A.R.E. type door for back of cap

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ATTACH=full said:
28491[/ATTACH]B and C pid='535802' dateline='1620529891']Shrink them to 800x600 and they upload just fine.

Attachments

• ranger5.jpg
    ranger5.jpg
    158.8 KB
Something isn't quite right with that resizing... I'll try again.

The raw wood (looks white) will be coated with poor man's fiberglass and painted gloss black. I went to Home Depot today and bought plexiglass for a window in the door and a "cold air return" grill, which will also go in the new back to vent the battery, which will be sealed off from the living space.
In the last 24 hours I have purchased a 12v water pump and single valve faucet, a sink drain, the plexi and grille, a small mixing bowl for the sink, a toilet seat for a bucket, and a 4" thick piece of foam rubber for a mattress. By the end of this week this thing should be completely ready for my road trip.

It looks great! It is amazing what a big difference a little more room can make! If your topper has a sliding front window as well as your truck's rear cab window you can stuff a pool noodle between them and set a 12 volt fan in there when you park to get some really good ventilation without having to install a roof top vent.

bullfrog said:
It looks great! It is amazing what a big difference a little more room can make! If your topper has a sliding front window as well as your truck's rear cab window you can stuff a pool noodle between them and set a 12 volt fan in there when you park to get some really good ventilation without having to install a roof top vent.
 Yeah, I sure wish it did, but it doesn't. I'd like to find a roof vent that wouldn't break the bank and would be here in time to get it installed before my trip...which is now 10 days away.It does have sliding windows with screens on both sides, so I'm hoping that'll be ok with a fan.

It looks better than I imagined from the first descriptions I read in this thread, and should be aerodynamic to boot. It will like nice, and finished when you paint it.

ckelly78z said:
It looks better than I imagined from the first descriptions 

I think so too! LOL I was worried about how it might look when I thought about doing it.

kklowell said:
This looks better.
Hey kk,

Is that Topper built up some from it's actual height?  I mean the white part on the bottom looks like it might be?  I ask because I think I can still get my canopy back that was on my truck before I had him take it off, and paint it.  I told him I'd take it to the dump, but I think I should see if the guy who might be helping me could use it.

I would really love to have something done to mine like you have done, and that canopy would save me some dollars if it can be used.  The only things wrong with it was it needed some paint, cleaned up (moss and stuff around windows) and one of the hydraulic lifts gave out.  Now I'm feeling kind of stupid for not seeing it could still be worth something to me.

wasn't able to edit, but wanted to add a pic of my canopy, but this is an old photo.  It looked good back then, but the shape of it is good if I could make it set up higher like yours. 

So I'll wait and see if you reply on whether or not you raised your topper up with extra wood under the sides ;)  Thanks much, Denise

Attachments

• canopy.jpg
    canopy.jpg
    1.1 MB
For sure get that topper back. Yes the other one is lifted and you could do the same. Highdesertranger

Last year I built a standy teardrop out of a Harber Freight trailer, a 60 year old truck cap, and a built frame to make the camper tall enough to stand in. See photo. Good luck with yours, I sold mine for $2200. It was fun to build.
I love the little step too!  That looks really good and I wish I'd taken shop instead of home-ec in high-school ;(

G0ldengirl68 said:
Hey kk,

Is that Topper built up some from it's actual height?  I mean the white part on the bottom looks like it might be?  I ask because I think I can still get my canopy back that was on my truck before I had him take it off, and paint it.  I told him I'd take it to the dump, but I think I should see if the guy who might be helping me could use it.

I would really love to have something done to mine like you have done, and that canopy would save me some dollars if it can be used.  The only things wrong with it was it needed some paint, cleaned up (moss and stuff around windows) and one of the hydraulic lifts gave out.  Now I'm feeling kind of stupid for not seeing it could still be worth something to me.
Yes, the white part is plywood and raises the topper about 6 inches. I basically made a plywood C and clamped it with topper clamps, and then clamped the topper to it with another set of clamps. I can take pictures tomorrow if you'd like.

I did think about raising it more as it's only 47 inches high inside, but wanted it to look decent and not be way over the cab

I would replace those clamps with bolts. I really can't believe they even allow those clamps. Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I would replace those clamps with bolts.  I really can't believe they even allow those clamps.  Highdesertranger
I'm thinking that I probably will do that. I don't expect to be leaving pavement much this trip, or at all, but I will be in the future and I'd probably never think of checking the clamps periodically then. My biggest problem with bolts is that I have a bedliner that covers the top of the bed sides, so getting to a nut would mean cutting holes....although, I guess if the clamps were eliminated, I could use the places where the bedliner was already cut. 
Right now the clamps are pretty handy... I've already had the topper off 3 or 4 times, and it will need to come off at least one more time so I can do the PMF and paint on the riser. I clamp it in place each time so I can make measurements knowing that the topper hasn't moved.

Latest posts