fatty foods can help you lose weight?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Reaction score
fatty foods can help you lose weight

"Eat Fat, Lose Weight: The Anti-Hunger Diet
They have to be healthy sources of fat (think: olive oil and avocados, not Reese’s and Doritos).
Foods rich in fat will help you feel satiated, and they won’t trigger the insulin high and crash that most processed carbs do.
Without insulin highs and lows, your blood sugar will be more stable and your body can access the fuel it’s storing in your fat cells."

I love avocados & olive oil.
I wouldnt be concerned with weight.  It's the % of Body Fat which is more important.
[img=484x484]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d2/d5/7b/d2d57bf3ad7937a1d657918d9e2897b9.jpg[/img]

Hi Silver,

I track my % fat and lean weight also. I try and eat a fat based diet and when I keep the carbs below 50 g, body fat just burns off me. I am about 16% but want to be under 15% which is not bad for men in my age group. What is really weird for me is that I used to suffer from super high cholesterol and triglycerides, and blood pressure and had to take medications for it. I do not anymore. That is cool.

I'm following a Ketogenic diet (LOW carbs, medium proteins, and high-ish fats). I think it's GREAT and have lost 24 lbs, all food cravings, and all mood/energy swings. Eat 6-9 cups of FRESH veggies every day. Have learned to forage weeds too. :D Amazing how many edible, super healthy, plants are all around us!

rina said:
Have learned to forage weeds too. :D Amazing how many edible, super healthy, plants are all around us!

How did you learn which ones to chose?

For someone who is just in the early planning stages, I'm really curious how you manage a ketogenic lifestyle with less refrigerator/freezer space. It's one of my bigger "to figure out" categories... Thanks in advance.

I love the low carb higher fat/protein diets, they work very well on me. Higher fat foods do really help you lose weight/lose hunger cravings. In the OPs original post however, I have to strongly disagree with several of the items posted, which are pure sugar/carbs, not fat, such as the orange juice, that is straight up massive sugar/carb overload, the potatoes are straight up pure carbs that get turned right into sugars in your body. Berries and carrots in moderation as they have a lot of sugar and only very small amounts (couple of squares )of the dark chocolate. With the coconut water some brands have added sugar, look on the list of ingredients, you want only coconut water.

KetoKyz said:
For someone who is just in the early planning stages, I'm really curious how you manage a ketogenic lifestyle with less refrigerator/freezer space. It's one of my bigger "to figure out" categories... Thanks in advance.

I’m a **** carnivore and do just fine with a 1 cu ft fridge.  

Eggs don’t need refrigeration.
I can get a couple of weeks worth of meat and cheese in the fridge, but I am not a huge eater.  

For those who eat veggies, most don’t require full refrigeration, just a cooler to maintain the temp.

SondraRose said:

Eggs don’t need refrigeration.
I can get a couple of weeks worth of meat and cheese in the fridge, but I am not a huge eater.  

For those who eat veggies, most don’t require full refrigeration, just a cooler to maintain the temp.
To add to this, if you take the meat out of the grocery store packaging, cut it into meal sized pieces and ziplock/freeze it you can easily get a months worth of meat into a typical cooler sized unit. There is no good solution to fresh veggies and fruits, you really need access to a nice market weekly to have decent stuff. A couple of items like apples store for a while, but for most fruits/veggies if you are going to be boondocking away for a while frozen is the only choice.

SondraRose said:

Good to know. I try to keep my fats up high and my carbs below 20 (net). I don't eat a lot of veggies (no fruits at this time) so I do need to research what needs refrigeration and what doesn't. I eat a lot of eggs so it sounds like I can save that space.

KetoKyz said:
Good to know. I try to keep my fats up high and my carbs below 20 (net). I don't eat a lot of veggies (no fruits at this time) so I do need to research what needs refrigeration and what doesn't. I eat a lot of eggs so it sounds like I can save that space.

Cool.  Check out www.ketogenicforums for more support, especially the Zero Carb/Carnivore category. It’s a fallacy that we NEED to eat veggies. Micronutrients are much more bio-available from animal sources.

One caveat: if your eggs are store-bought, they may have been overly washed, unlike the free-range farmers market ones we buy.  Not sure how long they will be OK unrefrigerated.

Are you folks actually monitoring the presence of ketones in your blood? Lingering on the edge of ketosis and being in ketosis are not the same.

For people thinking they can start eating bacon and expect weight loss we should clarify that the only thing that actually helps you lose weight is caloric deficit. Moving your body will help you lose weight more than eating fatty foods.

