Anyone diabetic ... what do you eat?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerD

Reaction score
I'm diabetic and really try to eat zero or low carb / sugar.

Most things that taste good have carbs / sugars (IMO) ... sucks!

Or if it is low/no carb it's often high fat, sodium, etc...  and not good for your heart. Which I also have to be concerned about.

When first diagnosed, my doctor said to eat chicken, fish, vegetables and drink water. Out of that, the only thing I like is chicken and of course not plain.

Also, all I have is a single burner stove and microwave.

Basically, all I eat these days is boiled/shredded chicken with wing sauce, egg salad with low card bread, hot dogs with a little sauerkraut/mustered. Now and then I eat tuna fish with some hot sauce. That is my entire diet which probably isn't ideal.

What do you eat?

I have hypoglycemia, which of course is not diabetes, but the cause is still insulin. I make way too much insulin in response to carbs, so I have to eat like a diabetic! I eat a very low carb, high fat, high protein diet. Fat is NOT our enemy (unless we have specific genetic issues with fat metabolism, quite rare.) I hate to cook for myself, though, so getting variety in the diet is difficult. Like you, I default to chicken. I also like "chili meat," which is hamburger with green chiles, onion, garlic salt, cumin, and red chili powder. This is very versatile. Before I became hypoglycemic I used to eat a lot of ramen with tons of veggies. Now I make veggie soup, omitting the ramen! For broth I use chicken broth and miso. If I have it, I throw in some tofu and/or chicken meat. You can also do a stir fry on a single burner. Chop up ginger, garlic, and whatever veggies you like, put some oil in the bottom of a pan, and stir fry your veggies till they're almost done, then throw in some chicken. Season with soy sauce. For breakfast I make bacon, eggs, or pancakes make from almond flour instead of regular flour. Lately I've been using Birch Benders pancake mix, which does have some cassava flour in it, but it doesn't seem to crank up my insulin. The thing I miss most is ice cream. I could definitely make no-carb ice cream but having the space to store an ice cream maker has discouraged the project so far...next summer I may just have to live on a mono-diet of ice cream in order to justify the space ;-)

The Dire Wolfess

I'm a Type 2 diabetic. But I have stomach issues from previous surgeries (adhesions) that really limit the amount I can eat at a time. So I get in my protein first and the rest of the food I pretty much eat what appeals to me. Meat doesn't sit too well, I often end up puking it up, so I eat a lot of yogurt, cheeses, whole grains and nuts. And one egg a day. I also watch the waistbands of my shorts (which I wear year round). If they start getting snug, I cut back on the carbs. What I pay attention to is my Hemoglobin A1C. As long as it's below 6, I'm happy. It's usually in the "nondiabetic" range, but then again, I'm on metformin.
Ted

I'm Type2 also. Most days I have two eggs for breakfast plus a small serving of flavored up cottage cheese. I eat a lot of baked skinless chicken breast and ground chuck when I need a change. I eat rutabagas , green beans, jicama, bean sprouts and small amount of sweet potatoes. I use olive oil for low heat cooking. When I go to the trouble of making mashed rutabaga I use ghee in it and low fat milk.
When I get tired of all that I get a beef thin crust pizza and enjoy myself. :) For a snack I eat low calorie, sugar free, parfait cups, no sugar added diced peaches, nuts, and the jicama sliced like a fried potato and some cinnamon and sugar free sweetener. A few other things but that is what I eat more of.

Been eating like that for ten months and my A1c is down from 7.4 to 5.7 as of the 14th of Nov. Cholesterol has also dropped. Exercise has helped with that but been on light duty recently.

I have Type II Diabetes and am controlling it without using medication. I find the two best aids to this (for me) are fiber and exercise. I try to walk several times a week and get lots of fruits, veggies, berries and seeds in my diet. Christmas is a bad time for falling off the wagon for me, though. I think I'll head out for a long walk in the morning...

I am a zero carb eater. Never diabetic but walking towards it and I went low carb. But low carb was useless in a way to me cause I never liked veggies so I dropped them totally.

When you eat zero carb....with NO carbs from grain/veg sources...you don't have to worry or be scared about red meats and extra fats. They won't cause problems for your heart. A zero carb menu will balance out your whole body in correct form. That is only when you tackle high protein and high fat content AND eat carbs and junk. Together, that combo causes troubles. But if you adopt a true zero carb lifestyle and stay, say below 10 total carbs per day, then that protein and fat works for you to make your heart healthier. Every part of your body. Stabilizes blood sugar point blank into the good zone. Stops inflammation in the body, etc.

I eat eggs, cheeses, bacon, sausage, deli meats if needed for fast grab, all meats (chicken, pork, beef, deer etc) and for seafood I love crab legs, shrimp, scallops and tuna and sardines. Sip all broths when wanted instead of tea now :)

been zero carb eater for like 5 years now and my energy is thru the roof wonderful. Lost about 60 lbs. Never am hungry like I was on carbs. My meat/seafood fill me up wonderful and I am thriving like I never was when I ate a ton of crap :)

Just my experience. But if one reads about a true zero carb way of eating, you find real science about how our bodies only require protein and fat to survive. Not one carb is ever needed in our life to live. So.....I went this route cause I am a meat hound. Any 'lc diet' didn't suit me....going full carnivore is what suited me....so that is why I went this way and love it. I found happiness in my eating that I never found before trying to 'diet' into better heatlh. Now I just eat meats/seafood/some dairy and I am doing just wonderful. I never 'fall off the wagon' on this way of eating because I love it. The meathound in me is truly satisfied, I am in deep ketosis and hunger is abated and for me this is an all around, all inclusive and simple way to eat. (again, this is what suits me, everyone's mileage will vary so much on how they want to eat thru life)

So that is how I roll. Just throwing that out there on what helped me. you can google zero carb and you will find a lot of cons on it of course, but if one searches for the truth of this way of eating, you find great science and great info behind it. best of luck to you!

Google glycemic load and learn to use it (not glycemic index, that’s not accurate for you). Lots of sites can help with this. Like every day health. Thing is about eating servings of foods with a glycemic load under 20 to keep your blood sugar stable. Also you don’t appear to eat veggies... gotta do it, but eat the low glycemic load ones only, that goes for fruit too. Get your five handfuls of those kind of fruits/veggies in everyday. And I hate to say it, but you gotta get aerobic exercise at least every other day for 40-60”... just walking without working up a sweat don’t cut it. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk