Weize LiFePo --- Thoughts?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izifaddag

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M8YWC6...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I just saw this on Amazon and although the price is attractive I am not sold on this battery.

Last year in June I bought my first lithium. I was put onto it by this forum. I got a Mighty Max at $675 from Amazon.
I was happy enough but then I got out on the road and realized that I had only tickled the battery problem and was going to have to beef up storage considerably. So I researched and weighed up the choices diligently. I decided to go mad and spend $900 on a single Battleborn - ouch.

Why?

It was because although MM was $225 cheaper they have no bricks and mortar presence. I wish I had known that before I purchased in June and was mesmerized by price alone. It was a mistake.
If you go to the Mighty Max website their address is nowhere to be seen. There is one of those internal email systems to contact and nothing more. After searching the internet I found their location. It is a small office above a bank (Alma Bank) on the water at the southern tip of Brooklyn. I wrote them at one point and naturally I was ignored.
I found a couple of horror stories about them too. As in take your defective battery to O'Reilly's to have it tested and pay the shipping back to us.
Thank goodness mine has held up ok.
This is why I decided to spend the extra money and buy a Battleborn. I happily found out those folks are all over the customer service angle. It was a pleasure dealing with them.
I will not be buying another Mighty Max or recommend them. With a purchase this expensive I don't do drop ship.
Now I see this new kid on the block - Weize.
CHEAP. 100ah = $600 delivered.
So I did some research. No website and zero information via Google. Just 'you can buy it on Amazon'. It also looks exactly like the Mighty Max with a different label. No website, no address, no phone number, zero way to contact them and nothing about warranty etc.  
Not good enough for me. 
So my 3rd battery will be another Battleborn. I will just take a deep breath and buy it in the knowledge that there is someone there and an office I can visit if I must. The CEO and the COO can be seen in many videos with prominent YouTube RVers. They are not shy about showing their faces, their factory and talking to you on the phone or via email. 
It seems to be a bit of a minefield out there with some of the stuff we need.
Solar panels are another item that needs care. I give a 100% thumbs up for Santan. GREAT people to deal with.  
What do you think??

I agree about SanTan. I would recommend them.

about the Lithium batteries I have no idea, to rich for me.

highdesertranger

I like the prismatic cell form batteries, I'd almost bought this one from Amazon, 120AH
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F7F64J...olid=1ODC36DNV3D23&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
But ended up getting a 176AH from Aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000108409254.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4a584c4d6J7iYb

Unlike the battery you posted, they need an external BMS, my understanding is those have it built in.
The Amazon one I linked, the seller seemed pretty responsive, answered questions on Amazon and Ebay pretty quick.
What I ended up with was 50AH more for about the same price, if I'd been willing to wait I could have gotten same capacity cheaper, or higher capacity.

That Amazon prismatic cell pack looks like a legit build. The red thing on the side is the Daly BMS which is used by a lot of DIYers. That 120AH would probably cost half to two thirds if you build it from alibaba parts (which is what Lynx is definitely doing). Buying a tested and top-balanced pack from an experienced builder is not a bad idea and that is a fair price in my book. (I don't have any affiliation, but am waiting on my parts from alibaba to build my new batteries).

I've watched this fellow's Youtube video where he investigates a source of used Lithium Iron Phosphate
batteries.   These are used in Hospital equipment and pulled long before they depleted for safety reasons.
I think the Hospitals have contractors who  tend to replacing & servicing the equipment so they aren't available to the general public. Thus they wind up at places like eBay.

maxresdefault.jpg

But see what you think:

Hospital Equipment Lithium Batteries

There is a detailed analysis of lead acid vs. lithium batteries used in off grid systems on YouTube. I found it very informative.

Lynac batteries out of Thunder Bay Ontario!

Great pricing, great batteries with low temp cut off and your 100Ah is actually a 120Ah, deal directly with owner, very responsive to emails, and they donated a battery to that Forestyforest guy on YouTube.

I totally agree that customer service is everything when you purchase something like this. Connor at Lynac seems like a good dude and had patience to go back and forth with me for a week troubleshooting a battery that I had hooked up wrong.

Matt

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

The problem with the hospital batteries is that word got around, demand went up, and prices rose a lot. Plus, they're never in stock even at the new, high prices. Or at least this was the case a few months back, when I finally gave up on them entirely and quit checking.

These guys have the best LiFePO4 deals I know of currently. 10% off codes can be found on You Tube vids reviewing their products, but I can't recall exactly where.

BigBattery

I've personally had no dealings with them. They haven't been around for a terribly long time, but seem to have at least a decent reputation so far from what I've seen. More than once, I've been tempted by their 12-volt 170 amp-hour product. With 10% off, I know of nothing else that even comes close outside of a few one-time-only extra-spectacular Black Friday sales.