24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The start of Atmospheric River Storm round 2 has now arrived in Quartzsite. The worst of the rains, along with thunder and lightning , won’t make it here until around 5pm. But tomorrow morning it will all be somewhere else keeping other campers indoors for the day.

Hopefully the people at Van Aid do not get a ton of rain today. Definetly not the ideal weather for doing build work. But sunny days are in the upcoming forecast so starting day after tomorrow and on through week 2, Van Aid should be a roar of activity taking place.

Frustrating yesterday. My fumble fingers and a brain cloud managed to get me locked out of my banking app and account and that disabled my debit card. Not enough cell speed to sort it out at camp. Too wild of weather for my liking to go into town. Oh well a trip into Quartzsite to a fast food joint near the cell tower and it is all sorted out now. At least I am out of the wind for a while, sun shining thru the window, beverage in hand. The small misadventure is over and I having a cup of coffee to celebrate while my laptop is h happily sipping on 110v power from the power plug next to my table.

Looks like there might be a break from the wind gust on Friday! I still have two more upper webbing tie down with D ring straps to add to the upper corners of my new screen room. It is easiest to stitch them on by hand with the tent tethered to the ground but partially collapsed. I can sit down in front of the corner I am sewing them to while that corner rest on my lap. Much easier than wrestling a greased pig!

I will have to wait till late tonight to see the video. Too slow of a cellular connection where I am camped in the daytime hours.

I had
I believe a few have mentioned this already. But if not, here's an article regarding some BLM closures in Arizona.
https://www.rvtravel.com/blm-closes-popular-boondocking-area-arizona-1143b/
I not heard of it but that is a sad thing to have happen. Especially hard on families who live in the area and like to go camping on weekends. Sure it impacts us full time nomads and the homeless but also those families who rely on it for low cost time with their children as a way to teach them the joys of camping. Closures near cities truly impact a very large amount of families who cannot afford to travel long distances for short breaks of a few days or a two week vacation. Taking away the only affordable options for family recreation in nature is a very big deal for quality of life.

Last edited:
Yesterday the wind was pretty calm so I took advantage of that and partially collapsed my hub style screen room so I could sit with the last two of the upper corners resting on my lap. I was able to then hand sew in place the webbing tie down with D rings straps into place on those corners. Just in time for today when a 180 shift in wind direction coming from the NE happened. I had stitched on the upper straps before the last of the two strong Atmosperic River storms out of the SW arrived.

Now all the upper corners are secured to handle winds that try to knock down and blow away tents and awnings. But I do have a 2’ long heavy bungee cord in my tie down lines. That and the flexible design of the hub style screen rooms and tents keeps them from ripping apart in sudden gust. One of these days when I am not lazy I will do a video clip of my screen room setup. But that will not happen until after I get the wind/rain side panels modified with long zippers.

An interesting intersection of two coincidences that led me to a light bulb moment should have occurred to me years ago.

The design of the hub style pop out screen rooms is a geodesic structure. Not a true dome shape but all those triangular sections created by the fiberglass rods under tension radiating from hubs are definitely creating a geodesic structure with a lot of strength and stability.

I was never big into the dome home thing but this evening I saw a YouTube video of someone making one out of cardboard to try camping in during the rain. so that film and then earlier today a visitor was standing with me looking at all those radiating rods under tension and admiring how well it worked. Then SNAP, this evening I suddenly understood my popup screen room for what it really is in terms of engineering and why they are so stable in the desert winds compared to other tent styles. Popup, hub style tents and screen rooms are designed using the principle of geodesics, for this instance a series of joined triangular structural shapes. It is not a true dome but that is not an essential factor for this use.

Last edited:
An interesting intersection of two coincidences that led me to a light bulb moment should have occurred to me years ago.

The design of the hub style pop out screen rooms is a geodesic structure. Not a true dome shape but all those triangular sections created by the fiberglass rods under tension radiating from hubs are definitely creating a geodesic structure with a lot of strength and stability.

