a tipping point?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IanC

Reaction score
A friend (actually I'd say former friend ) managed to get himself on disability through a mental diagnosis quite a few years ago. He is a former heroin addict and they used to hand out dissability classifications like candy to  addicts back in the day. He has been clean for 15 or so years now but still collects his check - while working part time under the table. Once you're classified as disabled, the skies open up and every other benefit is available, so he was able to buy a house and a program for disabled homeowners did all the insulation and replaced doors and windows. He also gets fuel assistance, EBT, free medical. Last year he did the 80,000 dollar treatment for hepatitis.

This same guy owns a Harley, a class C motorhome and spent the winter in Florida. He has a girlfriend also on disability, so they do quite well -not wealthy , but the combined total of all the benefits puts them ahead of the average working Joe.

Now , I live in a low income area where many people live on government checks. Next door to me is what used to be a senior housing complex - very quiet and great neighbors . Since it became open to people on disability it has become a party town. Lots of the residents spend the day at the neighborhood bar, and of course the drugs and guns have arrived along with them. Visually they look quite capable. My neighbor on the other side , whose entire family has gotten themselves eligible for one government check or another, told me before he went in for a back surgery that he hoped it made him disabled enough to collect .

So , whether legit or not, I wonder if there is a point at which the number of people who , for whatever reason, claim not to be able to function becomes unsustainable. Apart from the cost, dollar wise, there is also plenty of evidence as to what happens to areas where large numbers of young men are idle. One glaring example is the drug epidemic on Reservations, and inner city violence. Another example is the sprawling Moroccan and Algerian ghettoes of Paris, where it is so dangerous for non residents that even the police are hesitant to enter, and God knows what other mayhem is being hatched.

And , it seems to be young men, mostly , who have abandoned pride in their ability in favor of proving disability. Young women seem to be the ones holding down 2 jobs and doing what they can.

The political power of dependency has been known since the days of Ancient Rome where bread and circus kept the idle passive and supporting the emperors who provided it. But Rome is also the  textbook example of the fall of a great civilization.

Personally, I have little stake in the matter since my immediate goal is to remove myself from it all, retire and never pay another tax other than sales , vehicle reg, fishing license etc. However , I have to wonder at what point so much will be needed to sustain everyone on permanent vacation that they will have no choice other than to bring every working person's tax rate to 50%. Actually , if you add up federal , state, property , sin taxes , sales, utility tax, permits, etc.  it's probably close to that now.

I know people have been predicting collapses forever, but surely this can't go on forever without something very bad being in the cards.

I'd like to say read Atlas Shrugged, but it's a horrible read... ;)

BradKW said:
I'd like to say read Atlas Shrugged, but it's a horrible read...  ;)

Interesting observation - what was so horrible about it, other than it's long!

Folks, this sounds like politics.  

Discussing political issues is outside the bounds of this site.

29chico said:
Folks, this sounds like politics.  

Not sure how an observation of economic sustainability is political , since all sides of the political spectrum use the services offered by the government. Making a political issue of every discussion is what has polarized our country.

Almost There said:
Interesting observation - what was so horrible about it, other than it's long!

Like many of the"classics", it just wasn't a writing style that I enjoy much... *shrug*

Entitlement mentality is very common nowadays. As a young person I enjoy taking several months off from work every year to travel and bum around the country, but I do not expect anyone else to pay my way, whether they be parents, taxpayers, or kindhearted strangers. Unfortunately, from failed fledglings to welfare abusers, many have no problem taking all they can get, and a society cannot stay together that way.

29chico said:
Politics is "there" as part of Our Social Issues. Politics is the "governance structure" that is intended to correct Our mistakes as a People of a Nation. Political issues ae part of social issues.

But...

We need to be able to discuss Our Issues and Problems (especially from the Nomadic Viewpoint", but should do this the best We can without "entering" the political arena. Actually, to do so. just might contribute to solving social problems outside the political zone. Maybe? Sometimes? Perhaps? "We The People" learning to, Peacefully, solve Our Own Problems without direction from political sources?

BradKW said:
Like many of the"classics", it just wasn't a writing style that I enjoy much... *shrug*
I believe the proper expression would have been ... "I'm Shrugged".

As I recall the 50 page long manifesto near the back was long and boring. The book seemed like about a million pages long. Too much repetition. They did make a 3 part movie of the book a couple of years ago, which I actually enjoyed, but I think they were generally panned. Who is John Galt? He may be closer than we suspect to the vanlife movement.

IanC said:
I know people have been predicting collapses forever, but surely this can't go on forever without something very bad being in the cards.
Maybe among Ourselves, as "Modern Nomads", We can reach agreements and find ways to minimize the "bad" and increase the "Good" in Our Circles? Here it is the end of "2019" and I see and feel an "end of several kinds" coming. Especially with the recent dire prognostications of economic collapse.

So. I, for one, am of a Mind to survive the best I can and help my Loved Ones do so too. Then I am determined to help someone else survive too. I know I would be able to offer food to someone at just the right time. Maybe more, by the time it gets "bad".

"Entitlement mentality" is always used by those who froth when average people get help but never seem find anything 'entitled' by industry using research findings funded by the public (such a pharmaceuticals using university grant research findings) then turn around and pay no taxes themselves because they got to write the rules. Or the companies making fortunes of millions of lifetimes a year while paying the people who run their business so little they qualify as being in poverty while paying no taxes. And only agree to do so because the government that gives their employer no taxes makes it illegal or impossible to use basic resources to support themselves forcing them into their exploited situation. Ya know the actual, real, alarming, and wildly larger problem strangulating our society.

Is there fraud in the system with people collecting money when they are capable of being employed? Yes of course.

Can a person who was convicted on drug charges and had a serious addiction get reliable employment in a job that will provide sufficient income to live on? May one in 50 or so might be able to do so but it would only happen with the assistance of a government program. No doubt they would also need counseling services as quite often they do have mental health issues that need addressing so that they can stand up to the stresses that tend to come with the low paying "sweat shop" atmosphere. I know what those employment situations are like as I have been in those environments when I took a couple of temp jobs after retirement age. For instance supervisors hassling the older women about taking an extra bathroom break even though the labor law prohibits them from doing that.

Could a person with a rap sheet for drugs and a known former addiction qualify for a home load without a program to help secure the loan? It is very unlikely so that means they would be stuck in the kind of housing in neighborhoods with some bad influences that could lead them right back into drugs.

It is very easy to take the high road without thinking it through for why there are such government programs and how they work.

I don't see how this involves CRVL. I didn't when it was started but it died quick so nothing was done. but now it has been brought back from the dead. so I am closing it. highdesertranger

Status
Not open for further replies.