24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is ALL yogurt has probiotics develop as part of the fermentation process for making it. Kefir is supposed to have higher levels of probiotics created during fermentation...
Your understanding is partially accurate.
Some commercial yoghurt is pasteurized, pretty much nullifying anything living.
Other factories add specific cultures after treatment of their dairy products.
That label might say 'Living Cultures'.
Instead of dairy from cows, I make yoghurt from cashews or coconut.
I got the idea after reading labels at the yoghurt chiller in the grocery store.
Other fermented foods include sauerkraut.
I have a massive slug of the stuff before each meal.
Apparently, bitterness triggers a release of digestion enzymes.
As we age past about 30yo, our digestion slows, and we get less nutrients from food.
Are you considering supplementing with HCL?
An aside:
If you are near Natural Grocers, check into their classes and workshops.
For years, I was a guest presenter, discussing nutrition, cooking, and animal husbandry.
Many Natural Grocers classes have samples of that session's cooking demonstration.
On your lucky day, you might share samples designed for fifty students...
... but only a handful of dedicated learners show.
Highly recommended:
* A couple times a year, Natural Grocers has HEALTH BY CHOCOLATE, a meditative workshop about the benefits of different types of chocolate.
Do you think you could stand dozens of different chocolate samples from different sources around this particular planet!
www.naturalgrocers.com/events/health-chocolate-237
If you need a chaperone, I can be available to supervise and support.
Call me, OK?

^^^ I know it really is disgusting. But not as disgusting as the monsoon season in Arizona being officially over in just another 3 weeks!

VB,
I mean nothing by this, but what is your first language?
^^^
It is understandable you are confused because the words chocolate and cocoa are not English.

Last edited:
My understanding is ALL yogurt has probiotics develop as part of the fermentation process for making it. Kefir is supposed to have higher levels of probiotics created during fermentation than yogurt. I like yogurt but I typically eat it as a snack right after buying it while sitting in the parking lot. Definitely a first aid rescue tratment. Who doesn’t need an immediate reward and the calcium mellowing treatment after shopping at Walmart🤣
I believe that. Is true like candy bars and a salad both have nutritional value...How much is a different story...some yogurts are WAY WAY better than others 😉

I believe that. Is true like candy bars and a salad both have nutritional value...How much is a different story...some yogurts are WAY WAY better than others 😉
Sugar is made from vegetables🤣If you are lying in a hospital and can’t eat then you are given sugar in a liquid form via an IV drip, it most definitely has excellent nutritional value. If the sugar level in your blood gets too low you die 😢

There are lots of nutrition dense salads around to choose from, some are WAY WAY better than others. 🙂

Last edited:
All this talk has me concerned, so I think I need to restock my probiotics... ;)

Looks like I will be working on Labor Day. It has been a decent weekend of sales in my Etsy store. Hopefully that trend continues as my travel trailer license tabs come due next month and I want to set aside funds for the BLM LTVA season pass. If it is a busy September for sales it is much easier for me to Camp just outside of Tusayan AZ as I am just under a mile distance to a blue USPS drop box while being in a nice dispersed campsite.

But I likely will not be moving to Tusayan for another 10 days or so. Tusayan is still in the mid to upper 80s for a high temp on most days in the 10 day forecast. That will change pretty quickly though and it will be just right for hopefully several more weeks after that. In early October there will be 32 degree nights there and I will start migrating either West or South, out of the high country.

Last edited:
Sugar is made from vegetables🤣If you are lying in a hospital and can’t eat then you are given sugar in a liquid form via an IV drip, it most definitely has excellent nutritional value. If the sugar level in your blood gets too low you die 😢

There are lots of nutrition dense salads around to choose from, some are WAY WAY better than others. 🙂
It's all a balance for sure..although sugar in our society is one of the biggest poisons

It's all a balance for sure..although sugar in our society is one of the biggest poisons
Sugar is not a poison. Stress is the poison. Stress causes a lot of the over indulgence in foods. “Comfort foods”.
Sweets are high on the list of comfort foods as they are used as rewards for good behavior in childhood and treats are associated with good times and being given for comfort in bad times. Toss in being denied for bad behavior and you get a real psychological mess centered around sugar consumption. Plus we actually do need to have sugar to survive so carbohydrate cravings are a real thing. We also need salts and fats so we crave and over indulge in those as “comfort foods” as well.

