Chevy/GMC Drops 4.8L Adds V6 to Van for 2018

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had to by a new Chevy/GMC van which would you choose

• 4.3L V6 w/8 speed transmission

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 6.0 L w/6 speed transmission

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • 2.8 L Diesel w/ 8 spd transmission

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I'd buy an older 4.8/5.3 L van

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Technomad said:
When your only vehicle is your home and you intend to put 400,000 miles on the vehicle in the next ten years, it seems buying new so you can get a vehicle with CarPlay and have a better experience can be a prudent investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm putting 25K on the van the last two years and I haven't been to Alaska yet. Hopefully this year is the year. If Alaska works out - then 30K a year may become the new normal (lol). 

If that's the case maybe I will look more into diesels. That Ford diesel that gets 30 mpg would be enticing if Chevy put a similar engine in their vans.

It looks like the big V8 (6 liter) engine is winning in the poll so far. I can definitely see the allure of more power.

It just hit me about one advantage with a diesel. With past diesels, GM offered a fuel powered heater. Which makes sense as diesels run cooler and don't produce as much heat as a gasoline motor. A buddy of mine heats his boat (which he lives on) with a marine diesel heater, a Webasto.