A 2" Lift Cause Suspensions Problems on Chevy/GMC van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cortttt

Reaction score
I saw somewhere that lifting a truck changes the angles in the suspension causing more wear and tear.  I would like a small lift - I bang the underside of my GMC savana now and then - almost destroyed my transmission pan one time - but I heard from two mechanics that the suspension of the Express/Savana was a weak spot. The suspension is already getting a workout - so I am wary about doing anything that could weaken it. 

Would a 2" lift cause problems over time?

how are you planning on lifting it? I never recommend lifting an independent suspension vehicle with a suspension lift. the mechanics you talked to are correct, DON"T do it, down the road you will have many problems. if it were me I would do a 1 inch body lift(no more) and then put the tallest tires that don't rub. that should give you 2 inches and your suspension remains stock. skid plates are your friend. 1/4 inch hardened aluminum plate makes good skid plates. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
how are you planning on lifting it?  I never recommend lifting an independent suspension vehicle with a suspension lift.   the mechanics you talked to are correct,  DON"T do it,  down the road you will have many problems.  if it were me I would do a 1 inch body lift(no more) and then put the tallest tires that don't rub.  that should give you 2 inches and your suspension remains stock.  skid plates are your friend.  1/4 inch hardened aluminum plate makes good skid plates.  highdesertranger

Thanks....

Yes, skid plates - while expensive  - are my friend.  The GM dealer couldn't believe the transmission pan survived whatever hit it - it was buckled almost in half..Dragging that thing out of the mountains probably would have cost $500....

And speaking of the highest van ground clearance (8.1") with the pickup truck hood for ergonomics and the most powerful v8, the Nissan NV also is better for a 2nd alternator ground clearance too. (I probably gained 1" on rear ground clearance with Sumo Springs, which make the High Roof van handle like a performance minivan for $250 complete.) Most high roofs are European converts like Ram and Ford, who don't have a v8 or adequate hood space or room for leg posture ergonomics. ** Therefore, the European 6 cylinder copy cat's Nation's-2nd-alternator hangs down uncomfortably close to the ground and curbs; and requires a 'custom' 2nd alternator guard for safety sake, $,$$$!

The Nissan NV 3500's (V8's) 2nd alternator is on top of the engine inside the hood! Thus, the Nissan NV and/or GM are the clear winners for the Nation's 2nd alternator application: free (roof) ac running mileage costs and FREE overnight parking ac (KoolAid-"Oh Yeah!") for a 20 year fixed capital investment. Just some 'Cool' information to pass on. And Nissan NV is Made in America too: TN and MS!

breeze said:
And speaking of the highest van ground clearance (8.1") with the pickup truck hood for ergonomics and the most powerful v8, the Nissan NV also is better for a 2nd alternator ground clearance too. (I probably gained 1" on rear ground clearance with Sumo Springs, which make the High Roof van handle like a performance minivan for $250 complete.) Most high roofs are European converts like Ram and Ford, who don't have a v8 or adequate hood space or room for leg posture ergonomics. ** Therefore, the European 6 cylinder copy cat's Nation's-2nd-alternator hangs down uncomfortably close to the ground and curbs; and requires a 'custom' 2nd alternator guard for safety sake, $,$$$!

The Nissan NV 3500's (V8's) 2nd alternator is on top of the engine inside the hood! Thus, the Nissan NV and/or GM are the clear winners for the Nation's 2nd alternator application: free (roof) ac running mileage costs and FREE overnight parking ac (KoolAid-"Oh Yeah!") for a 20 year fixed capital investment. Just some 'Cool' information to pass on. And Nissan NV is Made in America too: TN and MS!
Thanks. I really like the NV....I just came across someone with 450K on one....

I actually put Sumo Springs on the front - really like what they did to smooth out the bumps a bit. I didn't even think about them on the back. Thanks for the suggestion.

> free (roof) ac running mileage costs and FREE overnight parking ac (KoolAid-"Oh Yeah!")

Could you please start a thread with a detailed explanation of what you mean by all that?

Or give a link if you've already given one?

A onboard air system with airbags on all 4 corners might give you enough lift in the tuff stops and then you could put it back to normal ride height.

The only I would lift, or lower a van is with lift/lowering spindles. Especially if I wanted more then a 1" lift/lowering. Its not because of the effects changes in height does to the suspension geometry, rather its from what it does to the steering geometry. Bump-steer. Its scary.

YMMV...

Our 2010 chevy express awd was lifted by a proshop with a proven lift kit from boulder off road vans out of Colorado. I had it at a chevy (private owner) shop and he was complementary on the upfit/design and said it was better-than-original in function/robustness. So it can be done. And we did put a tad taller tires on it and rides like it's on rails rain/ice/snow (stock 245 p-rated to 265 e-rated all seasons)

AccreteAWD_proj.jpg

: ) Thom

PS...we recently put this van up for sale.

accrete said:
YMMV...

Our 2010 chevy express awd was lifted by a proshop with a proven lift kit from boulder off road vans out of Colorado. I had it at a chevy (private owner) shop and he was complementary on the upfit/design and said it was better-than-original in function/robustness. So it can be done. And we did put a tad taller tires on it and rides like it's on rails rain/ice/snow (stock 245 p-rated to 265 e-rated all seasons)

AccreteAWD_proj.jpg

: ) Thom

PS...we recently put this van up for sale.

Nice van! ...I wonder if adding the spindles significantly reduces wear and tear on the suspension. How many miles did you put on it?

cortttt said:
Nice van! ...I wonder if adding the spindles significantly reduces wear and tear on the suspension. How many miles did you put on it?
THX for the vanKudos : )
On wear/tear...the folks over at BOR have many tens of thousands of miles on their lift in various rigs over the years and no reported issues. It is a mild lift of 2.5" but it adds enough to get the 265's to fit comfortably ( : or 285's for those with a tad to much testosterone in their system : ).

The van now has 47K miles on it and has been my wife's daily driver since day 1, and still driving it till it finds a new happy-home. Great rigs!

Thom

Latest posts