24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To get rid of bruise discoloration very quickly take papaya based digestive enzymes. It will help breakup and flush the blood leakage out of the muscle and skin tissues. Bruise discoloration dissappears in days instead of taking weeks to go away. I have forgotten where I learned about doing that, it was quite a few years ago.

Papaya enzymes are what they use in the sprinkle on meat tenderizers. Of course you could eat a papaya a day for a while instead which is even nicer if you enjoy that fruit.

Water alone is not enough for quick recovery from dehydration. You also need electrolytes. Sugar helps electrolytes absorb more quickly which is why it is in all the rehydration formulas. Of course that means you can have a small sweat and salty snack or beverage on a hot day and consider it to be a preventative treatment : )

Another day...another repair. I was taking some things out to my screen room and the wind forecefully blew my trailer door all the way back against the wall. Then I noticed that slam caused the lower piece of dor trim aluminum extrusion to fall off. Hmmm... oh it was only secured in place with 2 very small screws. The wood they went into had rotted oiut at the holes. So I dug out the rot, filled it in with epoxy putty stick mafe for wood repair. Then I put in longer screws and added 3 more screw locations.

That door was alreafy on my list of needed improvements. I would like to rebuild it before winter. It is wood framed with aluminim skins on the inside and outside but there is no insulation in it. So it gets condensation on the inside aluminim skin in the winter time. Plus of course I realized that after 50 years there is quite likely some rot in its wood framing. It is also a bit warped so does not seal as well as I would like. But If need be it should last yet another winter in Arizona. Finding true, straight grain Douglas Fir is not going to be as easy in Arizona as it will be in the Pacific NW. It is very common to find the Pacific NW lumber yards where I can hand select among the pieces. So I will likely wait until I go back to WA State or even British Columbia to rebuild the door.

One of the main reasons I avoid permanently using metal fasteners in wood is it has been my experience that the metal screws draw moisture and the wood rots. Many woodworkers keep bee's wax around to lubricate wood screws before they install the screws, I wouldn't doubt it helps prevent moisture from affecting the wood as well.

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } H1 { margin-bottom: 0.08in } H1.western { font-family: "Times New Roman", serif } H1.cjk { font-family: "SimSun" } H1.ctl { font-family: "Mangal" } A:link { so-language: zxx } -->

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } H1 { margin-bottom: 0.08in } H1.western { font-family: "Times New Roman", serif } H1.cjk { font-family: "SimSun" } H1.ctl { font-family: "Mangal" } A:link { so-language: zxx } -->

Thor is “sold out” of RVs for 2021; order backlog totals $14 billion” https://www.rvtravel.com/thor-industries-sold-2021/ Headline caught my eye, reading is probably not worth your time unless you've deep pockets and are looking. I've noticed a nearby rv service center keeps accumulating old rv's in their lot, presumably to fix and sell.

I will put papaya enzymes on my shopping list... also electrolytes, which I had... but were lost in the fire. Thanks for suggestions.

Today is another lovely overcast cool day in the Klamath River Valley.

After I finished the door repair the wind was blowing up too much dust for a varnishing day so I decided to make a waterproof cover for my generator from material I bought last month. I got all the faric cut to size, ready to sew and went to the car and pulled my sewing machine out from behind the passenger seat. And then I discovered right behind it, hidden from sight...a paper towel with fresh mouse droppings and pee on it. My first stow away! My fault, day before yesterday when getting out the stuff to put up the screen room I forgot to close my car door. Plus I had not yet put my empty yogurt cup I ate while out on errands earlier into the trash. The rodent came right in for desert, there were droppings in the yogurt cup!

I just went to town to the grocery store where I got a couple of boxes of glue traps. They are now surrounding a few more desert treats. It might take a day or two but I will trap it. Glue traps are very effective. Fortunately not a long term infestation, and not an entry from under the engine compartment. I discovered the problem fairly quickly.

travelaround said:
Note to self: never leave van door open and unguarded.
Good plan!  I stopped a bird's nest in progress, and, as I recall, Swankie once encountered a racoon under her bed!  A friend of mine had pack rats stuff an entire bag of dog food into her Prius.  She discovered it because her wheel wouldn't turn all the way.  (I do love leaving the van doors open, I must admit.)

