5x400w 24v system

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miyaksue

Reaction score
Hi.  I have 5 400w panels and such controller I'd like to setup in a 24v system.  Can someone chime in on how to wire the panels together?
Any input much appreciated.

wiring the panels together has to do with the controller the 24v output.

so what controller do you have?
how many volts are your panels? the reason I ask is my 435watt panels max out at 80v so if I wired them in series that would be 160v and I would have had to step up to the next controller. the Morningstar controller I got TS-MPPT-60 tops out at 150v.

Dang that's a lot of panel. what are you mounting it to?

oh yeah welcome

highdesertranger

So you want to wire your batteries as a 24V DC bank? You will be spending money on making that 24V DC turn to 12V DC so you can use regular 12V devices. Maybe with that much solar you are going to try and run everything off 120V AC?

Oh, welcome. Why don't you go to the newcomers corner so you can get a proper welcome. https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3

With an odd number of high power panels, I'd be inclined to build a split system.

One set of three panels, driving a 24v controller and batteries in series for a 24v to 120v inverter...This would easily power heavy loads like a microwave, induction cooktop, etc.

The other set of two panels powering a 12v controller and a battery or two, for all the 12v loads such as LED lights, 12v pumps, laptop chargers, etc.

This would provide flexibility and redundancy, for very little extra cost, or it might actually be cheaper, depending on the one high dollar controller you would have to buy, compared to buying two, lower capacity controllers.

Miyaksue, these are going to be high voltage panels without even asking you, you will need to wire them in parallel because of the 150 volt max input on a lot of charge controllers unless you have something special. To be positive , look at the peak output voltage of the panel and now look at the max input voltage of your charge controller. You  could be between 35 and 50 volts each depending on your panel. You could go all parallel or a combo 2 parallel's in series. I doubt all 4 in series due creating high voltage threshold issues for the controller.

B and C said:
  You will be spending money on making that 24V DC turn to 12V DC so you can use regular 12V devices.   
I'm doing 24v as well and all my DC devices will be 24v except the USB charging ports.

highdesertranger said:
wiring the panels together has to do with the controller the 24v output. 

so what controller do you have?
how many volts are your panels?  the reason I ask is my 435watt panels max out at 80v so if I wired them in series that would be 160v and I would have had to step up to the next controller.  the Morningstar controller I got TS-MPPT-60 tops out at 150v.

Dang that's a lot of panel.  what are you mounting it to?

oh yeah welcome

highdesertranger
Hi, tnx for the welcome and insight.  Thought I posted pix of my system but looks like my noobness struck again.  I'll try again.  Have a great one!

Miyaksue said:
Hi, tnx for the welcome and insight.  Thought I posted pix of my system but looks like my noobness struck again.  I'll try again.  Have a great one!
BTW I'm mounting them on a 40" trailer.  Already did!?

B and C said:
So you want to wire your batteries as a 24V DC bank?  You will be spending money on making that 24V DC turn to 12V DC so you can use regular 12V devices.  Maybe with that much solar you are going to try and run everything off 120V AC?

Oh, welcome.  Why don't you go to the newcomers corner so you can get a proper welcome.  https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3
Hi B.  Appreciate the input and welcome!  The money you spend on 24-12v converter is very marginal compared with the efficiencies and savings gained with a 24v system.  Trying to run a residential fridge and ac.  I know, that battery bank will have to be huge! 
Indeed, newcomers corner was my first stop.

tx2sturgis said:
With an odd number of high power panels, I'd be inclined to build a split system.

One set of three panels, driving a 24v controller and batteries in series for a 24v to 120v inverter...This would easily power heavy loads like a microwave, induction cooktop, etc.

The other set of two panels powering a 12v controller and a battery or two, for all the 12v loads such as LED lights, 12v pumps, laptop chargers, etc.

This would provide flexibility and redundancy, for very little extra cost, or it might actually be cheaper, depending on the one high dollar controller you would have to buy, compared to buying two, lower capacity controllers.

IB and C said:
So you want to wire your batteries as a 24V DC bank?  You will be spending money on making that 24V DC turn to 12V DC so you can use regular 12V devices.  Maybe with that much solar you are going to try and run everything off 120V AC?

Oh, welcome.  Why don't you go to the newcomers corner so you can get a proper welcome.  https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3
Hi B.  Appreciate the input and welcome!  The money you spend on 24-12v converter is very marginal compared with the efficiencies and savings gained with a 24v system.  Trying to run a residential fridge and ac.  I know, that battery bank will have to be huge! 

Miyaksue said:

An energy star residential fridge is about 1100 watt hours per day, which isn't that much more than the 700 watt hours a day a 65 quart 12 volt fridge takes, especially considering they are 3 times as big.

The bigger problem with residential fridges is that the vibrations from the road tend to kill them, and when they die you have to physically remove them from the rig to have them serviced. For that reason I personally think a residential fridge is a really bad idea. Look up the videos on youtube by Haylett RV on that topic. That dealership has completely quit selling residential fridges in RVs for that reason.

As far as an air conditioner, if you want to run it like you would in a house, figure $10000 or so at least for controllers and batteries. Covered this in another thread recently.

tx2sturgis said:

I believe there is a great chance I end up following this path.  Like you said, prolly even cheaper.  Thank you!

Miyaksue said:
Very insightful and tons of food for thought.  Thank you!
Have o bought your batteries, I am considering the 12v150 aH Lifepo batteries from Ohmmu. Good price  compared to BB.

I’m pretty sure that you have to have pairs of 12 volt panels Wired like 4 panels wired in parallel to get 24 volts not 3

The solar controller voltage is set by the batteries, not the panels. The controller just has to be able to handle the panels.

Miyaksue said:
Hi.  I have 5 400w panels and such controller I'd like to setup in a 24v system.  Can someone chime in on how to wire the panels together?
Any input much appreciated.

Sue..

Here is a link to a guru on all this.. he makes awesome videos and has enough  content to get you up to speed on watt you need to know to put together your system..  :cool: