Chevy Express / GMC Savana Diesel Spurs Interest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cortttt

Reaction score
The 2.8 L Duramax diesel with the 8-spd tranny should be coming to the Chevy/GMC van soon. This little article didn't have much info on it but I was surprised at all the comments it stirred. 
http://www.tfltruck.com/2017/02/201...el-passenger-van-prototype-tow-testing-spied/
http://www.tfltruck.com/2017/02/201...el-passenger-van-prototype-tow-testing-spied/

1. I currently have 5 chevy express vans, 2 with the 4.8 gas, and 3 with the 6.0 gas. I wouldn’t spend 3 grand extra for a diesel, that I know will cost much more to own outside of warranty. The gas motors are going 300k no problem, I know one company locally that has some with 500k on them. No dpf to break down, no expensive fuel pump to replace. 
These vans are bulletproof though. They are a time tested design, I hope GM keeps them around a bit longer.

Yes, I agree they are. Both the old Econoline and Savannah / Express were pretty bulletproof. But aside from towing, these old vans are inferior in every way to the new breadbox vans. There seems to still be a market for the old square vans in the ambulance companies.

1. Our company went from E250’s to Express 2500’s because of Ford’s Euro vans.What these vans need are 4.3’s in the 1/2 tons with a 5.3 option and standard 5.3’s in the 2500’s, all 8 speeds.Keep the Euro van garbage.

1. We have moved from chevy and Ford vans to the transit. Nobody misses the chevy vans (worst leg room and comfort) and Econoline. Everyone loves the Transit for comfort, handling, fuel economy, and room.The euro-style vans are completely better…why do you disagree? Ford offers a far better product than the Sprinter and certainly the worst is the RAM ProMaster. The Transit can be had with a very reliable naturally aspirated V6 (same as used in Ford police vehicles) or the 3.5L EcoBoost or the 3.2L diesel engine. Much more fuel efficient, much better handling, dual or single rear wheels, low, medium, or high roofs, short or long wheelbase…infinitely better interiors…why wouldn’t you want this?

1. We buy 3/4 tons. The Chevys vs the Econoline look better,drive smoother, ride nicer, have more power and get better gas mileage. Both run forever.The bigger transit hasn’t been around long enough to relearn the title of “run forever”. The first generation of the small transits had/have a TON of issues. They frequently require transmission work and are terribly under powered.GM needs to do a redesign on this van, I remember when this body style came out when I was in Middle school and I’m almost middle aged now.

1. It is an excellent design though. Parts are cheap, and these express vans last forever.

1. Looking at GM Vin cards for 2018 for the full sized vans, it looks like the 4.8 V8 is on the way out and 4.3 V6 is on the way in. Comparing the specs of the 2 engines, I can see why the change is happening.All the powertrain changes and no other obvious changes is an interesting way to take these models forward. Or it could be pure genius.

1. I didn’t see infor regarding the 8-speed in the fleet guides that were leaked a while ago. There could be some very good reasons- The 6L50 trans used in the Colorado is engineered for vehicles in the 5-6000# GVW range. These vans are 3/4 and 1ton trucks, so their GVWs are in the 9-11k# range. They could use the 6L80, but I think that trans will go away quickly, with fullsize truck product moving to the 8L80 and new 10-speed. The slightly deeper 1st gear and closer spacing will help that little diesel get down the road- should actually do really well.

1. Those saying the 2.8L will be under-powered have not looked the the actual torque numbers and RPM. The 2.8L has more torque available at a lower RPM than the current 6.0L v8 gas engine. 369lb-ft @ 2000RPM for the 2.8L vs 360lb-ft at 4000RPM with the 6.0L. this engine will be AWESOME!!!

1. You guys should look at the Canadian gmc or Chevy websites. The information is available and these vans with the 2.8 have been available to order for a month or so now. I’m waiting for a dealer to get one so I can test drive it.