America the beautiful pass questions...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbit

Reaction score
Link here....
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

So how useful is this pass? We are currently traveling in 2 vehicles. So I would need a pass for each vehicle. Didn't see any exceptions for towing a vehicle, are there? If you own a pass, can you tell me how "useful" it is? We live on a budget so $160 for 2 passes is kinda a chunk of change for us. I could stop drinking for a month or 2, but that's ridiculous! :cool: Although, I would if they were that great.... Thnx!

I'm not sure about towing but am guessing it counts as one vehicle. 

The pass is good for US Fish & Wildlife Service, Forest Service, US Army Corp of Engineers, BLM, NPS, and Bureau of Reclamation. 

I find mine very useful. Love bringing my grand daughter with me to the national parks.

I often see people towing campers staying on BLM land using their passes come in the park for a dump and fill, empty trash in the dumpster, enjoy a day on the beach, do laundry and take a shower for free only having to feed the washer and dryer at the laundry mat. That evening they drive 15 or 25 miles the opposite direction they came from for 14 more days on BLM land. Pass pays for itself pretty quick doing this.

Only the tow vehicle counts but if you're driving 2 motor vehicles in to any of the places where the pass applies, yes, you would need two passes. 

Each pass is good for the pass owner and up to 3 additional adults.

Make sure you ask for the hang tag thingie to go with your pass. In some places the fees are per person, in others just for vehicle parking so you'll need that hang tag to put your pass in on your rear view mirror.

If you're ever going to think of taking a motorcycle in, get the sticker for on it while you're at it.

The website shows that the date is still undetermined for when senior passes will go from $10.00 lifetime to $80.00 so if you qualify for the senior pass get it as soon as possible. It's well worth the $10.00 cause it's for your lifetime.

If one person you regularly travel with is disable, get them the pass because then you can go in with them as an additional adult.

If you're not old enough or disabled, then you join me as a Canadian in paying the full $80.00 per year fee...sigh!

Mine has paid for itself since I got it last fall and yes, I'll probably get another one next fall when I migrate south again.

I got my free lifetime pass when I became disabled 4 years ago. And have yet to use it, kind of a shame really! However, I think this is the year i'll be able to put it to good use.

Lots of states have free or discounted passes/admission/reduced rate camping in their state parks if you're disabled or a veteran as well. Just have to look up the info for each state you're in as you go.

Before you buy a pass do a little research to see if it will save you money. For instance a 7 day pass to the Grand Canyon is $30.00, 7 day passes to many of the other parks in Arizona are $20.00 so a pass will pay for itself quickly if you use it a lot. But if you're not traveling much you won't get the full benefit of a pass. Here's a map with all of the National Parks, Recreation Areas and Historic Sites.  https://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm

National Forests and BLM lands do not have as many day use fee areas but the pass is still useful for the ones that do charge.

The pass is really good if you are at least 62 or are disabled. You will get a 50% discount on camping fees on top of the free entry.

If you do go to a National Park and pay a fee keep the receipt because the fees are credited to the cost of the yearly pass if you do latter buy one, or at least that was what I was told by the fee booth person.

If you buy it the first of the month, it's good for 13 months.