I was never big into the dome home thing but this evening I saw a YouTube video of someone making one out of cardboard to try camping in during the rain. so that film and then earlier today a visitor was standing with me looking at all those radiating rods under tension and admiring how well it worked. Then SNAP, this evening I suddenly understood my popup screen room for what it really is in terms of engineering and why they are so stable in the desert winds compared to other tent styles. Popup, hub style tents and screen rooms are designed using the principle of geodesics, for this instance a series of joined triangular structural shapes. It is not a true dome but that is not an essential factor for this use.
Buckminster Fuller designed the geodesic dome and he taught at SIU, where I attended school. Here is a short article from the school newspaper about him (if interested):

https://dailyegyptian.com/92049/features/buckminster-fuller-southerns-innovator-and-inventor/

Excerpt:

His other inventions included the Dymaxion car, a progenitor to a possible “Omni-Medium Transport” which could traverse land, air and water.
Another was the Dymaxion house, a prototype building would have a rotating structure on top of the house. In theory, the structure would rotate around a central mast and have natural wind for cooling and air circulation.

“In April 1960 Buckminster Fuller assembled his geodesic dome home in Carbondale, Illinois and lived in it with his wife Anne until 1971,” according to the RBF Dome Home website. “Considered to be one of the strongest and most efficient structures known to humankind, the geodesic dome is Buckminster Fuller’s most enduring legacy.”

Fuller patented the dome home in 1954 as a solution to humanity’s need for safe, affordable and accessible housing, according to the site. “This original dome home was constructed by Pease Homes, a company who licensed Fuller’s 1954 patent in hopes of stimulating a dome home construction boom.”

He was born July 12, 1895 in Milton, Massachusetts. He attend Harvard University and was affiliated with the Adams House, a dormitory designed to provide high-end accommodations for wealthy Harvard undergraduates. He was expelled for spending all his money partying with a vaudeville troupe.

Later readmitted, Fuller got expelled again due to irresponsibility and a lack of interest.

^^^ why use an Egyptian news based story article regarding the history of a USA born citizen? That just seems odd to me.

Being a fan and life long student of architecture and design I am very familiar with Buckminister Fuller. I have also been inside a number of geodesic dome homes, greenhouses and public building spaces. I enjoy them but would not want to live in such a house or ever build one.

There are quite a few Geo Domes around. My most recent visit to one was the hardware store in the small Arizona town of Grand Canyon Junction. Heading to the South entrance of the Grand Canyon it is at the intersection of AZ hwy 64 and AZ hwy 180.

Yurts are tending to be the new thing. They often have an expanding lattice structure for the lower that upon expansion creates a diamond geometric shape and a hub in the roof creating a series of triangular shapes. So the hub style popup screen rooms also has some relationship to yurt structures as far as the roof structure goes.

The Dome tents are structures of tensioned hoops constrained in position at the ends and along the sides. So they have a common cross over point in the center.

Architecture is engineering dynamics and geometry in 3D. Great fun for the brain! Constraint of movement while keeping structure strong but lightweight is a good focus for Nomadic lifestyle environments be it tents or interior living spaces or making travel trailers or truck toppers.

Last edited:
Thinking about domes as a solution for housing gets my brain running. As I see it, the real problem is getting the land and abiding by local housing codes that discourage anything but traditional stick and brick construction. That and providing a solution to that might impact the value of land and homes other people might want to sell.

I think we need a new Homestead Act. There is a lot of unused land in places like Nevada which are now owned by the US government that could be used for this. And let people build anything or park anything they want. Even a teepee or yurt if that's what they want to live in. There were certainly no "codes" during the original Act. And it might at least reduce some of the homelessness we see out there.

For reference: "The Homestead Act of 1862 is perhaps one of the most important legislation adopted by the Congress. The Act issued 270 million acres, approximately 10% of the land mass, to the public."

The homestead act was created to relieve poverty. It did not work. It did not take too many decades to realize that but it took more than a hundred years for the government to stop trying to make it work.

As to codes for safe housing… Those are definitely needed, especially in cities where lots are small and lot lines put people close together. But the minimum size of houses could use some adjustments. That battle is one the Tiny house community has been actively pursuing with zoning laws for house and lot sizes as well as how many homes can be on a lot all across the country.

There are some exceptions around in cities as to the size of dwelling units. For instance in a commercial building there can be a caretakers unit that is much smaller than the standard required for apartments.

Another variation on that is a caretaker being allowed to stay on a property in an RV. Examples of that are places such as storage yards and facilities.

Agricultural properties can also get permission for an RV or Tiny house accommodation placed on the land for an “employee”.

But even with the homestead act the recipients had to “prove up” the property with a certain amount of time and build a dwelling space on it plus make some other provememts. No building codes back at the start but they did come along later. My first Mother-in-Law, my husband’s step mother lived in a home on land she homesteaded in Anchorage Alaska. Her first husband and she did sometime in the late1940s. Their home was built of concrete blocks with flat roof that was designed to support snow loads. He was the son of the owner of the local
Sand/gravel/concrete business. In fact part of the homestead land was monetized as a working gravel pit. When he died in a plane crash as a mother of school age children she financially had to sell off a big chunk of the land. Later due to a huge LID tax by the foot for a sewer line that the city chose to run the length of her property she had to sell more land. Early on she had donated a few acres to her church so they could build on it. Eventually the property left was just a few acres surrounding the house including a pond and some wetland that fed the pond. Her children inherited the property but they eventually sold and moved to smaller rural towns for a return to a simpler life on some small acreages in smaller communities. It was heartbreaking for them to grow up on a lovely piece of acreage with ponds and a stream, woods and wildlife and see it vanish piece by piece with the city crowding ever closer and traffic noise and trespassers crowding in on them.

Last edited:
^^^ why use an Egyptian news based story article regarding the history of a USA born citizen? That just seems odd to me.
~~~
Yurts are tending to be the new thing.
It's not an Egyptian news agency. It is the university newspaper. Southern Illinois is known as Little Egypt. Some towns were named for towns in Egypt. Ie. Cairo, Thebes, and Karnak. The SIU mascot is an Egyptian hunting dog: a Saluki

Re yurts, they have been around for thousands of years. They were popular among 'back to Earth' folks in the '60's amd 70's. Even before then, they were used for decades (and still are) in Israel. Typically on a kibbutz.

Yurts are especially associated with Mongol herders and hunters and were famously used by such figures as Genghis Khan (r. 1206-1227 CE).

Oregon, Washington and California all
have yurts available to camp in at some of the state parks. No need to go back to the ‘60’s to find them. They are very popular on the “left” coast and especially at the State Parks along the coast!

Lots of them in “glamping” resorts all over the country. There are a bunch of those in use on privately owned glamping campgrounds along hwy 64 South of the Grand Canyon National Park.

There are several companies in the Pacific NW who sell mail order Yurts to the Parks systems and to private individuals.

The homestead act was created to relieve poverty. It did not work. It did not take too many decades to realize that but it took more than a hundred years for the government to stop trying to make it work.

As to codes for safe housing… Those are definitely needed, especially in cities where lots are small and lot lines put people close together. But the minimum size of houses could use some adjustments. That battle is one the Tiny house community has been actively pursuing with zoning laws for house and lot sizes as well as how many homes can be on a lot all across the country.

There are some exceptions around in cities as to the size of dwelling units. For instance in a commercial building there can be a caretakers unit that is much smaller than the standard required for apartments.

Another variation on that is a caretaker being allowed to stay on a property in an RV. Examples of that are places such as storage yards and facilities.

Agricultural properties can also get permission for an RV or Tiny house accommodation placed on the land for an “employee”.

But even with the homestead act the recipients had to “prove up” the property with a certain amount of time and build a dwelling space on it plus make some other provememts. No building codes back at the start but they did come along later. My first Mother-in-Law, my husband’s step mother lived in a home on land she homesteaded in Anchorage Alaska. Her first husband and she did sometime in the late1940s. Their home was built of concrete blocks with flat roof that was designed to support snow loads. He was the son of the owner of the local
Sand/gravel/concrete business. In fact part of the homestead land was monetized as a working gravel pit. When he died in a plane crash as a mother of school age children she financially had to sell off a big chunk of the land. Later due to a huge LID tax by the foot for a sewer line that the city chose to run the length of her property she had to sell more land. Early on she had donated a few acres to her church so they could build on it. Eventually the property left was just a few acres surrounding the house including a pond and some wetland that fed the pond. Her children inherited the property but they eventually sold and moved to smaller rural towns for a return to a simpler life on some small acreages in smaller communities. It was heartbreaking for them to grow up on a lovely piece of acreage with ponds and a stream, woods and wildlife and see it vanish piece by piece with the city crowding ever closer and traffic noise and trespassers crowding in on them.
What good story , even though sad parts are there. I think many of us nomads are thinking about "Plan B".....where do
we want to end up if we need to / want to stop traveling or following the weather. In have met a couple of people who
want to buy land and start a community, including gardens and a community space. I would love to be part of a community, away from cities but near enough to basic services. Maybe at a middle elevation to avoid temperature extremes. In AZ and NM there are many elevations to choose from. Around 4500 FT would be a reasonable 4-season elevation.

What do some of you think about a Plan B? How many of you have thought much about this? What does yours look like?