24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ I've driven in a storm like that once and that was in north Idaho between Sandpoint and Coeur d'Alene. I was not the pace car either, and the pace car(s) was doing about 15 mph. Finally the pace car(s) just gave up and we all pulled off the road until it was driveable again. What an experience!

Such an exciting day, Maki! I'm glad you found a nice campsite for tonight and tomorrow. Rain, rain, go away...

I just walked to the market and post office... got some of the things on the list for the "Blood Pressure Down" diet. For example.. plain yogurt, a can of pumpkin, a bag of potatoes, and a bottle of red wine. I also got the wine bottle opener since I didn't have one.

I have no idea really how to open a bottle of wine. Last time I tried it - several years back when I was in Idaho - I remember making a mess and ended up with a broken cork. Any suggestions? I'd ask my daughter for help but I don't want her to go all alcoholic on us again. She quit drinking (anything alcoholic) five years ago or maybe more because it became an issue for a short time. There are a lot of steady wine drinkers in my family. I'm like the only one who has never much been into drinking wine or other types of alcohol. Seriously don't know when I've had some last. I'm just doing this because "Blood Pressure Down" suggests it.

Meanwhile, my systolic blood pressure already dropped about 20 "millimeters of mercury" ... I started eating bananas again and it is like my body said, "Oh yes, I remember POTASSIUM now." Feeling much better already! Maybe VanFan saved my life by suggesting this book.

wanderingsoul said:
^^ I've driven in a storm like that once and that was in north Idaho between Sandpoint and Coeur d'Alene.  I was not the pace car either, and the pace car(s) was doing about 15 mph.  Finally the pace car(s) just gave up and we all pulled off the road until it was driveable again.  What an experience!

Worst rainstorm I was in was in Maine! I wasn't driving, but I remember everyone on the freeway stopping for a bit. I think we pulled off under an overpass.

When I first started vandwelling in North Idaho in 2019 it snowed on September 28 and then there were terrible rainstorms for days. I remember being at the Walmart parking lot or Cabelas in Post Falls with extremely heavy rain pouring down. No insulation. No heater.

North Idaho was the only place I've experienced thunder snow. They have some weird weather up there. What was interesting is all the weather pockets around Lake Pend Oreille. I'd leave Clark Fork and it would be sunny, then hit a pocket of snow around Hope, then sunny again at Sandpoint, then raining at Cocolalla.

My daughter used to drive that road between Athol and Sandpoint almost every day, rain, snow, or sunshine. She worked in Ponderay. I was glad when she quit the job because of all the winter driving.

Yes, I found North Idaho weather to be strange. It frequently included extreme cold, precipitation, winds, fog, and/or sunshine all in one day. I learned that listening to the weather reports told me nothing as it constantly changed.

I was living in Clark Fork and working in Cocolalla for a while. Talk about a drive. Then I moved only marginally closer, was out on Rapid Lightning Rd about between Sandpoint and Clark Fork. That drive home at night from Cocolalla was BRUTAL in the winter. Thankfully I had one of those old standard shift Subarus that would go straight up the side of a mountain in 4WD.

Oops, too late to edit!

I was going to say, I never felt as lonely as I did in North Idaho sometimes. Driving home at 10:00 at night from Cocolalla to Clark Fork (52 miles) or out to Rapid Lightning (halfway up the Colburn-Culver Rd and way past the Pack River Store) and not seeing one other car. Sometimes I'd be so happy to get into Sandpoint (which was about halfway home) and get to that curve where the Chevron station is because it was always lit up and once in a while I'd see a car there getting gas. North Idaho really shuts down by 10:00 pm. lol

Well, that was a period of time when there were a LOT of lessons to be learned and I think I got them all. Also, how to survive when survival seems nearly impossible sometimes.

The worst storm driving experience I ever had was about 40 years ago. I left interstate 80 in the northern section of Pennsylvania and came down route 15 to Central Pennsylvania. At that point route 15 was a 2 Lane Rd. We got into storm just as we left interstate 80 and we drove the slowest possible in the worst pouring rain and literally frightening lightning for four hours. It is normally a one hour trip. I have never seen lightning as active as that. My eyes were Literally hurting. My arms were literally aching from holding onto the wheel so tight. We got off the road near Harrisburg at a Dunkin’ Donuts for some coffee And a much needed break. While we were stopped there the storm stopped. We talked to other travelers in the area and found out that it was a relatively small storm that was very powerful. We had been driving at the same rate as a storm and staying in it the whole way south. If we had stopped anywhere for 15 minutes we would’ve been out of the storm. Live and learn. God bless all of the nomads “no madder” where they be.

^^ Sometimes those little compact storms can be damn powerful! I've seen a couple of them.

@Nature Lover - Speaking of Pennsylvania - it just occurred to me to ask you if you've ever been to a small town called Brady's Bend. My father's father lived there as a child. I'd like to see it someday. Maybe I'd find a distant relative there, even.

