24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made it safely to Lake Havasu city BLM camping without any issues. Although I am sure I frustrated a number of people as I was driving no faster than 55mph most of the way. Of course people are also used to trailers being towed by smaller cars traveling at lower speeds in the hills and mountains.

Made it safely to Lake Havasu city BLM camping without any issues. Although I am sure I frustrated a number of people as I was driving no faster than 55mph most of the way. Of course people are also used to trailers being towed by smaller cars traveling at lower speeds in the hills and mountains.
I went to the Gulf Coast and back going 45 MPH... once in a blue moon I hit 50-ish. But I was mostly off the interstates.

The grocery store, Food City, I usually buy water at in lake Havasu city finally replaced their old worn out machines. Now they are dispensing alkaline water with electrolytes for 50 cents a gallon. A very good price and as I tend towards getting dehydrated easily I am very happy to have those extra electrolytes in my drinking water.

I love those saguaros with the curved arms that look like they're dancing. Of course the best ones are always on some portion of the road where you can't pull over!
Either the Tohono O'odham nation is very mysterious or I am a very inept tourist (I suspect the latter)(I seem to have the Not Wanting to Ask Directions chromosome). They are definitely not big on English-language signage (or in some cases, any signage. I guess if you have to ask...). I have been through Sells, AZ, twice now and I just can't find the restaurants mentioned on Tripadvisor, Yelp, etc. Some of them may be defunct, but all??? I found a sort of open-air food court with Mexican and Vietnamese food, blaring pretty good 1960s rock, then got lost a couple of times before finding the road to the museum, which is another 10 miles off the highway, then a few hundred yards down a bumpy dirt road, then a completely illegible sign ... then a spectacular modern building with a small but lovely, well displayed collection. A lot on tribal members' military contributions. Friendly staff.
It looked like maybe it was pretty new and still getting built out? There was an empty gift shop and staff said the walking trail "wasn't fixed up yet" but it was OK to walk around. There's a nice picnic pavilion but you'd have to bring your food with you.
Because it's so small I wouldn't necessarily recommend making a whole trip to see it, but if you're in the mood for a scenic desert drive, it would give you a good anchor point, and the drive is gorgeous.
saguaro.jpeg

Woke up to a much better forecast for the week ahead. No strong winds, just afternoon breezes which are desirable. Now I just need to decide if I want to stay at this campsite a while longer or move to higher elevation. Fortunately I do not have to make up my mind today, I still have 10 days left that I can stay but the afternoon temperatures are likely push me on into higher elevations. Plus I do miss the trees. 🌲 🌲

It is time for me to head to higher ground as I just saw a weather prediction of 101 degrees at Lake Havasu City for Monday April 22. I was already thinking of hitching up early tomorrow and that forecast just convinced me I really do need to get moving! Ihave not unpacked very many items, mostly just kitchen stuff so it won’t take more than an hour to organize, tie stuff down etc. I will hitch up early and head to Williams, AZ which is still fairly cool for temperatures, but not as cold as Flagstaff. Williams has plenty of dispersed NFS camping that is a reasonable distance from town. It is still mud season there 🥲

It hit 82 degrees here today, and that's about as hot as I want.

But 100 and two hot? No thank you. Smart move, literally. Lol

^^ We drove past you today.........your little red trailer up on the hill........We're in Needles tonight
There are two red trailers on the hill. The other one is closer to the drop off and more visible when coming up the hill.

Looking "Easterly" your UNIQUE pop-top was visible next-to-us....up the hill.....safe summer travels
Thanks hope your summer is great as well. One of these years I want to get back to the Oregon and Washington coast for the summer.

Fortunately I woke up very early this morning before sunrise. Time to finish packing and then hitching up as soon as it is light. An early start while it is cool and not windy, just right for moving up into the mountains.

Last edited:
It hit 82 degrees here today, and that's about as hot as I want.

