Anyone travel with a guitar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Odd ball here. I sport an alto sax. Reeds are cheaper to replace but haven't noticed undue dryness or chipping in the nearly 2 years near Hesperia,CA. I have an unhealthy lack of humidity with the extreme temps here. But I keep them in a sealed bag when not used.

I travel with a Taylor Mini GS and I love it! It is small enough for the van. It has a good tone without an amp, better with an amp and hopefully someone has one at a bigger event. I use a Di Addario Humidipac but it’s rather expensive. I lent out my damp it to someone who’s probably not even using it. Time to just buy another one is over 3,000 miles away. Iol

Since I'm working with limited space, small is always better. Plus, when I was a young'n, I stepped on my old Takamine during a night time campfire jam. I still miss that guitar. So, a small and cheap guitar seems to be the ticket for me.
I found a Little Martin on Craigslist for $225 four years ago. Still hasn't warped or exploded in endless journeys and general abuse. Stays in tune reasonably well. It's my go-to camp geetar. If I step on it, I won't break the bank!
Plus, I notice that when I finally get on a full dreadnaught, or a 12-string, it feels like a full bodied dream, and I turn into Leo Kottke (in my mind, anyway).

I found this cheap one for around $200. It has the neck of a Fender Strat. It's close to the Wizard III neck on a lot of Ibanez solid body electrics. This is made for Ibanez. It has a 9vt battery and an EQ. It plugs right into an amp using a regular guitar cable.

blueGuitar.png

Since I'm working with limited space, small is always better. Plus, when I was a young'n, I stepped on my old Takamine during a night time campfire jam. I still miss that guitar. So, a small and cheap guitar seems to be the ticket for me.
I found a Little Martin on Craigslist for $225 four years ago. Still hasn't warped or exploded in endless journeys and general abuse. Stays in tune reasonably well. It's my go-to camp geetar. If I step on it, I won't break the bank!
Plus, I notice that when I finally get on a full dreadnaught, or a 12-string, it feels like a full bodied dream, and I turn into Leo Kottke (in my mind, anyway).
Little Martin?? The one that looks like a canoe paddle or a 00 body. I haven't played a Dred in decades. I carray a 001X in the van because it's cheap and the 000 stays safe.

If you play guitar you know the hot temperatures aren't good. With those of you with just roof vents and portable fans, have you been able to maintain safe temperature for your instrument throughout your travels?
The low desert humidity levels are so hard to overcome that I don't even think about temps.

I got one of those Martin small guitars made with a spruce top and arborite top and sides, the neck is made of some kind of lamination. I initially bought it because of it’s size in order to fit in the overhead on planes, and also as space is at a premium in a van, however as I was looking at it one day I started thinking how good it still looked, how strong it is and almost impossible to even scratch it because of how it is built, my guess is that it will take a fair amount of abuse, both from being bashed around and from climate, it has a pickup in it so can be adjusted on an amp to play a bit bassier.
Martin calls the sides and back HPL. High pressure laminate, Formica for short! I bought a 001X when you could get them with out electronic stuff in them. The top has two cracks in it that close some according to how much attention. But, that's why its in the van...no worries. It has enough bass for me, but then so does a mandolin. I brought it out in my 00 some with EL19 strings. light tops, heavy bottoms. Not a lot more bass, it still sounds like a guitar.

I bought a new Martin D Jr. Natural in 2018 before hitting the road. Sizewize it works great as it does take up much less space.
Unfortunately, as you would fear, spending the majority of my time in Arizona and New Mexico, I’ve had cracks form in the back wood. I believe this is more related to low humidity rather temperatures only because I do have AC and heat in my trailer and keep the temp fairly constant +\- 10 deg. F.
I only have the gig bag it came with. I’m likely going to get a hard case so the humidifier I bought after discovering the cracks is more effective.

Last edited:
Some guitars are completely composite. They tend to be quite pricey though. Martin has a high pressure laminate, (HPL), It is the LXK2, which should also do well. I think the 2 in the name indicates the top is also HPL. LX1 models have a solid wood top and HPL sides and back.

I recently dropped off my acoustic at my storage unit and grabbed my Bacchus Jazz bass.
I'm like 80% bass player, so I'm willing to put up with the awkward 40" bulk taking up space in my van.
It's funny, I'm often told I play very guitarish bass since I play chords and switch back and forth from playing on the downbeat and upbeat.
But when I pay guitar it just sounds like a high pitched bass.