I did some exploration along the forest service roads in this area adjacent to the South main entrance of the Grand Canyon Park looking for free dispersed camping that is easy access to both the park and the small town of Tusayan.

Fortunately I found a dozen empty sites on 3 different Forest Service roads that would work. In the morning I will try to claim my favorite one and set up for a 14 day stay. It is very close to the park . As a senior national, park pass holder that gives me easy access to go into the park for free potable water, free dumpster, $2.50 showers and a very reasonably priced laudromat. There is also a post office with general delivery service. The grocery store in the park, while not as cheap as a Safeway, is a lot less expensive and better stocked than the stores in the town of Tusayan.  A grocery store miles away from a city that stocks rendered duck fat and other European specialties; that speaks to catering to visitors from other countries.

Downsides, very high gas prices but not as bad as in California at a discount gas station.  

Upside spectacular sightseeing opportunities whenever I need a break from build chores and making kits for my Etsy store.

Maki:  Don't know how long the entrance lines are these days, but can you still take the free shuttles from the Imax or Best Western in town to skip all that and save gas?

Sounds like a great plan Maki - I haven't been to the Grand Canyon in years. When I  was there ... maybe 1971 ? ...there was a grocery store that had just opened... brand new back then, and it was huge. It had been open for business only a few days.

I had just finished climbing up for two days from the bottom of the canyon and was so hungry! All we had for the last few days to eat was some oatmeal mixed with peanut butter, and not much of that. We were pretty much starving and climbing with not enough energy to get out of there with big packs on our backs. We went into that big grocery store and filled our cart - but all we had was foodstamps... and that one grocery store on federal land would not accept them even though it was a federal program!

So we left... hitchhiked out of there - and a man picked us up and had some compassion and took us to a pancake restaurant in Flagstaff.

I must have been 19 years old then. Long time ago!

At 19 you were all invincible to danger in including dying of boredom from a diet of peanut butter and oatmeal. I think that pancake house is still there. Maybe you will get to revisit it. That would be a great short story to write about meaning the youthful trip climbing out of the canyon and then years later as traveling senior nomad revisting the Canyon grocery store and pancake restaurant. I am pretty sure you could sell that story to a print magazine or e-zine.

There are still a lot of old restaufrants along historic route 66 in Flagstaff which was the main drag then, and still is for that matter. The Howard Johnsons which was around during that time frame served pancake breakfasts then. Very rundown looking now but it is still open.

I’m back at “ base Camp”; Our family’s cabin in a valley Near the Tuscarora State Forest. I still sleep in the van when I’m here at the cabin, but it is nice to have a good long hot water shower. I just found out that our state of Pennsylvania Limits people to 30 days a year camping. There are some creative ways of getting around that as in having somebody else make the reservation in their name for you. etc. I was Unaware of this. I think it’s a new rule to try to discourage people from “living” in the forest.

It’s actually quite cool tonight I don’t know the exact temperature but I’m pulled out a sheet blanket to keep me warm. I had a great day with butterfly and wildflower photography. I am still eating copious amounts of wine berries. If I was able to walk better I could pick them by the gallons. One of my favorite ways to use them as make an egg custard pie and while it’s still liquid throw in several handfuls of wine berries or black raspberries. That is my favorite pie. In fact I can’t think of a pie that isn’t my “favorite”.

Yesterday I went to a restaurant with a friend and had corn pie, A Pennsylvania German tradition in casserole dish with a covered with crust and filled with fresh sweet corn, diced potatoes, a few carrots and a creamy sauce.

TA - I was not familiar with the town you mentioned so I looked it up it appears to be in the greater Pittsburgh area. Looks like it might be a nice place to visit with some Parks etc. When I get in the Pittsburgh area I have to eat a Pamanti brothers sandwich. Comes with meat, cheese, slaw, and french fries all crowded between two pieces of good sourdough bread. Comes with meat cheese slaw and french fries all crowded between two pieces of good sourdough bread. Yes you read that right French fries and slaw in the sandwich. Don’t knock it unless you’ve tried it

All this talk of food is a result of the fact that I’m fasting today. Trying to establish a little bit of discipline

Good night all, it’s 12:05 AM in PA. God bless the nomads wherever they may roam.

^^^ I read about those sandwiches in a Roadfood book. Ever since I discovered Roadfood in the early '80s I've wanted to travel around the country eating.

Hello - thanks for looking at Brady's Bend on the map, Nature Lover. I'd love to visit to see where my grandfather grew up. The family legend is that he was part of a gymnastics team and visited her hometown of Auburn, NY where they fell in love and married, and he never went back to Brady's Bend and cut ties with his family!

I've found that family legends can be inaccurate. On my mom's side of the family ... well, let's leave that for another posting.

@Maki... I will definitely go in search of that restaurant if I ever get back to the Grand Canyon. That might happen sooner than I think.

