Anybody teaching ESL online?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karla

Reaction score
Is anybody teaching ESL on the road in the US?  If so, how do you get a consistently strong enough internet signal?

Hi Karla. There is a whole subform on communications I recommend checking out. There are a lot of yutub (intentionally misspelled) and digital nomad people out there that rely on being connected. A good nationwide carrier with a good cell booster arrangement should keep you connected.

https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14

Most of the universities and colleges in the USA offer free, online ESL courses. If you are on the road just stop into the counseling department at most any community college and they will help you get setup with something that meets your educational needs. There is no fee for such counseling even if you don't plan on attending that college.

How much do you have to know about English to teach online? I know what a noun is, but not what a participle is. What's the difference between a verb and an adverb? No freaking clue. I'm sure I could find that all out, but just wondering if it's conversational skills you teach or if it's more in depth. Thanks!

I dont, but used to teach it in the classroom. I know several people who teach little kids in China online. You need to be high energy and not afraid to be silly. The most popular method is called "Total Physical Response". I quit years ago  when the school I worked for in Taiwan demanded that I teach the pronunciation of the word "orange" as "oh-ran-jee". I have a masters degree in TESOL after all, dammit!  :p

Wabbit said:
How much do you have to know about English to teach online? I know what a noun is, but not what a participle is. What's the difference between a verb and an adverb? No freaking clue. I'm sure I could find that all out, but just wondering if it's conversational skills you teach or if it's more in depth. Thanks!

There are free online courses to help refresh your basic grammar skills. The easy way to hook into these things is head to any public library and ask their research librarian to hook you up with a free online grammar course. Libraries have a vested interest in teaching literacy so they have a lot of free resources they can share with the public. You can also hook into free ESL courses at libraries be it trying to learn English or trying to teach it. Many libraries have volunteers who tutor ESL students. You will have made the research librarians day a happy one to have helped someone with this subject.