24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning. I got a lot of work done yesterday on reorganizing the cargo trailer and moving most of the boxes into it. I discovered that bed-on-the-wall thing that turns into a queen sized bed will also transform into a sofa, so it is a sofa now with room behind it for a few boxes. This week I should have the van empty enough to start on the walls.

Does anyone have any suggestions of good ways to attach wood to van walls and ceiling? Should I be putting bolts or screws through the metal of the van (not the outside metal, just the inside)??

I think for cabinetry I'm going to have to buy some ready-made from Home Depot or Ikea, something like that. But right now I'm not even looking for that as I have to do something about covering the insulation on the walls and ceiling. I've put this off for so long because I really don't understand how to do it and all the videos I watched about van conversion were not helpful for a clueless woodworking beginner like me.

I have always used self drilling screws and 1/8 inch plywood. the 1/8 ply is easy to conform to the arc in the van wall then just screw the ply to the ribs. I see people attaching slats or trying to make the walls flat, there is no need for all that. BTW I did van interiors for a living way back in the day of dinosaurs and that is how I was taught, I also did custom trucks, Limo's, and RV's they are all related as far as building.

highdesertranger

Hi TravelAround

I like to install RivNuts into the van's ribs for mounting strength.....In your Transit you'll find many already installed from the factory

Other names:    Rivet-nuts.....Plus-nuts.........."Threaded inserts in Metal".......

A brass fitting is inserted into a predrilled hole and then the fitting is expanded/crushed to grip the sides of the hole

This leaves a Machine threaded fitting ready to take a BOLT

A sheet metal screw has ONE thread engaged in the rib for holding power.....an insert and machine screw/bolt will have Many threads

Here's a 7 second animation of the fitting operation

TA,

I am pretty clueless when it comes to building things, but I did see a lot of cautionary tales in roughly used car lots and junk yards when I first starting looking for a van.  Three things stand out:  don't make it: 1) too hard, 2) too heavy, or 3) too expensive.  HDR's suggestions make a lot of sense.  Didn't Sofie use automotive carpet?

I am very excited for you!

Coldest nights of the year coming up, a bit early in the season for such temperatures.

I am a bit worried about both of my 2 vandweller lady friends. The one lady who left Elko is getting to southern climes, but tonight will be 16F where she's at, and about 20F for the next week. She's never in been in such cold temperatures before, but at least she got out of Elko (5F tonight). My lady friend in La Crosse has been living in her van for 3 years now, and usually migrates by time is gets cold, but she got stuck. Tomorrow night is forecast to be 22F there.

It's definitely a challenge to stay warm 24 hours a day in a van when the temps get way below freezing at night. Been there, done that.

Nature Lover

Don't be gone. Get back on this forum. Folks on here enjoy hearing from you.

Johnny

two schools of thought on attaching paneling to the intereior steel ribbing in a van.

1. directly screw the panel to the metal.
2. Install horizontal wood slats to the van structure and then screw the paneling to tosenpieces with screws.

You will make your decision as to which works best for you based on advatages versus disadvantages. Informed decisions will help you clarfy what is your best personal choice

Method 1 ...you get done faster and it cost less.

Method 2 advantage is you can place those horzontal boards in locations that make it easy to secure cabinets against theb walls as well as being able to put up some small rows book shelves, rows of hooks, wall pckets, lreading lights and such. It also makes it easynto run wires as there is a space between the horizontal slats for the wiresvto cross overbthevsteelbribs if thevvan. The 1/8" thick paneling on its own makes it difficult to do that as you are limited to theblocation of onlynthe vertical steelnribs to fasten heavier objects to.

I personally woulld be inclined to choose to put in horizontal wood slats even though I know it takes longer, cost a bit more and adds as little extra weight. That is because I need more options for increasing functionality now and in the future. But that is just me thinking out my own needs as I use my RV for working space as well as sleeping so an increase of functionality is critical but other people don't need as much flexibility.

You can always redo later what you put in now if you are in a hurry. You can also chooseto approach it one section at a time rather than tackling the whole van at once. Plus you can switch it up and maybe the side with the kitchen gets slats and the other side dies not. Think it through , you will come up with a plan and of course you can change your mind right in the middle of what you are working on. Giving yourself permission to make changes as you work lowers the stress of making "mistakes".

VanFan said:
TA,

I am pretty clueless when it comes to building things, but I did see a lot of cautionary tales in roughly used car lots and junk yards when I first starting looking for a van.  Three things stand out:  don't make it: 1) too hard, 2) too heavy, or 3) too expensive.  HDR's suggestions make a lot of sense.  Didn't Sofie use automotive carpet?

I am very excited for you!

I screwed ( and bolted some where possible) wood slats on the walls to attach furniture on.
Then I covered them all with automotive carpet. Auto carpet is VERY light, and headliner fabric is even lighter (for the ceiling. Both are glued on, and have stayed put fine.
Here are some pictures to see the process

IMG_20200721_112704.jpgIMG_20200721_112641.jpgheadliner.jpgIMG_20200712_204255.jpgIMG_20200721_122520 (2).jpgIMG_20200721_150415.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200721_112641.jpg
    IMG_20200721_112641.jpg
    1 MB
  • IMG_20200721_112704.jpg
    IMG_20200721_112704.jpg
    1.1 MB
  • IMG_20200721_122520 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200721_122520 (2).jpg
    428.9 KB
  • headliner.jpg
    headliner.jpg
    285.4 KB
  • IMG_20200712_204255.jpg
    IMG_20200712_204255.jpg
    423.3 KB
  • IMG_20200721_150415.jpg
    IMG_20200721_150415.jpg
    569.5 KB
nature lover said:
It’s been nice getting to know most of you. I’ll miss you. I’m gone
If you change your mind, we'll still be here and glad to see you come back.
Good luck with everything ahead.

If you are going to install rivet nuts the first thing you will do is put the panel uo by drilling holes and puttin in sheet metal screws. That is because you need the holes in the panel to line up exactly withe the location of each and every rivnut. Then you take the panel down and enlargebthe hole to the correctbsize for the rivnut to go into. It is a lot of extra labor and onlynwoth it if you need extra strength for a fastener location such as one on an extreme curvature area where the plywood is resting conforming to the wall of the van.

Of course if you dont install the plywood in the direction that easily flexes to conform to the curve of thevwall or roof then you are fighting a battle that does not need to be fought. So take that into consideration before you start cutting and installing wall paneling. Don't fight it, instead go with the natural flow and you won't need those rivetnuts except in areas of very tight curves.

Today is the first day it has been really pleasant here for about 6 months, high was in the 80's and it's about 70 degrees now. Had a rest day and watched my guru on the facebook feed. It was a good day. Tonight I will visit for a couple hours, and water the yard of someone I check on. Peace out ~crofter

^^OK......... But that's not what I do....I "fur" the van for the future hard or soft finishes...(Usually a staple gun hangs the final surface.)

HANGER BOLTS are temporarily screwed into the RivNuts to mark the back-of-the-board for accurate hole placement.....

Hold the board in place and Whack !......all the dimple/marks line up just waiting to be drilled

Thanks everyone for the advice... clues for the clueless... I want to get started on this in a few days. There's a Meeks lumber store here in town. I might go there tomorrow to see about getting what I need. I like the idea of trying each method.. one on each side of the van, to see what works best for me. Time to make a plan and just get started, maybe one small section at a time.

My insulation that was to be used for curtains burned in the fire. The curtains burned... so I'm wondering if it would work to put an insulation board between the cab of the van and the interior that I'll be living in. I think this will be an experimental construction project... may take years to get to where I'd like for it to be. Meanwhile, I have the cargo trailer... hope that lasts a long time. I took a nap on that bed in the cargo trailer today and it was much more comfortable than expected.

Having 2 beds is a nice option, then you are ready for an overnight guest, perhaps even  your son who might be missing his mom around Christmas time.

Getting down to 18F here tonight, about a record low for this date. I had some food stored in the outside closet, so just brought it inside.

In the mid 30s outside this morning. But warm inside. I just wok up and turned the heaat up. still dark outside but I heard rain on the roof just now. However it is predicted to be a sunny afternoon in the mid 50, so that is easy to dress for, a long sleeved shirt with a fleece pullover and a jacket for the morning and evening when outside. 

Travelaround you can use foam board or you could hang blankets as a divider instead of curtains.. Maybe the red cross worker can get some blankets for you. Blankets are the kind of item they stock  to give to people who have lost everything in the winter. You are going to use them to keep warm in winter in your new shelter space  so it is a legitimate request to make. You dont have to tell them they will be used as a curtain wall.  That use of them is still an essential for being warm at night this  winter. Tapping into ailable resources is being resouceful and that is essential right now. The less you have to buy and the easier to install the sooner you will be in your new nest.

It has warmed up in my own nest and now the sun is up so I will crawl out from under my blnkets and get started on my own tasks.

crofter said:
Today is the first day it has been really pleasant here for about 6 months, high was in the 80's and it's about 70 degrees now. Had a rest day and watched my guru on the facebook feed. It was a good day. Tonight I will visit for a couple hours, and water the yard of someone I check on. Peace out ~crofter
And the next day we had high winds with 3 advisories, and blowing dust. At least it is cooler. Wearing my flannel now.
~crofter

Latest posts