Anyone need a good worker?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
Looking for a job, currently in west Texas but willing to travel, I have a small dog so likely need an apartment or doggie daycare option near by. 

I was looking at Walmart stocking but they don’t seem to be very interested in my application. 

I done night auditor at a hotel and mostly retail but willing to expand outward...I’m so confused I just need a work opportunity so I can make some money for a year or so.

Any advice? Sorry if this is obnoxious to anyone I’m just lost and confused I haven’t made stable income since last October, just getting more panicked and worried every passing day.. 

And advice or suggestions be helpful I’m kinda liking the Lubbock TX area but if I need to go I will, ideally north or to a cooler place but can’t be picky I know.. 

Thanks again

Have you tried coolworks.com? Some remote employers are willing to let you bring your dog to work with you, but be sure to get it in writing before traveling. What about something like Door Dash or Semi-Truck driving, lots of drivers take dogs with them. What about your local vet's office. There lots of help wanted signs hanging out couldn't hurt to ask if they will allow your dog to come with you. Maybe they have a place you could keep a carrier most of the day.

if you have a commercial drivers license, businesses that haul fuel are desperately looking. Check also with your major grocery chain distribution warehouses (not Amazon). Or pick an area you'd like to work in, google it, and start dialing any biz that comes up.

Camp host jobs dogs allowed & includes a place to live plus $$.
-crofter

2021 Camp Host (All U.S. Locations)

https://g.co/kgs/tj1tNo

If you did night auditor you could camp host. Main thing to remember is make it fun. -c

How old are you? I can't tell from what you wrote. My son had a resume similar to yours then went to Swift for truck driving school. He ended up driving for them for two years then for another flatbed trucking company for a year or two. He seriously hated truck driving because he's a sociable person and there was nobody to talk to - some people like it - but now he has no problem getting good jobs that pay a reasonably high sum of money. He was working here in the boonies for a company installing fiber-optic lines and it was the kind of work where he could go home every night. Now he's in a city with a similar job driving for a company that installs fencing. He makes much more than I've ever earned. I think truck driving is good experience for any driving job you might want to do in the future.

You are willing to move for work, and you are just looking for a job for the next year? That confuses me because there are tons of jobs out there now from what I can tell. Hell, there are three large companies right behind where I live that literally have billboards outside saying they are hiring people with no experience at $15+/hr. Companies cannot even find the workers they need... I thought maybe you meant that you are looking for high-paying work, but you said you were applying to stocking jobs at Wal-Mart? My cousin and her husband are now working full-time remotely, and they found their jobs easily. They are making $15/hr. That's probably what you'd make at Wal-Mart in this area, and you can work from home. It seems the country is awash in jobs, actually...

Pets can be a considerable drawback when you have no place for them to stay while you work.  Sometimes as painful as it will no doubt be and feel you need to rehome them to be able to take a job that can support you.

But you might try looking for a night watchman security position. Depending on the dog it could then be a valuable assest rather rthan a problem. There are also such jobs where living on site in an RV or trailer is possible and also desireable to the employer.

Another suitable job along those lines is working as onsite manager for a mini storage yard business. I have seen dogs at work with their owners at several mini storage places where there is a resident manager.

Agricultural work is another possible option where a dog could go along in the work truck. Doing things like fence repair, setting up irrigation lines, etc.That kind of work is certainly around in the Texas panhandle area.

I know of lots of places that need help here in the Panhandle...some places are restricting store hours, or closing, because they can't find employees.

Do you have living quarters now? 

The smaller towns around here are really hurting for employees if you can relocate or bring your van or whatever you have...the problem is of course, the summer heat we have to look forward to for the next 2 months. Tell me what kind of dog you have, I might be able to temporarily foster a smaller dog for a few months here at my place in Tulia until you can make better arrangements.

I was skimming the help-wanted ads on Facebook for this area (Amarillo, Tulia, Plainview) and it is amazing how many jobs are going un-filled. Amazon is building a fulfillment center in Amarillo...but I dont think that will open until late this year or next year. WalMart DC in Plainview is always hiring. Azteca Milling also in Plainview is probably hiring. 

In fact Plainview is opening a Harbor Freight, they are opening an Arby's, Sutherlands just opened a new store, there is an ACE hardware, Gebos is probably hiring...I could go on and on....you might have to branch out a bit, get away from the larger city of Lubbock and go into the smaller towns where the pool of potential workers is fairly 'shallow'....good luck!

Let me add this FYI: You can camp in Lake Meredith (NE of Amarillo) for free for two weeks...Sanford Yake area (near Fritch) has water spigots and a free public shower house, and primitive campsites (with picnic tables) that are free. There is also a swimming area nearby (east side of the dam) 

It can get hot and windy at Sanford Yake but there are also some other protected 'coves' and tree-lined campsites down near the water. 

There are some businesses in nearby Fritch, Borger, and Dumas that might need workers. You never know!

I also sent you a PM along with my phone number to give you info on a quite likely sure thing. A job that allows you to work on your schedule from your own home.

I'm hoping you give a call regarding it. You do not have to call me as I did pm you the company website if you feel uncomfortable about that... You can navigate the website but I can provide you direct contact with the supervisor down there.

Hope you call .. it's pretty rare to find jobs that allow you to earn income when you want (more or less) and from the convenience of your chair wherever you have it.

Wish you the best!

Go to indeed.com and search based on zip code where you want to end up going. Leave the search field blank which will show you all the job postings. If you're doing the RV life full-time then stick to the more rural places so you don't have the deal with the BS of living in an RV in a bigger city with all the NIMBYs complaining. What I've noticed is that the rural areas actually pay just as good as the inner-city areas but my experience is more with California. I've also noticed there is a decent amount of jobs available too because people don't want to live in a "boring" place. Win-win lol Right now a lot of places seem to have labor shortages so if you need work, get it while its abundant.

Regarding the eye gnats, I actually had some kind of reaction to them and swelled up pretty good lookin like a prize fighter. The doc fixed me up with some antibiotic eye drops, said no damage to the eyes structures just my face. 
-crofter