Chevy/GMC Drops 4.8L Adds V6 to Van for 2018

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had to by a new Chevy/GMC van which would you choose

• 4.3L V6 w/8 speed transmission

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 6.0 L w/6 speed transmission

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • 2.8 L Diesel w/ 8 spd transmission

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I'd buy an older 4.8/5.3 L van

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

cortttt

Reaction score
Chevy has dropped the 4.8L engine and replaced it with a V6 with an 8 speed transmission. It delivers the same power as the 4.8L but hopefully with a bit improved fuel economy

On the subject of swapping cogs, the six-speed automatic of yesterday is replaced by the eight-speed slushbox known as the Hydra-Matic 8L90. The two forward gears should help with fuel economy, though General Motors hasn’t released any figures yet. On the oily bits front, the 4.8-liter Vortec V8 (L20) is no longer available. The replacement is a naturally aspirated V6 (LV1 V6) that develops 265 horsepower and 295 pound-feet at 4,000 rpm.

Even though it’s 20 horsepower down on the L20 V8, the LV1 V6 produces the same torque lower in the rev range. Boasting aluminum cylinder block casting, spark ignition direct injection, and variable valve timing, the newcomer is a derivative of the 4.3-liter LV3 V6 offered in the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. Whichever way you look at it, it’s a better, more modern plant than the L20 V8, which uses sequential fuel injection.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...nsmission-loses-48l-v8-for-43l-v6-120899.html

(You can still get the 4.8L at GMC dealers; the V6 doesn't appear to be available yet)

That leaves the following engines available: 4.3L V6; Vortec® 6.0L V8 SFI engine; [size=small]2.8L Duramax® Turbo-Diesel[/size]
  • [size=small]4.3L V6 - delivers [/size]276 hp @ 5200 rpm298 lb-ft of torque @ 3900 rpm
  • 6.0L V8 - delivers [/size]341 hp @ 5400 rpm; 373 lb-ft of torque @ 4400 rpm
  • 2.8L Duramax Turbo Diesel - delivers 181 hp @ 3400 rpm; 369 lb-ft of torque @ 2000 rpm
The 6.0 L would set you back $995; the 2.8L Duramax diesel - $3,995.  MPG are supposed up in the small diesel but I haven't seen any figures. 

Take the poll and let us know what you would buy if you were forced to buy a brand new Chevy/GMC....

I saw where Chevy is going to offer an inline 6 diesel in the Silverado pickup so maybe that will be offered in the van.

I'm less concerned with what they put under the hood, and much more interested in when they make the roof in newer models taller.

I want a factory high-top already!

Is this the case for the 2018 Chevy Express can & cutaway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigT said:
I'm less concerned with what they put under the hood, and much more interested in when they make the roof in newer models taller.  

I want a factory high-top already!

Me too! That's the missing component for me. I can't imagine the makeover whenever it comes will not include one. 

Chevy/GMC van sales were actually really good - despite the fact that the old van is competing against all newcomers - van sales were up over 10% last year - almost 100,000 units. That's astonishing given that Ford only sold 127,000 of its new Transit. Chevy must be racking in the profits relative to Ford on that vehicle. Here's some more on the new engine/tranny combo:

For as long as we can remember, the base powertrain of the Express/Savana twins was the 4.8L Vortec V-8 L20 mated to a GM Hydra-Matic six-speed heavy-duty automatic transmission (MYD). The combo was good for 285 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque.
Those who aren’t directly familiar with the 4.8L L20 should know that the motor is part of the GM Gen IV Small Block generation of engines and did duty as the base engine in the GMT900 generation Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra. It was fed via sequential fuel injection (SFI), so it wasn’t direct injected. Variable Valve Timing (VVT) was added on in 2009.

Engine/Metric
Power hp / kW @ RPM

Torque lb-ft / Nm @ RPM4.3 L V-8 LV1 (new)
265 / 198 @ 5200
295 / 400 @ 4000

4.8L V-8 L20 (old)
285 / 212.5 @ 5400
295 / 398.3 @ 4600

The engine that’s replacing it is the 4.3L V-6 LV1. Part of the GM Gen V family of engines, the aluminum block motor is essentially a variant of the EcoTec3 4.3L V-6 LV3 that serves as the base powerplant for the GMT-K2 generation of the Silverado and Sierra.