I've become interested in resonator guitars lately. Some of them have steel bodies, seems that would take some of the worry over cracks away. Humidity I would think would be much less of an issue. They do have wood necks, which could warp I suppose. But I'm hearing here more about issues with cracks appearing in the thin wood of the bodies.

I've become interested in resonator guitars lately. Some of them have steel bodies, seems that would take some of the worry over cracks away. Humidity I would think would be much less of an issue. They do have wood necks, which could warp I suppose. But I'm hearing here more about issues with cracks appearing in the thin wood of the bodies.
Well, neck warp IS a big issue if the instrument is exposed to big variances in temp and humidity. Don't ask me how I know this! ; (

I also have a resonator, an Epiphone M-14 that I've considered bringing along on my travels. Not exactly a collector's item - but no chance of the (nickle) body cracking. But I would be concerned about the neck warping, especially in hot humid climates (which i like to avoid anyway).

The main drawback is that the darn thing is a boat anchor. Seriously, it weighs 20 pounds in the case! That's a big reason that it's currently in storage instead of traveling with me.

Well, neck warp IS a big issue if the instrument is exposed to big variances in temp and humidity. Don't ask me how I know this! ; (

I also have a resonator, an Epiphone M-14 that I've considered bringing along on my travels. Not exactly a collector's item - but no chance of the (nickle) body cracking. But I would be concerned about the neck warping, especially in hot humid climates (which i like to avoid anyway).

The main drawback is that the darn thing is a boat anchor. Seriously, it weighs 20 pounds in the case! That's a big reason that it's currently in storage instead of traveling with me.
Going back to my teaching job in Mississippi soon. A good place to work on learning songs for a resonator guitar. I have a work space I can keep any instruments in, and not in the van. But that humidity is a killer. I don't plan on spending much time in that part of the country after I retire in Spring 2023. Prefer places with drier climates. I did build a guitar closet with a hidden door in my van build. Has an extra layer of insulation, but no humidity control. Seems its changes in humidity and temps that warp things. Perhaps I should find a very cheap guitar as a guinea pig of sorts. See how well my storage system works.

Planning to switch to Ukulele when I transition to full time nomad (If? Plans keep getting modded). Much cheaper to replace, much smaller footprint, and the skills are semi-transferable from other
strings.

I was a road musician for decades.
A good rule of thumb for me is I never had my guitars in a temperature or humidity level where I wouldn’t sleep.
If it was too hot or cold, not in the trunk of a vehicle. They were my working tools and I could not afford to replace them. I wouldn’t leave them anywhere I wouldn’t my dog.

I plan to hit the road in a few months in a 2019 Ford Transit Connect with an after market tall top. I have an Ovation Legend six string an a custom made Bouzouki (an Irish 8 stringed lute like instrument). Both of which I would like to travel with. Any advice, suggestion or opinion?

Attached are some photos of me and my van. One of me playing my Bouzouki at a local Irish session, the other two are me playing my bagpipes . One with my band the other jamming with some friends playing "It's a long way to the top". Due to damage to my spine I can no longer play my bagpipes with the band. However I do own a set of carbon fiber and stainless steel bagpipes which will travel with me. The photo with me in a top hat is from when I would dress up as a 'Steam Punk' piper in a costume of my own making and go to some where on the route of a race and play my pipes for the runners. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. I could play for about two hours then my lips would no longer be able maintain a seal around the blow stick and i would have to stop. In the top hat photo you can see the carbon fiber bagpipes. I am also trying to teach myself the Clarinet which I also plan to travel with.

Attachments

• Ashby W Spratley III.jpg
    Ashby W Spratley III.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Bouzouki - Irish session.jpg
    Bouzouki - Irish session.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 5
  • It's a long way to the top.jpg
    It's a long way to the top.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2022-02-21 14.40.01.jpg
    2022-02-21 14.40.01.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2015-12-12 08.50.04a.jpg
    2015-12-12 08.50.04a.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 5
Any ideas on moving past this? I just want to enjoy playing music again.
It seems like the guitar playing is associated with work. Maybe it can be fun again. Wouldn't it be nice to play at the campfire with friends while they and you sing? It sounds like you have the gift of music but have forgotten the joy that it once was.

There is a movie I recommend you watch. The Mountain Minor. I think you will be inspired by it.

Last edited:
What about one of those Martin X series?
They are composite back, sides and neck. They seem to be pretty stable and able to stand up to more wear with temperature changes.