A gun thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spd2918

Reaction score
This is a thread to discuss carrying a firearm while on the road. Please do not post political comments about guns, gun laws, or the perfect ammo; you can start your own thread for that.

I am curious what works for those of you that carry. I have reluctantly carried for 20 years and have only recently found a piece I enjoy having on my hip:

2013-03-02_10-26-53_197_zps7f980a0a.jpg

It's a Smith & Wesson .380 Bodyguard. This thing is light, narrow, and shoots more accurately than any compact I've ever had. The laser is not really needed, but a nice thing to have in the dark.

For me, it's not the gun but the fact that I have one with me. In the glove box or under the seat does not help me if I need it. This one is so easy to carry that I always have it.

What are you carrying?

To keep things a little simpler and not get caught up in carry laws in different states I keep a 12ga. marine pump shotgun onboard.......why I dont know , I try not to put myself in a place or position that it would be needed......but in a retreat situation where Im in the RV Im sure it would demonstrate my point effectively if such arose........besides bird shot and buck shot tend not to miss in the first 50 yards. even without aiming!!!!

I have a length of one inch brass pipe, about 48 inches. I have a bend near the top about 25 degree. A rubber cane foot on the bottom. I have a lanyard like a ski pole. About 1/2 pound of lead shot in the end. It goes where ever I want to go.

In the vehicle I have a marine flare gun. 12 gauge pistol.

A few Sig's, Smith's and a .380 Jimenez that I refer to as my cheap slutty little friend. Those of you with the shotguns, there is nothing scarier than the sound of shotgun being racked, even if empty.

I have my CCW but I seldom carry. I spend all my times on public land and the only time I have been afraid is from 4 legged critters.

The trailer is different, It is well armed!

Been considering one of the ultralight S&W 38s for carry with +P. I just don't think I would bother.

I'm more inclined to get a Taurus Judge for open carry in a chest holster for fast access. Good for all critters, 2 or 4 legged. I might get the Circuit Judge carbine so they can share ammo as well.

Any thoughts, I really am undecided.
Bob

Lucky mike said:
..besides bird shot and buck shot tend not to miss in the first 50 yards. even without aiming!!!!

Mike, I'm sorry, you're repeating some gun store myths that just aren' t true.

At room distances, say 10 feet, your pellet spread won't be much more than 4 or 5 inches, it's easily possible to miss a man if you don't aim and just point in his general direction.

At longer distances, you have the opposite problem, the "doughnut effect". The pattern opens up so much that something in the center is often untouched by any of the pellets.

In a "Bet Your Life" scenario, I wouldn't trust birdshot past 15 yards (the tiny pellets lose energy fast) or buckshot past 30 - 35 yards. Past that, you need rifled slugs.

I was an armored car guard for a number of years. In addition to the company provided shotgun training, I attended combat shotgun courses at Chuck Taylor's American Small Arms Academy and Mas Ayoobs Lethal Force Institute on my own dime.

Don't take my word for all this. Set up some silhouette targets every 5 yards from 5 to 50 yards and pattern your gun and chosen load on them. You'll see.

Regards
John

akrvbob said:
I'm more inclined to get a Taurus Judge for open carry in a chest holster for fast access. Good for all critters, 2 or 4 legged. I might get the Circuit Judge carbine so they can share ammo as well.

Any thoughts, I really am undecided.
Bob

Bob, I saw a test in SWAT magazine that basically confirmed what I suspected. The rifled barrel causes the shotshell load to spin. As soon as it clears the barrel, centripetal force sends the pellets every which way, totally destroying the pattern.

In short, they're a marketing gimmick.

Regards
John

Ruger LCP 38 Special with Trijicon sights, (cannot shoot more than 100 rounds w/o hand hurting like heck).
S&W 317 Kit gun .22 cal, Airlight (fibre optic front sight).
Ruger Mark III Hunter, Competition w/ red dot scope,
Ruger Charger .22 caliber, w/ Sig Sauer Red Dot scope<---crap
Taurus .22 palm pistol (crap)
Ruger Single Six stainless .22 (6.5-inch barrel) very accurate & easy to keep clean! My favorite, hands down!
Squire & Bingham .22 rifle (K-Mart Blue Light special from the 1970's or '80's, made in Brazil)

2,000 rounds of .22 Winchester Super-x ammo (expensive)

***This alone is the reason why I do NOT share personal information r/e (exact) location (herein on this forum or any other social-website for that matter), color of vehicle & pictures herein. Also, these are in my dwelling vehicle.

-Also have a conceal carry license in Ohio (CCW). Plus my OPATA cert is still current, but am not employed as an officer.

In my former life I was a Deputy Sheriff and my Dept., made us carry .40 Glocks. I learned to really appreciate the simplicity, but respect the lack of a safety.
My travel protection is a Glock 27.
Spd, that is a nice piece!!

I carry a S&W .357 magnum generally loaded with 158 grain hollow points. I also keep a Mossberg 500 12 gauge in the van. I sleep with my old K-Bar right next to me. It has been a trusted friend for almost 30 years. I also have a folding Buck knife, pepper spray, and a 250 kv stun gun for when carrying a pistol would not be permitted.

I carry a full sized S&W M&P 40. It's big and bulky, but it packs a bit more punch than a 380 and twice as many rounds. With that said, I will be getting a Shield in 40 cal for summer carry.

Inside the van, mounted within reach when I am sleeping, is not only the S&W, but also a trusty 12 gauge loaded with buckshot (not chambered)

My Beretta 92FS will be coming along when I hit the road. I am also considering a rifle, but funds are a bit tight right now.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Mike, I'm sorry, you're repeating some gun store myths that just aren' t true.

