Another dog with problems...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steamjam1, thanks for posting about what works for you. I have not done clicker training but have been working with my dog on some of her fears. Last night a bunch of storms rolled in sooner than I was expecting so I didn't give her the xanax in time. She was better (although she still jumped into my dish rack with clean dishes and knocked them all to the floor) and only caused minor destruction. I spent the whole night praising her when she was not being destructive but I wonder now if maybe a clicker would be more effective and I may read up on that method. Spring storm season is soon to be here so we will have lots of opportunities. My dog is similarly not into food at least during the storms but perhaps an association with the clicker can help. I need to get this solved before moving into van.

slynne said:
steamjam1, thanks for posting about what works for you. I have not done clicker training but have been working with my dog on some of her fears. Last night a bunch of storms rolled in sooner than I was expecting so I didn't give her the xanax in time. She was better (although she still jumped into my dish rack with clean dishes and knocked them all to the floor) and only caused minor destruction. I spent the whole night praising her when she was not being destructive  but I wonder now if maybe a clicker would be more effective and I may read up on that method. Spring storm season is soon to be here so we will have lots of opportunities. My dog is similarly not into food at least during the storms but perhaps an association with the clicker can help. I need to get this solved before moving into van.

Dogs are like people. No two are the same, and each one has a distinct personality. Clicker training (To me atleast) is like doggie basic training. Its positive feedback and reinforcements for desirable behavior. All you need is a $9 clicker, and doggie treats. Every time you give your buddy a treat, click the clicker to associate the click sound with what you define as positive behavior. I just wish Zajka was into doggie treats. Salami will get expensive after a while.. ::) Zia will eat just about anything.

There are literally hundreds of Youtube videos showing how to properly use a clicker. Its not to difficult. Just remember it takes time. When I first got Zia, she was almost as nervous and fearful as Zajka is now. Ontop of all that Zia was also aggressive, often times tried to nip, or bite. (NOT GOOD). It took a better part of a year to condition her behavior to be more friendly, and calm.

DuneElliot said:
As someone else mentioned, Border Collies and their mixes do worse than almost any other dog in shelters...and what you are seeing is the result, not to mention what MAY have come before.

My male BC is super affectionate, but he is still very submissive to people and we all often joke that he could be the poster-child for the ASPCA even though he's never been abused...and then he's a totally different dog around cattle or livestock, or a ball!

Gorgeous dogs BTW...I'm a sucker for the herding dogs, with two of my own...they are not a "beginner" dog by any mean. Hope she slowly calms down and settles in to live with you; having another, calmer dog will help once they build a rapport with each other.

Thanks. I've had border collies my entire adult life. They are certainly not a "beginner" dog. Man I'll tell you, I thought Zia was fast... Zajka is faster. If Zia can be compared to a well tuned Formula 1 car, then Zajka is a Top Fuel dragster Funny car.

steamjam1 said:
Thanks. I've had border collies my entire adult life. They are certainly not a "beginner" dog. Man I'll tell you, I thought Zia was fast... Zajka is faster. If Zia can be compared to a well tuned Formula 1 car, then Zajka is a Top Fuel dragster Funny car.

They certainly are fast...I've had so many people tell me how fast their dog is...then we test them against mine...no competition!!! I've never see another dog outrun Cody. Kye can spin on a dime faster since she is more compact; he is long and lean. Of course I've never pitted them against running-bred breeds like the Saluki, Borzoi or Greyhound and I'm sure they'd lose over a short distance, but they have much higher endurances.

DuneElliot said:
They certainly are fast...I've had so many people tell me how fast their dog is...then we test them against mine...no competition!!! I've never see another dog outrun Cody. Kye can spin on a dime faster since she is more compact; he is long and lean. Of course I've never pitted them against running-bred breeds like the Saluki, Borzoi or Greyhound and I'm sure they'd lose over a short distance, but they have much higher endurances.

My Lacy dog , nicknamed Piglet, has put on about 20 # since I got her, clearly she needs more exercise!  She's still fast, but she was a LOT faster when I first got her.  She would the neighborhood champion runner!  :)

Get some tennis balls and a longer Chuck-It. My Belgian loved it, and the Chuck-It lobs it further than I can. It's a great way to exercise working dogs. Like they say about Border Collies: You either keep them busy and give them jobs to do, or they will find some games for themselves, and YOU WON'T LIKE THOSE GAMES.

I had a Dalmatian , bred for speed and stamina.
There was nothing I could do to wear that dog out!
UNTIL I clipped her leash on and got on my bike and rode 8 miles to the next town letting her tow me once in a while.........
She got tired at the 3 mile mark , ON THE WAY BACK!!!!!

Latest posts