But 100 and two hot? No thank you. Smart move, literally. Lol
Outskirts of Eugene, Oregon.
Froze last night, zero degrees Celsius/centigrade (or 32°f in the incomprehensible 'system' used by Americans).
An aside:
Can you imagine being an illegal, visiting fUSA, getting your free apartment and your debit-card loaded with thousands of fedbux each month...
... but the scoundrels require you to use that goofy American 'system' of weights-n-measures!
Your old prison cell in Venezuela or Guatamala would be starting to look pretty darn good...
The conversation:
Illegal : "How far is a 'mile'?"
Random American : "Well, [confidently] in round numbers, a mile is 5,240 feet... [wavering in confidence] wait, I think it could be 5,420 or maybe 5,640 feet?"
Illegal : "How far is a feet?"
Crowd (educated in American government schools) : "Well, in round numbers, a 'foot' is about twelve 'inches'... because the King said so."
Forty million illegals (in utter disbelief) : "AY, CARUMBA! Because del rey, El Vis say? No, no, no! Senor Presley es kaput! Esta es loco!"
Crowd (breaks into song) : "Wise men say, only fools rush in..."

The trip east on I-40 up into the mountains went great. One 30 minute long creep and crawl through a construction zone where they were working on a bridge.
I am now settled into a sunny spot in Kaibab NFS near the town of Williams. I actually got very lucky with this transition move and managed to find that all too elusive 70 degree sunny weather with a decently strong breeze in the afternoons and no rain in the 10 day forecast. The spot I am in will not be the best if it does start raining as it would get too muddy. But the rocky ground sites in this NFS area were all occupied. I will keep an eye out and see if one of those opens up this coming week. But for now this spot will do as rain is not in the forecast. I already had two visitors drop by to say hello while I was outside doing unhitching chores. One recognized my trailer from Lone Tree BLM as he had also stopped there. The other person was just inquiring if I had custom built my trailer. I get asked that a lot as it is a rare little vintage trailer that was only in production for a couple of years. Too bad it is not the highly prized and over priced kind of rare “barn find” vehicle. 🤣

Now I need to unpack my cutting machine and get set up to work as I am out of stock on some of the items I sell on Etsy including one item an order just came in for.

Last edited:
I did forget to mention I needed to get my down sleeping bag out for tonight 🥶. Not going to be below freezing but pretty chilly at night. The deciduous trees have not yet leafed out in Williams, AZ.

This higher elevation really gets the solar input supercharging my battery earlier in the morning. A very noticeable difference in Williams AZ versus Lake Havasu City AZ. Both campsites have full sun. Now my house battery is already topped back up to 100% around 6:30 am. I am awake but my internal battery is not yet fully recharged, not sure if that will even happen today, but hoping it will. I want to go into town and visit the hardware store for a few supplies. Then also cut some inventory for my Etsy store. Yesterday on my way out of this camping area I noticed a friend I had made last summer had pulled in next to where we were camped last fall. He is mellow and enjoyable company for a bit of visiting now and again. His dog is also very calm unless there are SQUIRRELS!!!!!

I do not know if this is of interest to anyone. It is just something I came across. Sam’s Club is having a sale in the annual membership fee. The regular membership is $14.00 and the Plus membership is $50.

I myself have no room to store bulk sized food purchases and do not have a freezer or need for a lot of household items and clothes but it might be of interest to some others reading this.

The trip east on I-40 up into the mountains went great. One 30 minute long creep and crawl through a construction zone where they were working on a bridge.
I am now settled into a sunny spot in Kaibab NFS near the town of Williams. I actually got very lucky with this transition move and managed to find that all too elusive 70 degree sunny weather with a decently strong breeze in the afternoons and no rain in the 10 day forecast. The spot I am in will not be the best if it does start raining as it would get too muddy. But the rocky ground sites in this NFS area were all occupied. I will keep an eye out and see if one of those opens up this coming week. But for now this spot will do as rain is not in the forecast. I already had two visitors drop by to say hello while I was outside doing unhitching chores. One recognized my trailer from Lone Tree BLM as he had also stopped there. The other person was just inquiring if I had custom built my trailer. I get asked that a lot as it is a rare little vintage trailer that was only in production for a couple of years. Too bad it is not the highly prized and over priced kind of rare “barn find” vehicle. 🤣

Now I need to unpack my cutting machine and get set up to work as I am out of stock on some of the items I sell on Etsy including one item an order just came in for.
Hello, Just a note on mud for you and others. I have been boondocking in N Arizona for two decades and have
an infallible rule about mud. If you are concerned about an area/road getting muddy, if you don't see evidence of
ruts from then past then it is not going to be muddy this season either. Not the type of soil and probably drains
well. No. 2- If there is a big puddle you are wondering if you should drive through, stop and grab a stick and
give a hard poke into the puddle to see if the bottom is hard. If it is, there is no mud, just water. Hope this helps.

BTW, are you camped just off of Hwy 64 past Kaibab campground? It is a pretty popular spot.