Am I the only one?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catalekid

Reaction score
No, I am not wanted by any law enforcement agency for any reason.  My chld support has long since been paid, I do not owe a bunch of bills, etc, etc, etc.

However, I want to disappear.

Am I the only want who wants to live without ties?

The hard part is getting rid of your past. If you have ever been to a doctor or dentist most likely there are records. Ever go to school, there are records. Ever have a job, most likely there are records. Government can do a pretty good job of hiding you but you would have to be a very high priority and even then they get breaches which is a good thing but someone some where will know, the question is how does one contact them and will they share. The Air Force has in the past had certain career fields that basically don’t exist. They were volunteer only fields that most were for extended periods of time. If you had a family at the end of your training usually two years you would sign a card type written that said you were well and alive. No further contact would occur. I always thought it was funny that there were married soldiers that volunteered! Never heard from again unless family members attempting to find them approached the right people and then they were told the Air Force never heard of the person. Should a volunteer decided after a period of time they wanted to return to society I was told they under went treatments that would allow them to remember possibly they had maybe been in the Armed Services but would have no records and therefore no benefits. Used to see newspaper articles of family looking for someone that had gone into the Air Force and volunteered for career field 991 never to be found. After being offered a volunteer position I got a better offer I thought which allowed me to keep my memories but included years of looking over my shoulder. Probably would have been better off taking the offer!

What kind of ties do you want to cut? Family, friends? Not hard to do.

From government? A lot harder if not impossible.

If you collect SS or a pension, every time you access money, there's a trail.

And no, you're not the only one.

There are books and online guides on how to do it.

BTW: If you read material on the tricks that bounty hunters use to find people, it will tell you a lot about what not to do.

Nah, there are a multiple millions of introverts in the worl who want to dissapear. Of course that does come along with tbe attitude of thinking you are the only one since you wish to void connections to others so therefore have no idea that your feelings are within the normal human spectrum.

But if you want to dissapear you need to avoid social media.

That left me thinking, I wonder if there's a Facebook group you can join about how not to be tracked on the internet.

LOL

Disappearing is sort of like stealth camping, you aren’t ever completely invisible to anyone who knows what to look for. Although someone reported a person falling off a ledge the other day and when they went to recover the body they found some older human remains, so yeah there might be a way!

catalekid said:
Am I the only want who wants to live without ties?
No, but you're probably born 150 years too late. Probably the most practical thing to do right now is buy a small piece of land in woods with a creek, build a cabin, power it via solar, and raise a garden. Buy a rifle and shoot a deer or two every year. Put up a gate, and a sign saying "Trespassers will ____" (fill in the blanks). In this day and age, you can't cut "all" the ties, but you can limit them.

For an RV guy,  jamie is part way there, but I'm sure you can find a zillion youtubes from back to nature types.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_W_E5SFCxwpSOaqMjOOBTg/videos

Catalekid - you are preaching to the choir. Yay and amen. Really if we wanted to totally disappear and be introverts we wouldn’t be on here sharing with each other Wood we. I love people and talk to people be with people for a while then I got to get alone for a while. Sort of like charging my batteries. You do know that every time you enter a new area of a cell tower it tracks you. Everything is a compromise convenience versus freedom. I know a whole lot of people that are complaining about where they are and no one’s interested in going back in them up either. That’s right in the cemetery. And even they have a record book and write your name in stone.

Qxxx said:
No, but you're probably born 150 years too late. Probably the most practical thing to do right now is buy a small piece of land in woods with a creek, build a cabin, power it via solar, and raise a garden. Buy a rifle and shoot a deer or two every year. Put up a gate, and a sign saying "Trespassers will ____" (fill in the blanks). In this day and age, you can't cut "all" the ties, but you can limit them.

For an RV guy,  jamie is part way there, but I'm sure you can find a zillion youtubes from back to nature types.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_W_E5SFCxwpSOaqMjOOBTg/videos
I think Jamie would be surprised that you think he is trying to drop out of sight as nothing is further from the truth.

Katale, if you REALLY want to disappear, it's not that hard. Kids under 21 get fake ID's all the time.
Now, if you want to have a car too AND drive it, and a credit card for gas, it gets complicated....
Really introverted people avoid social media, such as this site here.

GypsyJan said:
"Trespassers will ____"

....BE VIOLATED!
yikes! Nuff said! Short sweet signs to the point are good.
yes, we like our space, our solitude... But there is nothing like finding a small group of like minded people... people in numbers can be good and can be bad. Just gotta pick wisely when coming out of seclusion... haha! Government is gonna find you when they want you. I’m not worried... I like the fake I’d thing. My new name... hmmm, I hear Bob Wells is taken. Haha!

As I get closer to retirement I feel an oncoming sense of freedom. Like you, I hope to fall of the grid and not have to deal with people. I hoped to drive across this great nation.......totally free from the daily confines and daily "must do" list. As I read the posts about over crowded camp grounds, police harassment, covid 19, dirty BLM lands, and it appears that everyone else is hitting the roads too. Just seems like we can never escape the world......but only in our minds can this be done.

22 years ago I disappeared for five months. I didn't set out to, I wasn't trying to, it's just how it happened. The only thing that my family knew was that I had gone to Belize. And I never made it that far. The state dept knew I had a passport. Nothing else. Mexico knew that I entered at Matamoros, and possibly that I passed into the interior. I found a place to camp on the beach, paid in cash, I rode busses, lived and hung out with the locals, and blended in. Despite the fact that there was a military installation a mile up the beach, I flew under the radar by simply living a simple life.

I followed the laws and customs, and my friends and neighbors liked me. And they had no way to know my legal status.

I imagine it would not be so simple today, but I'm sure it could still be done.

Edit. I also maintained a legal presence in Massachusetts. So the powers that be thought I was physically still in the US.

So you want to disappear ?   On the internet,  get a proxy server or get behind one when you go on the internet.  Here's two virtual ones to consider Tunnelbear com's free service, or download and use the Opera Browser which has one built in. (and some other interesting features)

Otherwise there is a whole genre of books on the subject of physical real world ghosting.

Loompanics Unlimited, was an anarchist book store, (back before they went out of business in the early 2000's) and they sold this one.  

"How to Disappear Completely and Never be Found" by Doug Richmond

eDJ_ said:
"How to Disappear Completely and Never be Found" by Doug Richmond

I liked the tip in that one about leaving your wallet with all your "old" ID's, credit cards,etc. on the Golden Gate bridge walkway.

Yeah,  you're only limited by your imagination and creativity.   But an accelerator for that is finding some book stores that carry offbeat books.  I mentioned Loompanics, (now out of business) but there are sites with archives of many of their popular books on the internet. (which can be read online)

I was just reading thru "Bullshit Jobs" by David Graeber.   Not the kind of book you find in a typical book store.  To me part of being mobile is to avoid these types of work situations.  I could stay home for that.   I only want to stop for the best if I'm living on the road.   But to do that you have to know how to evaluate a job.

I have heard that over 50% of missing adults are people who just wanted to disappear.

You can still join the French Foreign Legion (if you aren’t too old and in good shape) where you will be given a new name for a year you can choose to keep and after 5 years a French passport which will allow you to freely wander the EU many African countries and Pacific islands. That’s close to disappearing legally. You can get a new identity in the US (you can do the research) but it won’t hold up under close scrutiny. I wanted to start a new life many times but I actually live where I grew up and many people know me. LOL I have lived in a couple of corrupt third world countries where it was like disappearing and it wasn’t much fun for me.

Latest posts