A 9 Year Vandweller with Something to Say

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirsty Boots Nomad

Reaction score
Thought this was a cool video with an interesting idea for heating through a hot water heater:

[video=dailymotion]

He said he is running antifreeze in the lines to keep them from freezing when turned off. This means the water heater can't be used for anything else, (like heating shower water). My water heater seems to waste as much heat as it uses for making the water hot, ( lots of heat exits the outside heater exhaust). Good that he also has solar because the fans and water pump use electricity. If you already have a water heater that you don't want, It would be an inexpensive mod, (not very efficient however). Would have been less work to install a RV furnace.

I agree with all of the above. The only thing I'm not sure about is how long the water will retain the heat.
Antifreeze in the water heater? That's scary!

That is a closed system.  Not for getting cooking water, but exclusively for heating.  I have worked on these before in high end houses, and built one for a N. CA. spa that uses geothermal water to heat the rental rooms.  

It looks fairly efficient but I am not sure how he vents the water heater.

DannyB1954 said:
He said he is running antifreeze in the lines to keep them from freezing when turned off. This means the water heater can't be used for anything else, (like heating shower water). My water heater seems to waste as much heat as it uses for making the water hot, ( lots of heat exits the outside heater exhaust).  Good that he also has solar because the fans and water pump use electricity. If you already have a water heater that you don't want, It would be an inexpensive mod, (not very efficient however). Would have been less work to install a RV furnace.

I think my water pump draws about 8 amps ( 2.5 gpm )   ,  I wouldn't  want to run that continously.

Basic Hydronic heating..........A pump circulates the antifreeze/water solution........as it cools the water heater kicks on and reheats the tank of water........the water gives up it's heat to the radiator inside the van and returns to be reheated............

The products of combustion are exhausted thru the outside vents as well as providing fresh air for combustion........Inside: no O2 depletion or CO build-up........No moisture build-up from exposed combustion............in RV's the gas appliance cabinets are often sealed to the outside

Popular DIY variations of this for the S&B crowd center around using the Outside wall-mount tankless gas water heaters w/pump and expansion tank and in-floor PEX hydronic tubing for heating

I'm no expert but to me it sounds brilliant............of course with any DIY system the "Devil is in the Details"

doug

GotSmart said:
That is a closed system.  Not for getting cooking water, but exclusively for heating.  I have worked on these before in high end houses, and built one for a N. CA. spa that uses geothermal water to heat the rental rooms.  

It looks fairly efficient but I am not sure how he vents the water heater.

I'm pretty sure he vents it out the drivers side of the van right behind the drivers door , in the
video I saw his vent in that location.
He also said he has a expansion tank in line with the hose for when the water expands when it heats.

That vent was low.  Hot air and fumes rise.   :huh:  If I could actually look it over...   :D

Looked like something with a lot of moving parts that would be a nightmare to me.  I don't see how this is economical by any stretch of the imagination.  Takes up too much room for my tastes.  But, I can see where it would interest people with more money to spend than I do.