In the 2018 Express and Savana, the LV1 makes 265 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. And unlike the L20 it replaces, the mill features the latest and greatest combustion technology like spark ignition direct injection (SIDI), Variable Valve Timing (VVT) that wasn’t added on as an afterthought like in the L20, and high-pressure fuel pumps.

And since the newer, more efficient engine will be mated to a transmission with two more forward gears (the GM 8-speed 8L90 M5U), we expect the Express and Savana to see a bump in fuel economy for the 2018 model year as well.

The introduction of the new LV1 V-6 engine coincides with other changes and updates for the 2018 Express and Savana — which you can find using the links at the end of this article.

There’s no denying that the Express and Savana are downright archaic. depending on how you count it, the duo is either 23 years old (since the launch of the first-generation Express in 1996) or 16 years old (after the original van was updated in 2003). But despite their age, the vehicles are trusted by thousands of fleet owners and are selling very well in the marketplace, often occupying first or second places in their competitive set.

As such, it’s great to see GM give the these workhorses some attention with a modern base powertrain along with other updates for the 2018 model year. This should bring some modernity to the vehicles, thereby making them more competitive in the marketplace, while meeting the looming fuel economy regulations. And delivering the same (power/torque) with less displacement and two fewer cylinders is always a welcome change.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/09/2018-chevy-express-2018-gmc-savana-get-new-base-engine-and-8-speed-transmission/#ixzz54pwMtRwb
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/09...ngine-and-8-speed-transmission/#ixzz54pwMtRwb

Here's some more on the next generation of Chevy vans: 

And that truly begs the question: where in the world are GM’s new vans? The Transit’s European roots lend themselves better to cargo capacity and hauling, and Ford Authority even found the driving experience rather delightful. Granted, we have yet to drive the 2018 Express or Savana, which now boast a new base V6 engine and 8-speed automatic transmission, or an optional 2.8-liter Duramax turbodiesel, but the foundation of GM’s vans is still the same as it has been for over two decades. Once upon a time, it seemed like Opel could come to GM’s rescue and provide its entire portfolio of commercial and cargo vans. That option is no more after GM sold the brand to PSA Groupe in 2017.

So from here, GM could either develop a new lineup of vans by itself or co-develop them with another industry player. Partnering with others on commercial vehicles is a strategy that has lately been growing in popularity for GM. For instance, the upcoming Chevrolet Medium Duty Trucks – the Silverado 4500HD and Silverado 5500HD – are being developed in conjunction with Navistar. The two companies also inked a separate deal back in 2016 that has Navistar producing cutaway versions of GM’s vans at a plant of its own, in order to expand supply of Express/Savana cutaways. Meanwhile, the Chevrolet Low Cab Forward is sourced directly from Isuzu, with seemingly little (or rather no) GM input, while the Chevrolet City Express is sourced straight from Nissan, also with minimal, if any, GM involvement.

Or, the segment simply isn’t ripe for revolution in GM’s eyes. The Express and Savana keep a loyal fleet crowd and investments may not outweigh the benefits. We don’t know the answer, but the Transit 350 EcoBoost felt two leagues ahead of GM.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/01/2017-ford-transit-driven-where-in-the-world-are-new-general-motors-vans/#ixzz54pyS8thE

The problem is is that given Chevy is still selling 100,000 of these vehicles a year - what is their incentive to change? Production costs must be very low given the body et. al is over a decade old - so their profits are probably spectacular. That would change with a new van...

The Toyota Tundra is in the same place - old model but still selling well - so Toyota's just been making little changes for years.

How many people on this forum can even THINK about buying a new van?  Not to mention the cost of conversion and insurance.  I guess it's nice to dream, but the thing people seem to forget is that the newer the vehicle the more likely you are to be married to the dealerships because they are being built so complicated that the independent mechanics can't work on them, and this is done on purpose.

All comes down to $/mile and $/year over the period you own the vehicle.

Obviously IMO the first year or two depreciation is silly money to waste.

But spending a lot more up front for a newer vehicle's better reliability, using it for 3-5 years and then selling it for not a lot less *can* work out to lower cost of ownership ($/mile and $/year) than an ancient beater needing big repairs.

And much fewer disruptions and headaches.

Now, all that's for people who don't work on their own vehicle, obviously if you have the skills, tools and inclination to do so that allows for huge savings and tilts more in favor toward simpler old ones.

