Anyone travel with a guitar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29503

Reaction score
If you play guitar you know the hot temperatures aren't good. With those of you with just roof vents and portable fans, have you been able to maintain safe temperature for your instrument throughout your travels?

I brought a cheap laminated acoustic with me. Laminated travels better than solid wood. It doesn't get extremely hot in the van while I'm in it. It does get extremely cold. I turn the heat off when I sleep.

Another huge thing to consider is humidity. In the desert, there's very little of it and although I try to avoid it, I run into areas of high humidity.

I wouldn't bring a solid wood Martin etc because I'd rather listen to it than watch it explode!  :D

I'm attaching a link to a PDF Martin sent out to their dealers in case my post above sounds overly dramatic. Take note that it discusses the effects of humidity and temp inside a music store, not a van. Some humidity issues can be handled with a good case with a humidifier but that would only apply to low humidity and when it's in the case. They won't even honor their own warranty when a guitar's been exposed to extremes.

Martin dealer bulletin

Yep the bridge tends to develop problems. You might be better off with a cheap ukulele.

MotorVation said:
I'm attaching a link to a PDF Martin sent out to their dealers in case my post above sounds overly dramatic. Take note that it discusses the effects of humidity and temp inside a music store, not a van. Some humidity issues can be handled with a good case with a humidifier but that would only apply to low humidity and when it's in the case. They won't even honor their own warranty when a guitar's been exposed to extremes.

Martin dealer bulletin
Thank you.  I will take it into consideration.

bullfrog said:
Yep the bridge tends to develop problems. You might be better off with a cheap ukulele.
Yeah I figured negative effects no matter what.  I didn't plan on taking my Taylor, just a cheapo.  When it dies, I'd bury it and get a new disaster at a local shop.  KLOS makes carbon fiber but I already have a $600 guitar.  Thanks.

I paid 150 for my beater about 4 yrs ago. I used to keep it in a soft case when it was in the van but I don't bother anymore. It was always in the way. Main thing, it tunes up ok. If anything, the action's improved. The belly's probably pulled up a bit. I got my money out of it a long time ago. Now, if I'd only get back in practice.. 

If one were inclined to play through an amp, a Fender Squier Telecaster would be perfect in a van. When you're not playing it, it could be used as a leveling block, weapon, or hammer.

I got one of those Martin small guitars made with a spruce top and arborite top and sides, the neck is made of some kind of lamination. I initially bought it because of it’s size in order to fit in the overhead on planes, and also as space is at a premium in a van, however as I was looking at it one day I started thinking how good it still looked, how strong it is and almost impossible to even scratch it because of how it is built, my guess is that it will take a fair amount of abuse, both from being bashed around and from climate, it has a pickup in it so can be adjusted on an amp to play a bit bassier.

I have a cheap Ibanez electric that i am hoping to bring with me. Its cheap but i've grown kind of attached to it, i would hate to have it warp up on me. I was wondering how others have fared using a gig back for insulation and covering it up. I have a little pocket amp that i play it on.

I was in Quartzsite for 2 months last winter. I put two humidity regulators I bought from Sweetwater in the gig bag. Then I wrapped the gig bag in 2 sleeping bags. Only took out the guitar when temps and humidity were in the safe zone.

Looking in to buying a carbon fiber guitar which will eliminate all the fuss.

JeanInaBox said:
I was in Quartzsite for 2 months last winter. I put two humidity regulators I bought from Sweetwater in the gig bag. Then I wrapped the gig bag in 2 sleeping bags. Only took out the guitar when temps and humidity were in the safe zone.

Looking in to buying a carbon fiber guitar which will eliminate all the fuss.

Did those safeguards for the most part prevent major warping and other damage? I know the cold can be just as bad as the heat, but i wonder if these same measure would work in July? I think cat litter inside a tied up sock, in the gig bag could be a cheap solution as well. Either way, i think i'm going to give it a go, and bring the Ibanez with me. Just too many opportunities to play that i think i would miss otherwise. I have read that electric guitars do tend to hold up better than acoustic. I guess we'll see. I'll post my experiences along the way, and offer advice and or solutions that work or didn't work for me. Thanks for the input.

I gave it a shot in November and December months. Traveled from east coast cold to Az heat. Didn’t seem to warp at all. Always keep it wrapped up and as low to the floor as possible when hot weather. Just my experience. Not sure about July weather. But I would still rather try than to be without. Mine is a Martin SC13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for replying.  I bought a Rogue RA-090 Concert acoustic.  I was surprised as I thought it had better sound than the Jasmine S-34C or Mitchell O120CESB, which are both well reviewed learner models, but slightly more expensive.  I'm going to eventually put Elixer Phospher Bronze 12-53, and when the newness wears a way, a new bridge to help lower the action.  Can't wait for my new friend to get here!

Before covid I camped at blues festivals in my truck canopy. Then and now I have 2 Ibanez AEG 10 N II guitars I purchased for less than 200 dollars. They are nylon string hybrids. They're great for quiet campground conditions. I've read negative posts about nylon strings outdoors. Been playing mine outside for 5 years and still going.

I just picked up a Rogue 90A concert acoustic.  I usually make it a practice to avoid Guitar Center, but they had Memorial Day sale and it was only $77.   I live in an area saturated with Pawn and Flea market shops.  This is a side rant, but pawn shops are ridiculous.  They hang these older, used guitars up with wear, and in addition, missing strings, dirty fret boards, ect., and charge what  full retail for would be for a brand spankin' new one.  So my point is, I could have bought one of those or just go buy a new jalopy to sacrifice to the Guitar Gods (Les, Eddie, and Chet).  Anyway, it's laminate, but real sharp.  I'm going to learn finger style on the road.

John Galt said:
Lofty goal, those guys are unique artists. I suspect it takes low string action to do that stuff.
I love fingerstyle.  I have some classical training so it won't be too hard to adapt.  Need to get through my "boom-chick" stage and I'll be okay.  I'm not sure about the action.  I played my first acoustic as is and my fingers are considered "boot camp" graduates, however, I do like a lower action.