At room distances, say 10 feet, your pellet spread won't be much more than 4 or 5 inches, it's easily possible to miss a man if you don't aim and just point in his general direction.

At longer distances, you have the opposite problem, the "doughnut effect". The pattern opens up so much that something in the center is often untouched by any of the pellets.

In a "Bet Your Life" scenario, I wouldn't trust birdshot past 15 yards (the tiny pellets lose energy fast) or buckshot past 30 - 35 yards. Past that, you need rifled slugs.

I was an armored car guard for a number of years. In addition to the company provided shotgun training, I attended combat shotgun courses at Chuck Taylor's American Small Arms Academy and Mas Ayoobs Lethal Force Institute on my own dime.

Don't take my word for all this. Set up some silhouette targets every 5 yards from 5 to 50 yards and pattern your gun and chosen load on them. You'll see.

Regards
John

Bob, I saw a test in SWAT magazine that basically confirmed what I suspected. The rifled barrel causes the shotshell load to spin. As soon as it clears the barrel, centripetal force sends the pellets every which way, totally destroying the pattern.

In short, they're a marketing gimmick.

Regards
John

I own one of those marketing gimmicks...a Taurus Judge....it does exactly what it is supposed to do...
It is an excellent personal defense pistol...
I believe magazine articles as much as I believe internet experts. I have owned my Judge since they came out and have fired all types of ammo through it....it does exactly what it's supposed to do...

I own one of those marketing gimmicks...a Taurus Judge....it does exactly what it is supposed to do...
It is an excellent personal defense pistol...
I believe magazine articles as much as I believe internet experts. I have owned my Judge since they came out and have fired all types of ammo through it....it does exactly what it's supposed to do...

What exactly is it supposed to do?

What is the purpose of a "shotgun" with such limited range?

Regards
John

Great snake killers for one.

Own property in southern Arizona (or any rattler prone areas) and you will be loading up shotshell too.

I would not use it for home defense against anything larger than a snake. That's just me

Van-Tramp said:
Great snake killers for one.

Own property in southern Arizona (or any rattler prone areas) and you will be loading up shotshell too.

I would not use it for home defense against anything larger than a snake. That's just me

Do you own one? Which barrel length?

Have you patterned it on paper at snake killing range?

What kind of patterns are you getting? What shot sizes have you tested? What would you say is the maximum effective range?

Regards
John

No, I do not.

I have friends that use shotshell regularly to kill rattlers on their property in Arizona. I would assume they are talking about ranges of little more than just outside the reach of the snake itself (10-12 feet max?).

Optimistic Paranoid said:
What exactly is it supposed to do?

What is the purpose of a "shotgun" with such limited range?

Regards
John

As quoted...personal defense pistol. I think that explains it.
Most pistols have limited range...
My judge...fires 45LC...and 410 shot shells...of which..there are many different types of personal protection rounds...
I don't need ...."range". I m not deer hunting... Personal defense is what it is useful for. And it's great for snake country
So with that said...maybe you should get one...give it a try...and not base opinions on magazine articles.

Kevin

As quoted...personal defense pistol. I think that explains it.
Most pistols have limited range...
My judge...fires 45LC...and 410 shot shells...of which..there are many different types of personal protection rounds...
I don't need ...."range". I m not deer hunting... Personal defense is what it is useful for. And it's great for snake country
So with that said...maybe you should get one...give it a try...and not base opinions on magazine articles.

Kevin

I understand personal protection quite well. I have half a dozen hand guns, and over the course of a decade or so, spent several thousands of dollars attending training classes. I have somewhere between 240 and 300 hours of such training.

My problem with the Judge is that it's an attempt to combine two different types of guns in one. It's needlessly large and heavy for a personal defense gun, and the presence of rifling in the barrel SEVERELY degrades any utility it has as a shotgun.

45 Colt is a fine self defense round, more than adequate. I doubt that any 410 shotshell can improve on it.

As general rule, I tend to agree with you about magazine articles. They never have anything bad to say about any gun, lest they offend an advertiser.

So when one DOES publish a negative review, I tend to take it seriously.

Plus, the article was written by Tom Givens of Rangemaster, a man I have met and trained with, and have a great deal of respect for.

When someone I know and trust has tested something and says "It doesn't work.", I don't feel any need to spend my own good money to repeat his tests.

Let me ask you the same questions I asked VanTramp. Have you actually patterned it with shotshells on paper? What kind of patterns did you get?

Regards
John

On the subject of shotshells and snakes . . .

As I currently live in the northeast, I've never felt a need for such protection. When I hit the road, I plan to spend much time in the desert southwest.

I've been thinking about getting one of those Bond Arms Snakeslayer derringers.

Theoretically, since there will be little or no rifling to interact with the shotshell, It should give decent patterns to a reasonable range. Plus, it should be light and handy to carry on hikes (along with my Glock).

Anybody here got any experience with one?

Regards
John

Why do you feel a need to kill snakes? I know of no snake in the USA that would be a threat unless you went after it. I can understand farmers protecting their small livestock, but I bet most of them like the rodent hunters.

Zil......I take it you have'nt encountered a water moc or copperhead.....when you do you will be enlightened on how some snakes are aggressive.

I guess it depends on where in the country you are as to what you come into contact with

of course you also find people hunting squirrels with AR-15's so you just never know..

a good walking stick and open eyes normally will keep you out of harms way....