And those who just can't afford the up front of course have fewer choices and may need to put up with higher running costs.

I've had pretty good results buying new and trading in after 3 to 5 years. My current truck is 5 years old. I got 11k off sticker and looking at replacing it with the same.....a Silverado except going to 3/4 ton up from 1/2 ton. Mine has 95k miles and I paid 28k. Dealer offered me 17k on trade in and current incentives would get me 11k off sticker again. I've done nothing to this truck except oil changes and a set of tires. So it cost me roughly 2300 a year to drive it. If I kept this another 5 years i'm betting my cost of ownership would go up some. I'd probably take the gamble and see but I really need a 3/4 ton for the stuff i'm doing.

Someone here recently posted an article stating that GMC Savannah sales grew 44% last year. Maybe the public isn't so hot for the others.

Upfitters seem to still prefer/need the GM and Econoline platforms. Ford still sells the cutaways on the E450 chassis.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Mine has 95k miles and I paid 28k. Dealer offered me 17k on trade in and current incentives would get me 11k off sticker again. I've done nothing to this truck except oil changes and a set of tires. So it cost me roughly 2300 a year to drive it.
Also 30¢ a mile plus fuel, consumables, insurance reg etc.

So yes very good.

Buying a low-miles 1-2 y.o. at 20-30% off that $28k probably even better, but time and energy to find & fetch it, risk of problems for you likely not worth the headaches.

They say a Lexus is not much more per year/per mile than a Corolla over ten years, build quality is worth paying for.

closeanuf said:
How many people on this forum can even THINK about buying a new van?  Not to mention the cost of conversion and insurance.  I guess it's nice to dream, but the thing people seem to forget is that the newer the vehicle the more likely you are to be married to the dealerships because they are being built so complicated that the independent mechanics can't work on them, and this is done on purpose.

Agreed. I'm hoping that Chevy will come out with a new van in 3 or 4 years.  My van currently has 115K; at 20,000 miles a year I hope to get it to at least 250K.....that's 6 years. If I can stretch it to 275 or 300K - that's 7 or 8 years. By then I will definitely be able to afford a used model if Chevy brings one out in 2021. As soon as this one is paid off....I'm going to start saving for the next one...It never stops really :)

I just cruised thru the remnants of the RTR - huge variety there including some really pricey, nice vans and RV's....

Stanvan said:
Someone here recently posted an article stating that GMC Savannah sales grew 44% last year. Maybe the public isn't so hot for the others.

That was really surprising. Ford Transit sales actually dropped by almost 20% while the Savana sales boomed.  GM Authority thought that fleet owners are still liking the Savana because its reliable, they know its issues and they know how exactly how to fix it. They also did add the baby diesel...Maybe that had an effect as well.

John61CT said:
All comes down to $/mile and $/year over the period you own the vehicle.

Obviously IMO the first year or two depreciation is silly money to waste.

But spending a lot more up front for a newer vehicle's better reliability, using it for 3-5 years and then selling it for not a lot less *can* work out to lower cost of ownership ($/mile and $/year) than an ancient beater needing big repairs.

And much fewer disruptions and  headaches.

Now, all that's for people who don't work on their own vehicle, obviously if you have the skills, tools and inclination to do so that allows for huge savings and tilts more in favor toward simpler old ones.

And those who just can't afford the up front of course have fewer choices and may need to put up with higher running costs.

Yes, depreciation is so high the first couple of years. On the other hand you get to buy, if you have the money, exactly the vehicle you want...and take care of it.  If you can afford it and are going to keep it for a decade, maybe its not such a bad investment ??

Yes, as I said, paying a bit more per mile / per year in exchange for less time and hassle is perfectly sensible if you can afford that, all depends on your priorities.

closeanuf said:
How many people on this forum can even THINK about buying a new van?
My "budget system" for those starting out closer to the edge allocates $1 a mile, more realistic for owners of old beaters that don't do work themselves.

Any surplus is savings for the next vehicle. https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?pid=353330#pid353330

Followed religiously plus some smart buying plus luck

or upping the rate to say $1.50

would allow many even on fixed incomes to gradually upgrade their choices

When your only vehicle is your home and you intend to put 400,000 miles on the vehicle in the next ten years, it seems buying new so you can get a vehicle with CarPlay and have a better experience can be a prudent investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts