24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be enjoying 109 or so this week.
I would not be a Happy Camper if there was triple digit heat. A temp of low humidity 97 for a few hours in the afternoon had me camping out for the mid afternoon in the air conditioned public library in Lake Havasu City. The day after that I spent the afternoon in the air conditioned laundromat. The last afternoon of that mini heatwave it was in two fast food places and very slowly shopping at Walmart 🤣 plus of course the drive time in my car that has AC.

There is a prediction of a few days, including today, for afternoon highs of 85. I think I might take a relatively short drive and check out a potential NFS road for a good dispersed campsite in the Kaibab NFS district. I need to move camp to a different forest district in another 7 days. There are plenty of options I have used before but it would be good to have a new alternative that is still close enough for a not too long drive into Flagstaff in case I need to order stuff from Amazon or get some items shipped to a UPS store that are oversized for a locker or stuff like paint for my travel trailer.

Last edited:
Thunderstorms today meant it never got anywhere close to 85 degrees this afternoon, instead it is cool enough I needed to put on my fleece pullover. Also the rain has soaked the ground making it muddy in spots. I was thinking of hitching up this afternoon so I could get an early start in the morning. However the idea of getting stuff muddy and putting it in my tow vehicle is not appealing. I am in no hurry to leave, my 14 day move does not have to happen until Thursday morning.

It is cold enough that this evening I think I will cook a hot meal that is best to simmer on the stove for a little while to warm up my trailer. Just a Mexican chili stew variation I make now and again as it is quick, easy and tasty.

Woke up to a what feels like a very chilly morning. Then I thought, it’s September already and I am not even close to wanting summer to be over. Of course I realized there was a quick cure for my mini moment of discontent. I opened my weather app and took a look at today’s forecast for Lake Havasu City where I could easily drive to and be there for lunch. The high temperature in Lake Havasu City will be 107 degrees today! My discontent with the morning chill in the Arizona high country vanished with just looking at that triple digit weather report!

I spent a few hours in Quartzsite today checking on my rig there. It is HOT!!! As I told my neighbor, who is pretty much done with the heat as he's been there all summer in his motorhome, I would rather be in Q now but I'll stay up where it is cooler until it is bearable there. The folks I talked to said it is the hottest summer they have ever experienced. One neighbor who uses his roof top AC units to keep his motorhome cool rather than portable or window units had an electric bill over $500 last month.

Then up here at elevation, my blanket isn't enough to sleep now. For the first time this year I will need to add a second blanket or turn on the furnace. Furnace eats propane, so more layers on the bed and on me and cuddle close with the dog and cat is the plan for a few more days.

I spent a few hours in Quartzsite today checking on my rig there. It is HOT!!! As I told my neighbor, who is pretty much done with the heat as he's been there all summer in his motorhome, I would rather be in Q now but I'll stay up where it is cooler until it is bearable there. The folks I talked to said it is the hottest summer they have ever experienced. One neighbor who uses his roof top AC units to keep his motorhome cool rather than portable or window units had an electric bill over $500 last month.

Then up here at elevation, my blanket isn't enough to sleep now. For the first time this year I will need to add a second blanket or turn on the furnace. Furnace eats propane, so more layers on the bed and on me and cuddle close with the dog and cat is the plan for a few more days.
Head to the thrift store for a microfiber blanket of two. When not in use they can fit underneath for an extra mattress pad or fold up inside a pillow case. Warm but not bulky and easy to wash. I have 3 of them on my bed right now, one is a larger width and is doubled over for a 4th layer this last couple of nights. My down sleeping bag is still in off season storage in its compression sack stored under the bed.

Thunderstorm with noisy rumbles, lightning and strong wind gust and some rain just rolled in overhead. I had to pull down my popup top. The heavy cloud layer is going to knock out my reliable cellular tower internet connection for a while. So back to reading my ebook with breaks for a few indoor chores.

There is hope on the horizon, some current ten day forecasts now have two to three days of the current triple digit highs, then a few days in the nineties, then the eighties arrive.

Tonopah, NV is already in the upper 80's with more cooling on the way.

WAYNE........Do you know anything about Spicer Ranch in Beatty ?.....checking it out in a couple weeks
Not by that name. It is a major mountain biking area. The turn is at Boiling Pot Road, that area of Beatty has a few hot springs. I am curious about the bike trails, but my fat tire 21 speed Sumo bike needs the gears adjusted and I need practice on a gravity powered bike. Not looking to be entertainment for the young'uns.

This link might be more appropriate for you.

https://www.beerbikesandcampfires.com/2024/04/09/spicer-ranch-ride/

There is a sign for the left turn off US-95 at the road. It's the only road going off of US-95 in that direction that doesn't end at a security gate for a Defense Department Secure Facility.

Spicer Ranch. 1 Boiling Pot Road, Beatty, NV 89003. (775) 553-2424. Hours & Admission. Transformed by longtime Beatty resident David Spicer, say hello to the largest mountain biking trails network in southwestern Nevada. A new addition to Beatty's growing outdoor recreation scene, this 120-acre working ranch is complete with cows, horses, all ...

https://www.trailforks.com/region/spicer-ranch/

Trail maps at that web site.

It sure felt like a long day getting packed up and moving to one of my favorite campsites in Arizona. Not that I did not enjoy the last one as it had very nice views of the forest and some wildflowers out my windows.

Fortunately, as I had hoped, no one was occupying the campsite I like to stay in while visiting the Grand Canyon South Rim area. The crowds are mostly gone after Labor Day and September has some of the best camping weather. July and August are way too hot and rainy. It is pretty breezy today but except for the 20 miles on I-40 where there was a crosswind out of the SW I had a tail wind all the way north on I-64 and not much traffic either!

I am too tired to bother unhitching tonight and I want to check the suns position on my solar panel in the morning before I settle into my final spot. There are trees at this campsite but it does have enough cleared areas that I can get sun most of the day. I just want to be sure to catch that early morning sun as best as I can but not get too hot in the late afternoon.

Tomorrow I will head into the park, fill up my water jugs, take a relatively cheap shower, mail out an Etsy order, etc. it will be pretty breezy with some strong 30mph wind gust so not a good day for a sightseeing visit along the canyon’s rim walk. The temperature will start dropping down within a week heading into the mid to lower 30s at night by October so I will enjoy this next few weeks before I start migrating out of the Arizona high country.

High temp today of 84 was fantastic. A full 9 degrees than it was yesterday. Consistent miss to low 80s this week has me thinking I might be able to get things done finally.

Went to the dentist to get a crown. They did a scan, then sent that info to the attached CNC type machine and made it on the spot. Then they had to fire it, similar to a kiln I think. Total time from scan to install was around an hour. No funky silly putty impressions to make and send out.

Color me impressed.

I got my parking spot just right when I pulled in to my camping area yesterday afternoon. I have plenty of sunshine on my solar panel this morning and it will last until late afternoon. My trailer is leveled side to side without needing leveling blocks under a tire.

Time for breakfast and then the unhitching routine. Then I have to get my inkjet printer setup and create a shipping label for an order I want to take to the postal box. I can either go into the NP to the post office inside or I can drive a shorter distance into Tusayan where there is a USPS blue drop box in front of the little general store. I suspect I will take the easiest option today with the least effort required!

I need get my sleeping bag out of storage. This area in Arizona high country has now transitioned into having two seasons within the same day. There are warm sunny days in the lower 80s and very chilly early mornings in the low 40s and upper 30s. I will be waking up around 2am needing to pull more warm bed coverings over me. Of course I am not even close to “roughing it” camping conditions, but waking up cold at 2:00am leaves me pretty achy from the tight muscles that the cold brings on. (Note that I do not want to run an electric blanket and I am not in need medical advice🥱 )

I woke up to a much for favorable weather report than the one I looked at just before I went to sleep. No strong wind gust or rain this weekend! I am going to go into town for a quick trash and drinking water run and then a Mocha Cafe Frosty treat at Wendy’s followed by getting to work making inventory for my Etsy store. Now that I have more blue sky weather without it being too hot at mid day I need to put a push on getting work done. There is also a reliable Verizon 24/7 cell signal at this location so I can download plenty of audio books to listen to while I work.

Last edited:
Layers. Thermal underwear, complete set, Outerwear is thick, heavyweight Carhartt fire resistant coveralls. Keep them on until I warm up.

Yesterday, on my way down from Tonopah on US-95, I was passed by a couple of AZ NFS Fire Crew pickups heading home, I would guess. Good sign.

Greatest temperature range between night and day I ever experienced was in Fort Wingate New Mexico right on the Continental Divide, one reason I chose Arizona over New Mexico for a home base.

Even after almost 40 years of living in Arizona I continue to be amazed at the 30 deg F temperature difference between the daily high and low. And this is a consistent difference no matter what season it is. Only time there is less than a 30 degree difference is when it is overcast.

Latest posts