Look for BBC Radio Drama
Course they all talk funny and they do sound like a radio but there are some WWII type stories, murder mysteries, spy and maybe documentary.

There are current BBC Radio channels online. They seem more like serial shows and each may only be available for a week or so

YouTube has some audiobooks but they are long downloads and some how you need to convert to mp3. There are online options for that.

Recently on YouTube ran across some 45-120 min radio shows. Some were broadcast as far back as 1969.
Look for BBC Radio Drama
Course they all talk funny and they do sound like a radio but there are some WWII type stories, murder mysteries, spy.

There are current BBC Radio channels online. They seem more like serial shows and each may only be available for a week or so

Almost 1/2 way through an audiobook, might be a good reading book but this narrator is good. It’s a new release so may not be in many libraries. I had to buy audiobook (Audible) as not able to find to reserve.

Red Metal by Mark Greaney and a LtCol Rawlings USMC (RET?)