24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then you have people like this...

Woman-at-Yellowstone-National-Park-takes-selfie-inches-away-from-bison-at-1.jpg

I doubt she'd think twice about climbing up and trying to open the door to get the selfie.

lol!!! I was at a very remote landing strip when a couple pulled up in a fancy side by side and started doing a photo shoot which included climbing all over the plane we had just landed before I made them stop. Lots of stupid out there even in very remote areas!

lol!!! I was at a very remote landing strip when a couple pulled up in a fancy side by side and started doing a photo shoot which included climbing all over the plane we had just landed before I made them stop. Lots of stupid out there even in very remote areas!
You should have climbed on and in their side by side. Maybe found their snacks and helped yourself.

One year beef prices went crazy so I bought a Buffalo hunt on the Platte River Nebraska on Ebay for $500. It was a real hunt not a cage shoot. Took 2+ hours to find the herd by seeing their breath over a hill as it was cold. I set my oldest son in the edge of a woods with my 45/70 Contender & took my youngest son with the 35 Remington. We rounded a corner & there was the Huge bull I bet went 2500# looking at us with one eye & breathing steam. My oldest shot an 1100# cow but it didn't drop & took us a 1/2 hr to meet them coming our was so my youngest shot it with the 35 Rem pump right between the eyes & it dropped just like a sheet of plywood. They were 10 & 12. They gutted it & when we got home they shinned it out & did a great job. We got over 400# of the best burger & an adventure.

Got the entertainment of those interested in Earth Rosmers. Here is a YouTube video of a dramatic rescue of an Earth Roamer that almost slipped down a cliff. After a number of call to towing services they finally found someone who agreed to try getting it unstuck.

That is a great YouTube site does off road recoveries in southern Utah around Moab. Rabbitbush Repair and Recovery does them a little further west around Hanksville. Matt’s Off Road Recovery covers mainly the west corner of the state. All have YouTube channels that are fun to watch.

^ We camp some in Sisters OR.............Home for this guy

https://www.youtube.com/@CaseyLaDelle/videos

I learned about PLS from him......Public Land Stewards.....citizens working with the BLM to clean-up the Forest land
In this particular event in Bend....... 37 abandoned and burnt "rigs" were removed from the forest.....teams of volunteers picking up all traces of encampments......

^ We camp some in Sisters OR.............Home for this guy

https://www.youtube.com/@CaseyLaDelle/videos

I learned about PLS from him......Public Land Stewards.....citizens working with the BLM to clean-up the Forest land
In this particular event in Bend....... 37 abandoned and burnt "rigs" were removed from the forest.....teams of volunteers picking up all traces of encampments......
You know it hurts to see that. I can't imagine how desperate you'd have to be to stay in a filthy hulk like that. I also can't imagine owning something that expensive and just dumping it.

Thanks for posting this.

Casey LaDelle started a program of his own to help people. One of his first was a van recovery of a disabled veteran who eventually got into a tiny home community.

My windshield crack was slowly advancing a little more each day. I watched a few videos on using the Permatex crack and chip repair kit for stopping cracks. Quartzsite is very limited on supplies but day before yesterday I did find a Permatex windshieldchip repair kit at the hardware store. It uses the exact same resin type as the kit that is for chip repairs. I needed to improvise on creating the clear film that comes in the crack repair kit by cutting strips from clear thin, cellophane packaging on a dollar store item. The small bottle of resin in the chip repair kit had more than enough liquid to apply to the length of the crack. I followed the video instructions on the crack repair. The crack is still visible but yesterday and today the crack quit advancing in length even for a trip I took into town at 55mph speed plus a 20mph gust headwind on the way back to camp. That kind of trip previously advanced the length of the crack by about a 1/4”. Hopefully that will stabilize it for now until I get to a city with more resources for windshield replacement if that crack starts creeping further when I get into faster speed limits over 55mph combined with a possible headwind pressure. There was a mobile windshield replacement company around for the winter season in Quartzsite but they left before my crack damage happened. But now I can hopefully hang out in Quartzsite until it gets too hot for comfort which tends to coincide with the April 15th LTVA pass expiring. If needed I can replace the windshield in Lake Havasu City AZ or Kingman AZ both of which are on my route north for the summer months.

Last edited:
You know it hurts to see that. I can't imagine how desperate you'd have to be to stay in a filthy hulk like that. I also can't imagine owning something that expensive and just dumping it.

Thanks for posting this.
People get into situations where they are attached to what they own but have no funds to do a major repair. Or sometimes the spouse who had the income and physical abilities just walks away or even dies and leaves a partner stranded. Or you just get sick. It is all too easy to sink into a major depression under such circumstances. Depression and despair often kills motivation and the will to live. Self medication can further erode such things.

I hope I never get that low but realize I am not bullet proof from such feelings. It is very easy to just give up when life does not seem like it is worth living. Owning a nice motorhome does not protect persons from that emotional state. It happens to rich and poor individuals. It is a slow creeping suicide.

I think I should change my Facebook profile where it mentions where you work to state “Little As Possible”. Not just because I am lazy, which is often the case, but also because I make
miniature cardstock buildings to literally be “as little as possible”.
IMG_1513.jpeg

Last edited:
April Fools day brought a pleasant surprise. The heavy Verizon bandwidth users seem to have left the area. At my campsite I was able to stream a video on my cell phone during prime time evening hours. That is the first time since early December I could do that streaming stuff without a bunch of pauses in the stream.

I suppose it is not too surprising that it happened on the 1st day of April. A lot of the tent sales and RV park dwellers rent sites by the month so April 1st was a big moving day as was March 1st.

I think I should change my Facebook profile where it mentions where you work to state “Little As Possible”. Not just because I am lazy, which is often the case, but also because I make
miniature cardstock buildings to literally be “as little as possible”.
View attachment 35334
It's not laziness, it's work smarter not harder. I like your tiny house stuff. Have you gotten into the book nook stuff yet?

It's not laziness, it's work smarter not harder. I like your tiny house stuff. Have you gotten into the book nook stuff yet?
Absolute truth. While I was reading this I realized I had a shirt on that says "I'm not lazy. I just really enjoy doing nothing."

Made me laugh.

I do not have the space to store materials for producing larger stuff.

So I have a bunch of old license plates. When I move to a new state I never throw them away. Florida was the only state I've lived in that actually sent a letter afterward saying "you must return or destroy the license plate." So now, having spent 2.5 years thinking I really ought to think about that some more, I've got around to it.

I suppose if a bad actor got hold of those plates they could put one on a getaway car or something. (There's those little registration stickers but how hard would they be to counterfeit?) But no DMV has ever asked me to turn one over, and FL just sends that letter that's on the honor system.

I kind of enjoy having them but it's not like I do anything with them; they just live on top of the spare tire. Should I destroy them? if yes, how do you destroy a license plate? I went through some ridiculous contortions to break up the Florida one, it's too much work to do that to all of them.

Inquiring minds finally getting around to wishing to know.

I believe if they are not expired some states will refund the unused months? I usually just take a pair of cheap Harbor Freight manual metal shears and cut them up or use them under floor mats to cover up/patch rust holes.