24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lower? I think more likely that they are just closer (assuming the wind is blowing towards you...)

I've always found it odd that sand dunes seem to get bigger but not blow away altogether.
Sounds like the same concept as snowdrifts... just when I’m hoping the snowpack is going down they are getting another foot back home. Was hoping for a snowless maple syrup season...

Lower? I think more likely that they are just closer (assuming the wind is blowing towards you...)

I've always found it odd that sand dunes seem to get bigger but not blow away altogether.
Some of the sand dunes ended up inside my travel trailer on the floor and on my counters and of course every other exposed horizontal surface. The hazards of needing to have some fresh air coming in.

Going to be 30mph gust today. I want/need to go to town to pick up a 2 quart pressure cooker I ordered from Amazon. I do not need a large sized pot but I have found any smaller than 2 quart does not give enough head space for things that foam a bit while cooking. But local stores do not carry that size of pots, so Amazon it is. Homemade soups and stews including chili are soon to be on the menu!

Some of the sand dunes ended up inside my travel trailer on the floor and on my counters and of course every other exposed horizontal surface. The hazards of needing to have some fresh air coming in.

Going to be 30mph gust today. I want/need to go to town to pick up a 2 quart pressure cooker I ordered from Amazon. I do not need a large sized pot but I have found any smaller than 2 quart does not give enough head space for things that foam a bit while cooking. But local stores do not carry that size of pots, so Amazon it is. Homemade soups and stews including chili are soon to be on the menu!
This is what I used to hate about camping at Glamis/Imperial Sand Dunes... I hate not having fresh air coming in and no matter what you do you can't seem to put a fine enough mesh or screen to stop the sand... gets everywhere. Food, hair, every crack and crevice, every corner in the vehicle. Big reason not to put carpet in an RV if you camp where there is wind and sand...

Ben, now you have done it, you made me hanker for some maple Walnut fudge.

Oh well, maybe the Easter Bunny will put some in my (grocery) basket this year. I miss the excitement of being a kid and getting a basket of treats on Easter morning as well as the thrill of the egg hunt, a new dress for church etc. or even making Easter memories for my son. He loved hunting for eggs as well. As one of 5 siblings we enjoyed it so much we colored rocks with crayons and took turns hiding them as a game. Plastic eggs were not common back then so rocks were what we used.

Last edited:
Ben, now you have done it, you made me hanker for some maple Walnut fudge.

Oh well, maybe the Easter Bunny will put some in my (grocery) basket this year. I miss the excitement of being a kid and getting a basket of treats on Easter morning as well as the thrill of the egg hunt, a new dress for church etc. or even making Easter memories for my son. He loved hunting for eggs as well. As one of 5 siblings we enjoyed it so much we colored rocks with crayons and took turns hiding them as a game. Plastic eggs were not common back then so rocks were what we used.
Around here we 'hide' hearts for Valentines Day, ornaments for Xmas and etc etc...

I been watching the weather channel and looks like you are all cold and windy and yuck. Stay safe and warm out there...

Don’t no what to say about weather…….?
A96D2D93-1C7B-4C92-91CA-BFD7E0B6B368.jpeg

Few hours ago. 83 degrees; slight tropical southerly breeze, not a cloud in the sky and haven’t ever seen the Atlantic Ocean much calmer……

Great day 2 b alive!
Thaz wha jonny boi thinkin

Definitely one of the wettest winters Tucson has had in many years. I use a clothes line and for the first time in 10 years considering a dryer. I will probably just try to use my kids dryer instead. Good excuse for a visit. Not that I need one.

Yes this week temperatures will definetly be on the cool side of normal for Yuma, AZ at this time of year. Nothing I am going to do about that other than making the best of it.

My chore list of task items needing fair weather has me getting a bit impatient for a several week long string of calm, warm, sunny days. It feels like it has been a long time since I have seen that kind of weather. Maybe next month?

Decided to fire up my diesel heater/cooktop this morning. It has had gremlins off and on. Tracked it down this morning to being the RJ45 connector. As was predicted by forum members Brian aka B&C, thanks Brian, knight riding in an all white steed, rescuer of damsels in distress.

I will send an email off to the Seattle dealer and ask to be emailed a copy of the color coded wiring diagram for that plugs so that I can replace it myself. I am not really a damsel in distress for fixing it as I have replaced a number of those connectors over the years. But my crimper is in Seattle as is my stash of RJ connectors. Fortunately Home Depot is only about 15 minutes away and they sell the crimping tool and connectors. Oh well at least I have the ability fix it myself versus having to hire someone. In the meantime jiggling ithe plug worked for today, my heater fired up and I am now warm and cozy without having to wait on the sun to get around to being high enough. Time to make oatmeal for breakfast!

Last edited:
You can wedge a very thin piece of card stock next to the connector to hold it in place.

Card stock, something like the box a tube of toothpaste comes in will do the trick. There are a few other ways to keep an rj45 from wiggling around it that's the problem.

^^^Thanks for the idea but that plug is located in an area adjacent to the diesel combustion chamber. So cardboard is not a suitable fix in that particular location, it is inside the no combustibles zone per the manufacturer’s documentation.

That wiring harness cable is pretty easy to access and work on. Lots of extra length on the cable as well. I can set that plug and wire up on the counter while I put a new plug onto it. Next week’s chore list 🙂

Last edited:
Dealt with cat 5 for years before wireless was born and worth doing.

Always hated terminating the ends for some reason. I always had my guys run it lol

No one should be concerned about my ability to do my own wiring. During my prior career working at Boeing while recovering from back surgery, when I could not do a lot of bending and twisting work out on the planes, I transferred into their wire shop for a year or so where I received professional training and certifications for building wire bundles including stripping, crimping many different types of wire terminals as well as doing soldering work. Plus we had to test the wire bundles for proper continuity. Out on the airplanes I used to do pre-inspection work on the wiring installations on the plane to make sure everything was installed to specifications such as properly routed, clamped, no pinched wires, etc. It all had to be perfect and that is what I was trained for, doing the job to high standards and I have the patience for it. I also had to get certified to install ground wires where the surface that a ground was attached to was properly wire brushed and pre-cleaned with acetone. I even attended off hours courses on DC electricity components and circuits.
I have also run and repaired wiring on houses as well. My mother was the daughter of a professional maintenance man for a large chain of drug stores so I learned from her how to replace wall switches and wall sockets and lamp cord plugs when I was still a kid. I do not know it all, but I certainly do know how to replace an RJ plug and have done so a number of times including hard wiring several of my own houses and workshops for computer networks as well as landline phones. Getting all tho color coded thin wires to line up in formation does take patience but I have that, I do lots of fiddly bits stuff, not especially fond of it but it is simply part of the job so I just shift into a being patient mind set and get it done right.

Last edited: