24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrived ar my new campsite west of Flagstaff. Had fun chatting around the campfire with a caravan of other women. I will settle in here for a while. It is a bit further out from town but not a difficult drive. I will have to fo back to tiwn in a couple oof days to send out an Etsy order that came in this evening.

This morning I was lazy and did not get out to do my errands until close to noon. But that went surprisingly well as when I arrived at the Office Max store it was in a location where I coulld park and then walk to 3 other businesses and take care of other items on my list of supplies I need to finish up projects. But I did not stop at the Home Depot that was also close by at the east end of the Flagstaff area. There are only so many big box type of businesses I can tolerate going into in one day, 4 of them was more than enuough, go in, get what I needed and get back out ASAP. The most critical was Office Max as I was almost out of cardstock for the kits I cut and sell.

My new sdite has adequate solar as well as shade from the Ponderrosa Pines. I will set up my screen room in the morning and start on the last of the canvas work, sewing projects.

I've seen a lot of mention of Flagstaff lately but I saw a post on FB a few minutes ago and now I want to go so bad I can hardly stand it. If my rig was newer I'd be taking off for a couple weeks.

I just got hit with the travelling bug I think.

So far I can't really figure out what the town of Flagstaff itself is like as all I have experienced of it is brief excursions into it or across it getting supplies in the typical homogeneous nationwide stores.

NFS land near Flagstaff is not the place to go on the weekend if you are after a peacefull, quiet camping experiennce. There has, during the daytime this weekend, been a constant barrage of gunfire.

maki2 said:
So far I can't really figure out what the town of Flagstaff itself is like as all I have experienced of it is brief excursions into it or across it getting supplies in the typical homogeneous nationwide stores.

NFS land  near Flagstaff is not the place to go on the weekend if you are after a peacefull, quiet camping experiennce. There has, during the daytime this weekend, been a constant barrage of gunfire.

I havent been there in some time, but when I lived there, there were several popular places to go shoot, mostly in old abandoned cinder pits where there were good backstops. If you can locate the source, it may be a way to find another spot without the noise included. I enjoy an afternoon out shooting as much as anyone, but am not crazy about hearing the noise of others doing it when camping.

When I first saw your post I mis-read where you were, had my directions turned around (east....west,...whatever.... ), BUT, theres an actual shooting range east of town out south of I-40 by I think Cosnino Rd exit (Townsend-Winona Rd out of Flag). What you are hearing is probably just someplace on public land people go to shoot, not a developed range, though Im not positive.

^^It is NFS dispersed camping off hwy 180, 4 or so miles West of Port Valle.

Skipped the camp group excursion to the Grand Canyon. I had almost forgotten I had a date with my dear old Uncle Sam tomorrow. Had to get ready for that instead of going on a play date. I will be going to do boondock camping in that area several times this summer and fall so lots of other opportunities to explore that area. Just me and a little dog named Diego in the camp today. He is pretty good company.

I did get my shade coth tarps cut down and hemmed to match the length of the long sides of my trailer. Still need to add a few grommets in them, maybe I will get to that on Tuesday. It is an easy enough task. My list of sewing choresis still pretty long. I did haveto stop todzy and tune up the sewing macine. It is now running like a speed demon. The foot speed petal needed some corrosion removed from a couple of electrical contacts. That made a big difference! Simple fix, glad it was not a motor issue.

After Memorial Day look for Flag to get pretty busy. Since it's close to the GC, it sees quite a few tourists. Probably more than usual this summer since so many are itching to travel.

I've been dispersed camping outside the Grand Canyon (south) for 11 days. I'm going to drive 64 all the way through the park tomorrow to Cameron then on to Flagstaff to resupply at Wally World. That could really wait but I have to do some laundry. I hope the washers have a boil cycle.

Teaser pic below:
gcfb1.jpg

To give you some idea of the scale, those green dot thingys are full grown pine trees. Pic was taken at Grandview.

Attachments

• gcfb1.jpg
    gcfb1.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 16
The laundromat at Williams might be closer distance wise. It is a good laundromat, close enough to the stores to run errands or sightsee on the main street while your clothes go through cycles. They do have a Family Dollar store, a Safeway as well as a General Dollar store. The gas prices at the Cicle K are good.

maki2 said:
The laundromat at Williams might be closer distance wise. It is a good laundromat, close enough to the stores to run errands or sightsee on  the main street while your clothes go through cycles. They do have a Family Dollar store, a Safeway as well as a General Dollar store. The gas prices at the Cicle K are good.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I cancelled my pickup order at Walmart for today. Overslept and didn't feel like rushing. I have an Amazon order coming to a locker in Flagstaff Thursday so I have to head there anyway. Williams still hasn't gotten on the Amazon bandwagon unfortunately. Thanks[/font]

If you are planning on doing your laundry in flagstaff, try “ Estrella’s laundromat, rated 4.5, I tried and was very pleased with machines. My sheets and pillow cases dried in 8 minutes! Here is address
1800 N Main St, Flagstaff, AZ 86004

I did drive on old route 66 tbru old town Flagstaff today. I had to go into town to mmail out znd order and pickup a few groceries. I got back to camp and another order from my Etsy store came in so I will be going back to town again tomorrow or the day after. If I am in the mood I will park at the visitor center, which is also the Amtrak Station, and do a walking tour of the old town core area.

Lucked out in that there are postal boxes right in front of the Safeway grocery store. That is helpful because the water dispensing machine is also there. Three essentials at the same place, that is very convenient. Next trip into town I will also find a laundromat and figure out where the Amazon hub locker is. I plan to be around the Flagstaff area for a while in the summer months this next couple of years.

maki2 said:
 Next trip into town I will also find a laundromat and figure out where the Amazon hub locker is. I plan to be around the Flagstaff area for a while in the summer months this next couple of years.
I picked a Circle K. Sometimes the locations will come up 'full' so I picked the one I picked. They have a water machine at the location I chose, so that's an added plus. I prefer the lockers because at Circle K (at least the ones I've used) they're outside the store

Amazon location finder

I’m so tired of trying to get my ducks in a row....makes me wanna just do it and **** it ...see what the Universe has in store for me....ha

Don't worry. Some people take years to finally take the plunge. Or not.

It would be pure hell for me to wait much longer...nothing is working out... my ducks are scattered & the only choice is stay in hell where I have all the comforts or break free into the vast unknown....with a limited income & old car & diminishing health

Amazon lockers don't work for large items. Hub counters also have an advantage as you have a number of weeks before you have to pick up the item versus only 3 days.

Strong winds this next few days, gust tomorrow might reach 50 mph. The trees will absorb much of it. So the major issue will not so much things blowing away as falling branches and trees. I need to go into town to do shipping before the strongest winds arrive. The peak will be about 2 pm. Not towing my trailer, it will stayehind at the group campsite. Aboout 20 minutes drive to the Safeway where there is a row of blue USPS letter boxes. The first  2 miles are slow on a fairly well maintained graveled.

Gypsy108, quit worrying about when you will leave. Spend this next month focusing on setting up your Etsy store and filling it with jewelry. That is a step to improve your life that you have within your control. You could have it set up and running within the week. Instead of action you are letting worry run your life. Worry is your primary disability and it is blocking everything good from happening. I am banking $350. From my Etsy sales this week. Every week you put It off you are loosing out on income from an activity you love to do. FOCUS on what you can do that you love to do.