40' RV too big?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the responses. I'm getting a 35' GM bus conversion. I plan to stay pretty close to civilization so that's my compromise between comfort and mobility. Can't wait to get going. At first I'm going to be hanging out at 1000 Trails camps to familiarize myself with all the systems. It may be a while before I get up the courage to go boondocking. Frankly, the thought of being by myself in the wilderness in pitch black night is creepy. Hey, I'm a city kid, I'm used to street lights. I hope to tag along with some folks to get my feet wet.

Geos said:
Thanks for all the responses. I'm getting a 35' GM bus conversion. I plan to stay pretty close to civilization so that's my compromise between comfort and mobility. Can't wait to get going. At first I'm going to be hanging out at 1000 Trails camps to familiarize myself with all the systems. It may be a while before I get up the courage to go boondocking. Frankly, the thought of being by myself in the wilderness in pitch black night is creepy. Hey, I'm a city kid, I'm used to street lights. I hope to tag along with some folks to get my feet wet.

That was one of the reasons that when I wasn't working I stayed in the cities unless I was going somewhere I knew other people would be around.

I've never quite mastered the art of enjoying being in the middle of nowhere alone.

That was one of the reasons that when I wasn't working I stayed in the cities unless I was going somewhere I knew other people would be around.

I've never quite mastered the art of enjoying being in the middle of nowhere alone.
[/quote] oops, managed to chop off par of the above quote from Off Grid 24/7, not sure how I managed that.

Middle of nowhere, alone. Hard to find in the modern world, but when you do it is Golden.

Civilization instills fear and paranoid in it's citizens in order to better control them. For some it's so deep that they can't be anywhere but around other people and cities.

For a million years we lived in nature but in the last 7000 years of civilization we've largely lost it. That's why we're all so fucked up, it's part of the "civilized" mind!
Bob

I live in a 40 ft skoolie. Has much higher clearance than the Eagle highway coach we used to have. Be aware that if you get a transit (RTS) those are made for city streets and set very low. Most all the public campgrounds we have stayed in in the East would have no problem handling the bus for both length and road clearance. The roof was not raised either. You can buy a fully converted skoolie on sites like Craigslist pretty cheap.

Looked at 40' DP's today. Wifey is starting to want one... Like the mid 2000's Monaco's...

Gotta admit on the used market the Class A RVs are a real bargain! Look what you get! If you need to carry a lot of stuff there is storage galore. Tires are expensive, don't leave that lot on old tires. If you drive a hundred miles it will cost you at 8 MPG. Frankly most RVs look alike, it is at the coach level that real design characteristics show the best, especially in the interior.

ZoNiE said:
What kind of GM Bus? RTS?

1957 4104 with 671 engine & 4spd Spicer. Considering my toad options. At 35' maybe I won't need one. I'll see how it feels.

ZoNiE said:
Looked at 40' DP's today. Wifey is starting to want one... Like the mid 2000's Monaco's...

If you're going upscale I would consider a truck based Super-C. Safer, better mpg, easier maintenance.

As the owner of a 40' diesel pusher, I would suggest that you buy the interior that best meets your needs.  If you're not comfortable inside your camper you will never be happy with it.  There is very little difference driving or moving around either a 35' or 40'.  You will be excluded from some campgrounds if you go over 35' but boon docking is going to be almost the same.  The extra 5' inside a 40 footer does add a lot of useable space.  Also determine how many slides you want/need.  I have three but wouldn't have minded if it had 4.  

After about 2007 the emissions crap on medium and large OTR diesels became very restrictive with particulate traps and complicated EGR systems among other things.  Especially on CAT motors.  CAT stopped making OTR motors around 2009 due to the emissions crap, many related warranty claims and reduced performance.  I'm currently running a CAT C-7 built in 2005 and installed in a 2006 camper.  It has been reliable and consistently gets 7.5 to 8.5 MPG towing my Jeep.  No one buys a large diesel camper for the fuel mileage.... LOL  My last gas rig got about 6 MPG.

Curvy roads and rough dirt roads are more dependent on your wheelbase and overhang.  All class A's sit pretty low.  I have taken mine into Death Valley both through Hwy 190 and via Trona Wildrose Rd, both signed with long vehicle restrictions.  I got through no problem.  You are bigger then almost anything out there.  Those pesky vans and cars will look out for you ... ;-)  No problem getting into this year's RTR either.

