AT&T Mobley

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesbay

Reaction score
In the wake of the current $5 unlimited VZW LTE situation - I started looking into the $20/month AT&T connected car service on the ZTE Mobley device.  After getting frustrated with the at&t website, I picked up the phone and the 3rd person I was transferred to had answers to my questions.  

Here's what I found out:
1. ZTE is in legal trouble and as a result, AT&T can no longer sell or support the ZTE Mobley.  Good news is that AT&T is working to identify a device vendor for a connected car solution that will work with older cars and/or cars that do not have Wi-Fi built in.  No time frame as to when this will be available, but its good to know that AT&T wants to offer this.
2. When the Mobley was available it was $100 for the device plus $20/month for service.
2. $20/month AT&T connected car service is currently only available on 2017 and newer vehicles with built in Wi-Fi 

Doug

Yeah the legal troubles have me wondering if ATT will renew my contract next summer when my 2 year contract runs out. 

I guess we will see....

If the Mobley contract is not renewed after the two years.... we have had a great two years.

ZTE is in fact having some issues, but it seems to have been cleared that they'll be able to continue operating in the US for now after paying some stiff fines.

However, in regards to aftermarket Connected Car devices (like the Mobley) - AT&T actually changed their terms last September to no longer activate them on the $20/month unlimited plan. As noted, it is only available for built in devices such as On Star. It'll be a glorious day if the aftermarket solution comes back however.

Wonder why the still have the site up to sign up.
https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/honda.html

AT&T Connected Car Unlimited Plan (Prepaid 30-Day Auto-Renew): U.S. only. Prepaid session-based data plans provide you with access to AT&T wireless data services for your equipped vehicle, including but not limited to features that may be used with wireless data services, content and application. Eligible vehicle, data plan and compatible SIM card required. Duration: Session-based prepaid plans for 30 days. Auto Renewal: Plans automatically renew every 30 days unless canceled. To cancel at any time call 877.505.2834 or by accessing your account online. Auto Renewal Payments: Monthly charges will automatically be billed to credit card on file on day 30 unless canceled. Payments are non-refundable (subject to applicable law). Pricing: $20 for a 30-day prepaid plan. Limits: 1 vehicle per 30-day prepaid plan. Devices: Sold separately. Data: For use in the U.S. only. Hotspot: Connects a limited number of Wi-Fi capable devices per vehicle hotspot, as specified by the vehicle maker. Devices connected to vehicle’s hotspot use data from your plan. Once a device connects, it will automatically reconnect and use data from your plan unless hotspot is removed from returning device settings or hotspot password is changed. Performance varies based on number of devices connected and other factors. Stream Saver® feature not available for this Plan. General Session Based Wireless Service Terms: Subject to AT&T Session Based Wireless Data Services Agreement available at http://www.att.com/USTermsandconditions. Offer, terms, and pricing subject to change. Coverage and service not available everywhere.

RVTravel said:
Wonder why the still have the site up to sign up.
https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/honda.html

.... Eligible vehicle, data plan and compatible SIM card required.

As noted in the fine print... the plan is still available, but only to 'eligible vehicles'. Which means vehicles with the integrated On Star system. After market diagnostic devices, like the Mobley, can no longer be activated.

Latest posts