My sister phoned me today and we talked for almost an hour. Her husband died at the age of 70 on the 17th of July... I had to ask her what started that as he'd been in and out of the hospital since January. It started with a need for gall bladder surgery and being in atrial fibrillation which, in an attempt to correct, an artery was nicked and there was internal bleeding... and all this ended with septicemia and strokes. It just seems so shocking that someone who seems healthy and strong can deteriorate so much in just six months. My sister, being a nurse practitioner for many years, gave me a long and detailed description of the whole situation.

She's planning to have a "Celebration of Life" at the end of September down near San Diego. I hope my van is ready to go by then..... I already told the RV guy about this situation. He thinks it could be done by then. There's just a matter of getting parts ordered and in. I need to go get lumber in a few days.

Rainy thunderstorm afternoon which is of course normal for this time of year. Good thing I am not traveling with a person or pet who is terrified by thunder. The really loud cracks overhead do make me wince as do close flashes of lightening. 

I set up camp near the top of a gentle hill no risk of flash flooding and hopefully not the highest trees in the neighborhood. Also chose this site as the ground is gravelly rather than clay or bare dirt. No sign of trenching by streams of water having run through the camp. No lightening struck trees around.

The paid NFS campground I spent the last two nights in had experienced some fire in the past, scorched tree trunks around. Maybe it was from a lightening storm or a careless camper or even a controlled burn. The answer is probably out there on the NFS site history but I am not curious enough to search it out. The district forest service office is less than a mile from me, right across the turn in to this FR road. The residence cabins for the staff were buit by the Civilian Conservation Corps workers in the era of the great depression years. They did work in this area on all kinds of projects for differrent agencies. They also built cabins at the Grand Canyon Village for the Park Service as well as the rock walls along the rim and trails down into the canyon. Projects such as putting in telephone wires to connect the south and north rims. Quite an adventurous and physically challenging location for those young men to be sent to. A time to rember in their lives to be sure.

For those interested in the story of the CCC at Grand Canyon here is a link to the national park service history writeup. It is not overly long and includes some photos.
https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/historyculture/ccc.htm
Over the years I have come across quite a few CCC projects in parks in various locations in WA state and elsewhere in the West including Texas, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. I know there are a lot of CCC park projects on yhe South Coadtn, but I was not old enough to havfe learned the history  of what I was seeing at that time.  Not too difficult to spot the park projectsv by the age and by the style of the construction. They did alwaysv use local materials to build with.

Pretty good timber and stone work so much of it is in good shape nearly a 100 years later. Craftsmannship to be proud of and make a life long living from the skills learned. But no doubt some would hope to never see a hammer, chisel or shovel again. It was very hard labor.

Had a traveler come thru yesterday. I have people coming thru from time to time and spend a few days camping or just stop for a night. Since she came late snd only had her car and tent it was hardly worth the hassle of putting it up so I stuck her in the little airstream I’m renovating - sorta.

She was very nice and took off first thing this morning to continue her trip. She left me a bar of heavenly smelling home made soap. My 16 year old niece confiscated it as soon as she got her hands on it. I like to put a bar in my closet and drawers with my clothes. So nice to open a drawer and have that fragrance drifting in the air and on my PJs.

Tomorrow I’m off to Owensboro to babysit my mom for the day.

Wondering soul, I have been traveling around the country eating that’s why I’m so darn fat. When I was in the bus tour business I traveled all over the country, some of that traveling was with customers on the bus but much of it was on sales trips and conventions. It was always my habit to ask a bellman or a maid at the hotel where’s the best place to eat in town. Not the fanciest, the best. I found some outstandingly good places that way. I came from a family of over eaters, a few of us in the family got them self disciplined but I’m one of the fat ones in the family. And I have plenty of company.

/////////////////////

I was at my mothers today and she’s a “ Pepsi-addic”. So I had 12 ounces of Pepsi, I know it was cheating and I try to stay away from that stuff now I am awake the caffeine is doing its job. It is 1:10 AM and I’d really like to be sleeping. My mom rarely drinks water I’ve never seen her drink milk, she is always drinking Pepsi all her life. She’s 87 and still Kickin, she’s just one of the lucky ones.

We’re having great weather here in PA it gets in the low 90s but the humidity is not bad right now and actually at night like now I have a flannel blanket on. Don’t ask me what else I have on you really don’t want to know. I am still eating lots of wild wine berries. I can only pick as many as I can reach without being able to walk too far. But they are great.And they’re not that unhealthy for me.

When Social Security comes on the third of next month I’m hoping to take a trip to Western New York. My travel plans have been very hampered over these gas prices. I’ve got to start saving some gas money to get to Florida in November. Since I experienced a Florida winter weather last year I can’t see staying here in the winter anymore.

God bless the nomads. And God if you don’t mind can you do something about those gas prices too.