Anyone travel with a guitar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan to hit the road in a few months in a 2019 Ford Transit Connect with an after market tall top. I have an Ovation Legend six string an a custom made Bouzouki (an Irish 8 stringed lute like instrument). Both of which I would like to travel with. Any advice, suggestion or opinion?

Attached are some photos of me and my van. One of me playing my Bouzouki at a local Irish session, the other two are me playing my bagpipes . One with my band the other jamming with some friends playing "It's a long way to the top". Due to damage to my spine I can no longer play my bagpipes with the band. However I do own a set of carbon fiber and stainless steel bagpipes which will travel with me. The photo with me in a top hat is from when I would dress up as a 'Steam Punk' piper in a costume of my own making and go to some where on the route of a race and play my pipes for the runners. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. I could play for about two hours then my lips would no longer be able maintain a seal around the blow stick and i would have to stop. In the top hat photo you can see the carbon fiber bagpipes. I am also trying to teach myself the Clarinet which I also plan to travel with.
strangely enough, my current neighbor, who is a full-timer originally from the UK, is an amateur luthier and Ovation collector. We were talking guitars a couple weeks ago and he remarked that Ovations are susceptible to top splitting because the back is composite and doesn’t move with the wood top. He high recommends a hard case and humidifier.

Going back to my teaching job in Mississippi soon. A good place to work on learning songs for a resonator guitar. I have a work space I can keep any instruments in, and not in the van. But that humidity is a killer. I don't plan on spending much time in that part of the country after I retire in Spring 2023. Prefer places with drier climates. I did build a guitar closet with a hidden door in my van build. Has an extra layer of insulation, but no humidity control. Seems its changes in humidity and temps that warp things. Perhaps I should find a very cheap guitar as a guinea pig of sorts. See how well my storage system works.
You can get devices to both humidify and dehumidify a guitar in the case. If you go online and search any big music supplier, you will see them.

You can get devices to both humidify and dehumidify a guitar in the case. If you go online and search any big music supplier, you will see them.
I ordered a 3 set of Hohner harmonicas this week. Because I got the Marine Band version, they have a wood frame. I just ordered a 10 pack of these and a 3 harp case to keep them dry or wet, depending on the weather. They also make guitar size.
I’m currently using a humidifier only (you have to frequently wet it) in my guitar soundhole because I’m in desert climate most of the time. But, if they work well with my harps, I may buy the larger size for my guitar case.
They sell on Amazon too:

https://store.bovedainc.com/collections/boveda-for-wood-instruments

Interested in bringing a guitar with me in the van. I've found good sound makes me play more often and for longer. Ease of play as well. I have a Martin D-16 I'm thinking of bringing with me. Sold wood, mohogany with a spruce top. It had a bridge that was pulling up when I bought it. That brought the price down considerably and I had a quality luthier re-set, re-glue the bridge.

I built a slot in a cabinet just for carrying the guitar. Extra insulation all around it. Snug padded fit to keep it from banging around. I love playing around a campfire with others at night. I'm hoping this works out okay. I realize the changes in temperatures and humidity might put some stress on it.

Does anyone else here travel with a solid wood acoustic guitar and find they are able to maintain the condition of the guitar reasonably well?

If not what issues came up? Did you go to one made of different materials kontorflytting, etc. as a solution?

(looking for comments from direct experience as opposed to "I heard" or "I read somewhere")
I intend to fly with a guitar and was wondering what is the best way to go about it. I was planning on taking Korean Air and have called them asking if I could bring a musical instrument on board the plane. Their reply was that the height + width + depth should add up to no more 115cm and should not exceed 12kg in weight. A guitar case obviously exceeds the first condition. Asked if it was possible to store it in the coat cabinet and their reply was no; they said that I would have to buy a seat for my guitar if I wanted it on the plane. Is there any way around this or would I have to check my guitar in? I do not mind checking it in if safety wasn't an issue. If they break it, are they liable? Hoping to hear how some of you managed to pull this off! Much appreciated.

I intend to fly with a guitar and was wondering what is the best way to go about it...
I looked into this when one of my kids was on tour domestically. Came up with basically the same answers you have.

We ended up checking it, which is quite risky. A "flat drop" is the worst. I found some best practice instructions on the internet, which focused on supporting the neck. Her guitar was a dreadnought in a very stout (wooden) case. It lived.

For international travel, she carries a beater or begs one locally on arrival. On her last visit here from across the pond, she mentioned a model with a removable neck, which she said was way out of her price range.

(Funny this came up today. I just came in from measuring a spot for my husband's guitar in the van. It will fit, but he'll have to stay home.)

I was in a band thru the 70’s here is a line up of my equipment. If I still had this stuff I would be a wealthy man
1st guitar, painted my parents house for the $ 412.00 New Strat.
66’ Fender Strat Red w/ rosewood fingerboard
58’ Gibson Les Paul Jr. red, double cut /badass bridge
61’ Gibson SG Jr. White w/ badass bridge
71’ Gibson Flying V Medallion
78’ Gibson Les Paul Special tobacco sunburst, double cut P90 PUs
73’ 100W Marshall Stack Had to get my Parents to co-sign for the loan because the Bank didn’t know what a Marshall was, seriously.
71’ 50W Marshall 1987 head
58’ Gibson GA-6 Tweed loaded w/ 12” Celestion Greenback.

Those were the days! LOL!F6EE7113-9CB2-46CD-A29A-90F3117D322F.jpeg164F5521-EB59-480F-947C-DE98A7D1C1FA.jpeg

Equipment shot, Frat House @Penn State
Live shot, w/ Manfred Mann around 73 Mishler Theater, Altoona Pa.25EE8BB9-86BA-471D-945D-637F73E11292.jpeg

I've always had instruments with me, guitars, keyboards etc, never had one break from temperature etc.

If the environment is too harsh for an instrument, its too harsh for habitation and then some

As far as taking a guitar on a plane, I'd pack it well, fill the soundhole if its an acoustic, but pack it ready for inspection. Have it stowed like any oversized cargo.
Alternatively, ship it.
If both options are too expensive, because you have an expensive instrument and need a nice case, then leave it behind and pick up a beater at your destination, or rent something

There's no reliable cheap option, that I'm aware of

I've always had instruments with me, guitars, keyboards etc, never had one break from temperature etc.

If the environment is too harsh for an instrument, its too harsh for habitation and then some

As far as taking a guitar on a plane, I'd pack it well, fill the soundhole if its an acoustic, but pack it ready for inspection. Have it stowed like any oversized cargo.
Alternatively, ship it.
If both options are too expensive, because you have an expensive instrument and need a nice case, then leave it behind and pick up a beater at your destination, or rent something

There's no reliable cheap option, that I'm aware of
In a hardcase! Wouldn't try it in a gig-bag.

In a hardcase! Wouldn't try it in a gig-bag.

For sure on a plane or shipping, I use a gig bag but its a decent one and doesn't get knocked around in the truck. I prefer gig bags to take it hiking

Actually about time to replace it come to think, another $50 in the hole

My Guitar stays at home. I travel with my Harmonica. No problem, just put it in my pocket, but I do understand your problem and sympathies with you.