Carnivorous diets as a human? Gross, but if it floats someone's boat then we should encourage the consumption of all animal parts for the full benefit, Organ meats, marrow, bone broth and muscle tissue. Muscle meats are great for protein and fat but per calorie are seriously lacking other nutrients. There are some weak studies suggesting you don't need vitamin C if you're on this diet, but it's too easy to take a supplement just to make sure.

After making the rounds through just about every diet for personal experimentation under the guidance of my friend with a PHD in nutrition, I've come to this conclusion. Any "diet" that limits whole foods or entire food groups should be approached with extreme caution. There is no magic weight loss diet and you risk seriously hurting yourself or at least feeling like crap if you get it wrong. Find a basal metabolic rate calculator online, find out the amount of calories your body burns at rest, then either increase activity and maintain current caloric intake or maintain current level of activity and decrease caloric intake. The psychology of eating and happiness plays a pretty big role in your overall well being. If you enjoy a baked potato but you cut it then what is living? If you like fruits and grains but you cut them all out then chances are you're only going to be on this diet for a short time and you'll end up right back where you started. I like pizza, so one night I eat it and love it. The next day I run/lift to burn it off. I'm happy twice. Once from carb overload and again from the carb fueled exercise leading to a nice flow of endorphins. Not to mention how much easier life becomes when you're strong and fit.

But definitely give it a try. I learned so much about myself and food when I cycled through the different plans. Going back to point 1. If you really want the benefit of a ketogenic diet then you should get a kit and monitor for ketones. Ketosis is the main point to eating a ketogenic diet so you need to tinker with things to get there and stay there.

I do have a meter and check glucose and ketones occasionally. I'm not T2D, but I do have a medical reason (and my doctors approval) for this WOE. I have never felt better in my life, and my bloodwork is continually improving.

KetoKyz said:
I do have a meter and check glucose and ketones occasionally. I'm not T2D, but I do have a medical reason (and my doctors approval) for this WOE. I have never felt better in my life, and my bloodwork is continually improving.

So glad you are having a good experience!  And glad your doc is on board; so many know nothing about nutrition.

I’ve been doing this for over 5 years and it is so easy.  Truly not necessary to chase ketones unless medically required (for epilepsy, for example); as long as your carbs are low enough (and below 20 net carbs works for almost everyone) and your fats high enough, you will be in at least mild ketosis.  

In any case, the whole point of **** for most people who want to lose body fat (back to the OP’s post) is to lower their insulin levels.  If your basal insulin level is too high, you can’t lose body fat, no matter how much you exercise.    

As a menopausal woman with my particular genetics, I am highly insulin resistant.  By eating this way, I keep my insulin levels low while eating to satiety and effortlessly lost the 20 pounds I had gained since high school.

Itripper said:
To add to this, if you take the meat out of the grocery store packaging, cut it into meal sized pieces and ziplock/freeze it you can easily get a months worth of meat into a typical cooler sized unit. There is no good solution to fresh veggies and fruits, you really need access to a nice market weekly to have decent stuff. A couple of items like apples store for a while, but for most fruits/veggies if you are going to be boondocking away for a while frozen is the only choice.

I'm mostly a **** Carnivore also. Thanks for the info! I've been wondering how to maintain my carnivorous diet while on the roam!

It's too bad that so many negative things have been written about fat being "bad" over the past few decades. We've found fat to be a great source of stable energy while on the road and find that I don't get hungry when I've had it for breakfast. Mixing it with some intermittent fasting / **** is also great and I like to add in some quality organic bone broth powder for an added boost.

Coconut oil is also a great addition for cooking as it has a high smoke point and (for me) seems to give me an immune system boost!

I've been on a strict cryogenic diet for over a year and lost 45 pounds total without really trying. I also do strict intermittent fasting 2 meals a day spaced close together. (Check out Dr Eric berg on youtube). I eat a lot of nuts, seeds and low carb peanut butter since they require no refrigeration. Also lots of salad. Kale can go weeks without going bad. Olives, pickles, pickled asparagus, avocado, saurkraute, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, flax oil, grass fed beef, eggs, cheese etc. Lots of foods that don't require refrigeration.

Everyone who eats unhealthy will pay through bad health and doctor bills so why not eat healthy and avoid all that. I see obese people everywhere and obesity equals unhealthy so I encourage everyone to try ****. I'm healthier and more physically fit than ever and feel amazing on ****. This diet is especially appealing to nomads for the health and medical benefits and being able to eat only 2 meals a day while traveling and still feel great.