Another Walmart RV Shooting, Salem Oregon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to put the icing on the cake, it wasn't even a quote-unquote "real RV", it was a home converted Skoolie.  Police responded to a report of a "suspicious vehicle".  Sigh.

Regards
John

akrvbob said:
It doesn't say anyone was over-nighting, it may or may not have anything to do with us.
Bob

Unfortunately, one article I read on it said he had been staying in the parking lot for several days.

It doesn't worry me, I think Walmart make an educated decision around letting people park in their carparks, they don't do it because they are kind, they do it because they think they are making money. That won't change just because someone gets shot in their parking lot.

This is concerning.  People who think and live independently are being increasingly targeted as suspicious and potentially dangerous.  If enough events happen, the government could whip up public opinion and potentially pressure Walmart to discontinue their policy to allow overnight camping "for public safety."  

However, since these events involve shootings, I think the more likely cause is the inexorable campaign to disarm the American public.  How hard would it be to find people willing to create incidents at a Walmart in exchange for money or other benefits?  

I sincerely hope that these are just random events and not part of some bigger picture.

RobBob

gsfish said:
Getting shot and thrown into prison doesn't seem like much of a "benefit".

Guy

If people are unethical enough to entice gullible folks to stage incidents, how could they be trusted to protect those patsies when push comes to shove?  A patsy who has been killed or locked up by police can't tell tales.  I'm not saying that's what happened, but it is feasible.

RobBob

You need to think like these people to understand what they are going through. One problem of the economy is that people don't care any more. Have you ever heard the term " three hots and a cot" ? Why worry about going to jail when the prisoners have better food, comfort, and medical than you can get on the street? I even know people that figure prison is a better retirement than they can get on the streets and keep that in mind as a backup plan. Education and opportunities are what this country needs.

Education we have. More people flipping burgers have degrees today than ever in our history. We need opportunities.

I've written a letter to corporate Walmart, letting them know how much I appreciate their hospitality and service. I know other's have done the same.

702 SW 8th St.
Bentonville, AR, 72716-8611.

Snail mail is always better than email

Marie said:
Ohh!!! I LOVE a good conspiracy theory!!!

Conspiracy theories do make for good TV drama don't they?

OTOH, I'm not sure how a religious family in AZ and either a somewhat dodgy looking school bus or a 'Sanford & Sons' guy in OR can be combined into a vast conspiracy plot based on the fact that they both had police encounters in WalMart parking lots. Certainly doesn't look promising for a full 13 week season... :dodgy:

WalMart now has over 4,000 stores plus over 600 Sam's Club parking lots all over the US. To forecast doom and destruction of our overnighting privileges nationwide based on these 2 incidences is IMO pushing it a bit.

What it does is make me more cautious about which W/M I'll use for an overnighter.

RobBob said:

However, since these events involve shootings, I think the more likely cause is the inexorable campaign to disarm the American public.   

I feel this would be a step in the right direction, first we disarm the public then we disarm law enforcement. Fear is the cheapest room in the house, everyone deserves better accommodations.

Marie said:
Ohh!!! I LOVE a good conspiracy theory!!!

Weaponized grammar...lol. I think that keeping an open mind is basically a good thing. Even though some possibilities are more of an improbability than a possibility, that doesn't make them an impossibility. :cool:

First there was no Walmart parking, then there was, then there was no Walmart parking we haven't really lost anything.