Adding Windows to Chevy Express / GMC Savana Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cortttt

Reaction score
Anybody have any advice on adding windows to a Chevy Express/GMC Savana - which ones to add - and how to tips? 

I'm looking for windows that provide as much ventilation as possible. I have found ones with little ventilation strips on the bottom. The ones with more ventilation - I'm not sure if the curved sides of the van will be a problem.

You will need to find windows that are designed for your year and make of vehicle from an van conversion shop.

Here's the first one I located in a search: https://www.vanspecialties.com/van-customization-process/van-options/

The other choice is to replace the side and rear doors with doors that already have windows in them, desirably the kind that pop out at the bottom. Try a wrecking yard.

I wanted to replace the windows in my van with the ones that pop out and the cost was prohibitive. Much cheaper is replacing the whole door from a wrecking yard.

On my astrovan I use these vents for ventilation, I have them on both sides and they work very good. I have windows on my van but they tilt open from the bottom and were not effective to keeping me cool. At home depot they sell even bigger vents then the ones I'm using. The rectangular one is the one I use, the round one on the bottom I have covered over. 

I seen some vans where they replace the rear door windows with the vents I am using. 

They sell universal windows for vans they call them half sliders but they are in the 600 dollar range. The vents I use I spent less then 10 dollars. Thats all the ventilation I use, I don't even use my roof vents anymore. Put a endless breeze fantastic fan next to them and you get good airflow.
Better then any window.

The only how to tips is to use a cordless jigsaw (harbor freight 30 dollars with battery), best tool I ever bought. It makes quick work of cutting into the side of your van. 

side vents.jpg

Attachments

• side vents.jpg
    side vents.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 7
jonyjoe303 said:
On my astrovan I use these vents for ventilation, I have them on both sides and they work very good. I have windows on my van but they tilt open from the bottom and were not effective to keeping me cool. At home depot they sell even bigger vents then the ones I'm using. The rectangular one is the one I use, the round one on the bottom I have covered over. 

I seen some vans where they replace the rear door windows with the vents I am using. 

They sell universal windows for vans they call them half sliders but they are in the 600 dollar range. The vents I use I spent less then 10 dollars. Thats all the ventilation I use, I don't even use my roof vents anymore. Put a endless breeze fantastic fan next to them and you get good airflow.
Better then any window.

The only how to tips is to use a cordless jigsaw (harbor freight 30 dollars with battery), best tool I ever bought. It makes quick work of cutting into the side of your van. 
Thanks you guys and thanks for the vent idea. I was thinking of the fantastic endless breeze fan...Very clever. I will check that out.

Latest posts