Good luck however you go

Gregg

Greg, you got in because we liked you, we weren't certain about your rig at all!! :)

Just kidding, the truth is I think we were jealous, it's a beauty! Heck, I'd be happy with your Jeep!
Bob

I've driven commercial vehicles for years and have driven straight trucks, log trucks when I was but a wee lad. It's amazing what one can do on the back roads with some skill, but just because I could get a long rig in there doesn't mean I want to. It isn't unusual to drive to the end of a road and find out there isn't a landing or any way to turn around. Then if you thought driving forward in a 40 footer was tough, try that backwards. I would suggest scouting the road first before going in. I've had to turn around because someone got stuck in the middle of the road and didn't have any way to get themselves unstuck. I cuss at them as I back down the road then cuss some more at the crick in my neck from driving backwards for so long. Lol.

Traveling is fun, but to drive such a huge rig for me would be the pits. I'd rather take less room and have more maneuverability. But that's me. There is nothing inherently wrong with a large RV on the back roads.

akrvbob said:
Greg, you got in because we liked you, we weren't certain about your rig at all!!  :)

Just kidding, the truth is I think we were jealous, it's a beauty! Heck, I'd be happy with your Jeep!
Bob

Hi Bob,

I've been quiet taking care of some medical issues but that is now fixed and behind me.

I'm flattered that I'm liked .....  :shy:  Many people I meet in the course of my work have another opposing opinion  :dodgy:

AZ along with most western states allow triple towing.  Flat tow a Jeep on a tow bar and hook your enclosed trailer to the back of the Jeep.  You'll have room for more solar panels :idea:

I am seriously considering hitching an 8' utility trailer behind my Jeep to carry my sidecar rig.  I can't back up with a flat tow anyway so it won't be much different.  Only problem is CA has this ridiculous 65' max length limit and that rig will be closer to 70'.

Did you ever decide if you're going to the northwest this summer?

Gregg

Canine said:
It isn't unusual to drive to the end of a road and find out there isn't a landing or any way to turn around. Then if you thought driving forward in a 40 footer was tough, try that backwards. I would suggest scouting the road first before going in. I've had to turn around because someone got stuck in the middle of the road and didn't have any way to get themselves unstuck. I cuss at them as I back down the road then cuss some more at the crick in my neck from driving backwards for so long. Lol.

That's when I teach my wife how to back up the camper ;)

Gregg

Another thing to consider is the HEIGHT of the rig. During our first and second dual sport rally/camp some years ago, we 'took over' a closed YMCA camp, courtesy of the management, as we brought them a lot of money during their 'off' time, and two of our members were staff. Man, those were good times! One couple, driving a large Class A, had no trouble with the length or width of the road, as it was smooth, wide and had long sweeping turns. Problem was overhanging trees! They barely got in, and got scraped a bit. So watch your height!

Greg, it's that star you wear--it dazzles some people and infuriates others! :)

My goodness I can't imagine a rig that long. Here I am about to start my summer journey and my little 6x10 cargo trailer is too long for me so I'm leaving it in storage for the next 3-6 months.

Yes, my plans are to spend at least 2-4 weeks at Rainer NP beginning in mud-July and then on up to Olympic NP for September.

I forget, are you near there?
Bob

akrvbob said:
Greg, it's that star you wear--it dazzles some people and infuriates others! :)

My goodness I can't imagine a rig that long. Here I am about to start my summer journey and my little 6x10 cargo trailer is too long for me so I'm leaving it in storage for the next 3-6 months.

Yes, my plans are to spend at least 2-4 weeks at Rainer NP beginning in mud-July and then on up to Olympic NP for September.

I forget, are you near there?
Bob

That star and a dollar will get me a senior coffee at "Mickey D's."  Without the star I'll get the same coffee for the same dollar ... LOL

I'm in So Cal but I'll take any excuse to run up to OR / WA.  Olympic NP  is an incredible place, coming from the desert southwest as we do, the rain forest is mind boggling.  I've never been to Ranier NP.

Did you pick up a hosting job between July and Sept?

No Pacific Northwest summer RTR this year?

Maybe we'll hook up later in the summer

Gregg

Latest posts