I saw the end result of a glue trap at work that traumatized me forever, I would never use those things as they're not humane. Peanut butter in a snap trap all the way.

I just stumbled across one of Bob's older videos about a retired woman living in a TAB teardrop trailer and I fell in love immediately. Bed, kitchen and wet bath. omg

The TAB are nice trailers, you should go get youself one.

Mice can be a very real health hazard. In areas of the SW they can be carriers of the Hanta Virus.

Fortunately having grown up spending summers on a farm I was not traumatized for life when dispensing the life of a rat I caught using a glue trap. I whacked its skull with a sledge hammer. I am not going to be leaving the mouse to suffer a lingering death.

Well, as long as you whack it ASAP. This mouse spent all night trying to get off the trap and the results were horrible.

I've been saving money for something, I wasn't sure what yet. Maybe it's one of those TAB trailers.

edit: How tall is your trailer inside, maki?

My neighbor usually uses glue and live traps as the fleas will stay with a live host. Then he drowns the mice by throwing the traps in a 5 gallon bucket of bleach water which kills the fleas as well. A good safe way to prevent getting the virus. It has been so hot here this week that he has to check the traps often or the mice die of heat exhaustion before he can put them in the bucket of bleach water allowing the fleas to spread. He was convinced yesterday the mice not caught had seen the mice he had caught suffer the day before as he had to work overtime because when he went to put more bleach water in the 5 gallon bucket there were several drowned in the bottom preferring to accept the inevitable and drown themselves rather than suffer in the traps. You just never know!

bullfrog said:
My neighbor usually uses glue and live traps as the fleas will stay with a live host.

Ugh, yeah.  That's something I didn't think about.  I don't think it's so much of a worry here, especially just getting a mouse once in a great while.

We had a couple good little thunderstorms here with a real gully washer in between. Which is nice. What isn't nice is, it's cherry season. The helicopters
were out flying low over the orchards as soon as the rain stopped even though it was dusk. There's a large orchard below where I am and he turned on
his big propane heater fans, look like windmills, sound like helicopters. I hope that rain burst didn't destroy too many cherries, it was pretty hard.

My trailer has 6' 4" of headroom in the kitchen area when the top is up. Have not measured the headroom anywhere else but you can't stand up in it. Plenty of headroom when sitting though.

As to screws in wood and moisture. I would never wax the screws or put wax into screw holes that I put into wood for use in my RV setup. Vibration can cause screws to back out of wood in an RV. I have had that happen to some in my interior area. Wax would lubricate the screw tjreads and make them even more prone to coming out of the wood.

Any screws I have put into areas that get moisture, especially the ones on the exterior, have the threads coated with butyl rubber putty. That seals the wood surfaces inside the screw holes. The excess putty pushes up the threads and seals under the screw head. I then remove any excess that spreads out on the surface around the screw hole. The butyl rubber also helps keep the screws from backng out from vibration as it remasins permanently sticky in the hole since it is not going to oxidise. Butyl rubber putty tape is considered a lifetime sealant material.

The sticky traps worked. Glad to get that problem cleared up so quickly.

Time to go to the boat ramp area at the lake and put tbe garbage into the dumpster. It is goi g to be a hot week so I will likely do a trash run every day. It is rather nice at the lake, no swimming allowed though. Great cell signal there as it is on a visual line of sight with a small nearby mountain that has a large grouping of communication towers up top.

A lake! What a nice place to spend time and use the internet! I'd be likely to spend hours in such a place.

Here near where I live there's a place downriver with good cellphone receptivity. I like to park in the shade near the Klamath River and sometimes will spend the afternoon there reading. There are fewer flying insects there.... it is a lovely place.

I pulled out the box with my vintage perfume collection in it and sprayed a little of something on my left wrist this morning so I could smell it all day and thought "Well, there's one thing that I wouldn't be able to bring into vanlife." Temperature extremes would be no bueno. :'(