Bring on the salted caramel ice cream! Evil people invented that just to tempt me with sugar, salt and fats all in one🤣 Fortunately I do not have space or the power for a 12v, dual zone, compressor fridge-freezer. All I can say is that food flavor scientists are truly evil people! A scourge on society🤬

Last edited:
Sugar is not a poison. Stress is the poison. Stress causes a lot of the over indulgence in foods. “Comfort foods”.
Sweets are high on the list of comfort foods as they are used as rewards for good behavior in childhood and treats are associated with good times and being given for comfort in bad times. Toss in being denied for bad behavior and you get a real psychological mess centered around sugar consumption. Plus we actually do need to have sugar to survive so carbohydrate cravings are a real thing. We also need salts and fats so we crave and over indulge in those as “comfort foods” as well.

Bring on the salted caramel ice cream! Evil people invented that just to tempt me with sugar, salt and fats all in one🤣 Fortunately I do not have space or the power for a 12v, dual zone, compressor fridge-freezer. All I can say is that food flavor scientists are truly evil people! A scourge on society🤬
Back in the day the Brits in India decided to feed cattle sugar...they all died..but we're on 2 different levels..one funny other serious..you eat what you want..all good

Silly Brits, I guess they were just in a hurry and wanted to invent “fast food”.

Grass has lots of natural sugars.
Pure Cane sugar is made from grass.🤣

Oh well time for me to get to work. I need to go to town to ship out Etsy orders. I thought I was all set and had everything cut and packaged for going to town but a new order notice greeted me when I turned on my cell on one this morning. I was out of stock so it is time to setup to cut and package. The daily mail truck schedule in Flagstaff that heads to the regional sorting facility in Phoenix means I have until 5 in the afternoon to get to the post office on week days.

A sunny morning so I already have my house battery at 100%. I will cut that cardstock kit plus another half dozen of the same since the cutting pattern will be “locked and loaded” into the memory of the vinyl cutter. The kit I am cutting today assembles to make this set of very tiny cardstock buildings. An old world European town street scene. Think Victorian Christmas Card images with snow and glitter but done as a miniature 3D scene. 🙂 Fortunately a lot of people love to put kits together and love tiny stuff. These are precision cut with all the folds also precisely pre-creased.
IMG_0979.jpeg

Silly Brits, I guess they were just in a hurry and wanted to invent “fast food”.

Grass has lots of natural sugars.
Pure Cane sugar is made from grass.🤣

Oh well time for me to get to work. I need to go to town to ship out Etsy orders. I thought I was all set and had everything cut and packaged for going to town but a new order notice greeted me when I turned on my cell on one this morning. I was out of stock so it is time to setup to cut and package. The daily mail truck schedule in Flagstaff that heads to the regional sorting facility in Phoenix means I have until 5 in the afternoon to get to the post office on week days.

A sunny morning so I already have my house battery at 100%. I will cut that cardstock kit plus another half dozen of the same since the cutting pattern will be “locked and loaded” into the memory of the vinyl cutter. The kit I am cutting today assembles to make this set of very tiny cardstock buildings. An old world European town street scene. Think Victorian Christmas Card images with snow and glitter but done as a miniature 3D scene. 🙂 Fortunately a lot of people love to put kits together and love tiny stuff. These are precision cut with all the folds also precisely pre-creased.
View attachment 36282
Sounds pretty cool the kits..glad you're getting the orders!!

Sounds pretty cool the kits..glad you're getting the orders!!
Been going strong since 2011! But the best year was 2020 and winter of 2021 with people staying home during the Covid shut down being bored and looking for crafts to work on.

The west coast heat wave will not be too bad here near Flagstaff. The high temperatures will rise into the lower to mid 80s for a few days and then drop back down into the 70s. A little warmer than normal for September but no high heat stress health warnings and wildfires alerts situation.

The news showed lots of traffic jams on Labor Day on Hwy 17 southbound from Flagstaff heading towards Phoenix. The activity of the off-road vehicles around my campsite was a fraction of noise on Monday compared to Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Of course when I was younger and working a 40 hour job those 3 day weekends and 2 day weekends were something to really look forward to. Now the opposite feeling is true for me as they bring a lot of noise into my mostly peaceful campsite. I do get logging truck traffic noise but that is just occasional, not constant.

Last edited:
The west coast heat wave will not be too bad here near Flagstaff. The high temperatures will rise into the lower to mid 80s for a few days and then drop back down into the 70s. A little warmer than normal but no high heat stress health warnings and wildfires alerts situation.
I'll be enjoying 109 or so this week.