4x4 not working

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ichiban

Reaction score
1604496245607.jpgI was adventuring around Pawnee National Grasslands so I tried to put my 07 F150 into 4h and nothing.  No sounds or lights.  I did a little searching online and found it may be my solenoid so I crawled under to look and it's pretty rough looking.  I will check fuses but I think it's going to be that solenoid.  I'm not even going to mess with it until I get to Oregon for work.  I could do it and will but if someone needs to make a few bucks I'd like to give them the chance.

Attachments

• 1604496245607.jpg
    1604496245607.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Yep you got bit by the electric doo dad. That would never happen with good old mechanical linkage. Let us know what happens.
Highdesertranger

Twin s tick is on order, 30 year old linkage is getting a new/old upgrade!

Hmmm, is that an electric operated system or vacuum actuated? Both systems are terrible. Electricity and vacuum also find a way to leak out and it's not good.

Ford and Chevy both use electronic solenoids. Dodge uses vacuum. Your right they both suck. It just blows my mind that people just can't reach down and operate a shifter. We are becoming a push button world and the problem with that is the buttons don't always work. Highdesertranger

Oh no, electrically activated vacuum solenoids! My arch nemesis! Shifters and levers are the way to go. Much easier to diagnose if something goes awry. You can spend hours chasing down electrical and vacuum gremlins. Manual gear boxes are also now the best theft deterrent for cars. Way better than car alarms, and cheaper to boot!

I seem to remember watching HDR jump out into the mud, and maybe light rain, to lock the hubs on his 4x4 at a past RTR.  I may have laughed at him.

I liked my 2008 Jeep, just shift into 4wd and go.

Haha, he must be new to it. You're supposed to engage your hubs before going into the mud.

If your camped when it starts to rain, maybe not. Putting them on when you camp and then trying to remember to disengage them upon leaving would be my problem.

My geo has the auto hubs which require it to be towed backwards. If I had manual hubs, it wouldn't be a problem. And no, the neutral on the 4WD just disengages from the transmission, not the driveline. Why they would engineer it that way is beyond me.

I have the 5.4 triton and it started misfiring outside Ogden, UT. I stopped to see what codes but none were showing up. It's the spark plugs rattling around. Sounds like a diesel. I changed them and coils in September but they are going to need a dealership tester to tell me which cylinder. I made it to Oregon though. I started in Indianapolis on the 27th. Took my time but happy to be here. Drove a lot today. I bought the truck from family 6 years ago and they gave me an incredible deal. I bought 2021 Honda Trail 125 in Dec. maybe I should have got a new truck....nah

highdesertranger said:
that's cool.  Who's did you get?  ORD?  Highdesertranger
Yep, I bought their frame support a while back for the steering box and they have to make them special order for the Frankenstein set up I have 4L80 with adaptor to 205 transfer case but soon!